This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why is there a ps2 system data download.

#1Gamer71525Posted 2/27/2013 10:28:07 PM
this is confusing to me , I have a 160Gb slim PS3,

by reading this description, I should be able to insert a ps2 disc and play it right?

Ps2 system Data
Description of the Software

This is system data for playing PlayStation®2 format software that must be installed on the hard disk of a PLAYSTATION®3 system.

Note that this system data cannot be used on CECHH00 series PLAYSTATION®3 systems (models with 40 GB hard disk).

For US and Canadian users:
(Compatible with CECHA0, CECHB01, & CECHE01)

If you download PS2™ System Data and install it on the PLAYSTATION®3 system, you will be able to play PlayStation®2 format software that is compatible with hard disk installation. For information about compatible software, use the PS3™ system's Internet browser to go to the PLAYSTATION®Network official Web site.

How to Install PS2™ System Data and Play Games

• Installing PS2™ System Data on a PS3™ system's hard disk

PS2™ System Data must first be installed on the PS3™ system's hard disk. Press the download button and following the on-screen instructions to download. When the download completes, the PS2™ System Data will automatically be installed.

(PS2™ System Data is saved in [Game Data Utility] under [Game].)

• Installing PlayStation®2 format software

Insert the disc for the PlayStation®2 format software that is compatible with hard disk installation, and then follow the on-screen instructions to create a game partition on the PS3™ system's hard disk and install the PlayStation®2 format software in it.

The type of data installed, the number of discs used, and the required hard disk space all vary depending on the software in use.

Installed PlayStation®2 format software titles are started under [Game].

Required hard disk space: 7MB
---
PSN: KnightPaladin XBL: DragoonXgears Still waiting for a true sequel to Legend of Dragoon and Xenogears
#2riddlebox89Posted 2/27/2013 10:32:14 PM
It's for the old fat PS3 models, it won't work on slim models.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#3king_maddenPosted 2/27/2013 10:32:47 PM
i believe its to use online for certain ps2 games
#4SaQu1BPosted 2/27/2013 10:36:01 PM
I downloaded it on my slim... don't believe the PSN hype.. I got scammed into downloading it.. but it doesn't not play PS2 disks.
#5BurgerTime79Posted 2/27/2013 10:37:44 PM
king_madden posted...

This.
It's pretty straight forward what the download is for, because it's explained very clearly. You download it on your backwards compatible system, and any PS2 game that needed to access the HDD attachement can access the PS3's HDD.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#6riddlebox89Posted 2/27/2013 11:13:20 PM
SaQu1B posted...
I downloaded it on my slim... don't believe the PSN hype.. I got scammed into downloading it.. but it doesn't not play PS2 disks.

You weren't scammed into downloading it, you downloaded it without researching what it's for, you downloaded it on your own, nobody forced or "scammed" you into downloading it.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#7king_maddenPosted 2/27/2013 11:29:19 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
SaQu1B posted...

You weren't scammed into downloading it, you downloaded it without researching what it's for, you downloaded it on your own, nobody forced or "scammed" you into downloading it.

come on now, you know people dont know what "scam" means here.
#8AwayFromHerePosted 2/27/2013 11:30:23 PM
SaQu1B posted...

It was also free.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#9AstroshakPosted 2/28/2013 4:27:55 AM
BurgerTime79 posted...
king_madden posted...

This.
It's pretty straight forward what the download is for, because it's explained very clearly. You download it on your backwards compatible system, and any PS2 game that needed to access the HDD attachement can access the PS3's HDD.

I'm confused.

The PS2 did not even HAVE a Hard Drive, did not have one released as a peripheral here in the States .. so what is the point of this thing? I've got a fairly large (I think) library, 112 PS2 games.

If the thing did not even have a hard drive, what is the purpose of this download in the north american PSN? Did they release peripherals in Canada or Mexico that they did not release here in the States or something?
#10yattahazePosted 2/28/2013 4:39:28 AM
Astroshak posted...
I'm confused.

The PS2 did not even HAVE a Hard Drive, did not have one released as a peripheral here in the States .. so what is the point of this thing? I've got a fairly large (I think) library, 112 PS2 games.

If the thing did not even have a hard drive, what is the purpose of this download in the north american PSN? Did they release peripherals in Canada or Mexico that they did not release here in the States or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_Expansion_Bay#Hard_disk_drive

?
---
Michael: You're losing blood, aren't you?
GOB: Probably, my socks are wet.