This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JUST4FUN!: What are the WORST video game title pronounciations you've heard?

#1HaloODSTDPosted 2/28/2013 10:46:59 AM
I've been calling Smash Brothers Melee as Smash Brothers "Mee-lee"
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo (Gears 2, Halo Reach, Halo 4)
PSN: Rutgers Student (Killzone 2, Binary Domain)
#2anonymous46773Posted 2/28/2013 10:51:14 AM
Deus Ex as Jews Ex
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#3xPercivala2536xPosted 2/28/2013 10:56:48 AM
My little crap of a cousin(kids man), he is 12 years old and his parental group lets him play CoD non stop.

Everytime I go to his house he starts talking about it, like I care about his 11-6 game on Dom.

Anyways, he talks perfectly normal, but he pronounces Call of Duty as Caw uf Duh-tee.

It's extremely annoying, considering he doesn't have some kind of speech impediment. He is just annoying.
---
"I ran into a mexican dragon earlier, he used Unrelenting Force, but it came out TA COB ELL..." - blasterfaster443
#4MalifacentXPosted 2/28/2013 11:03:37 AM
Probably Ehrgeiz or Suikoden
---
PSN: SeventhLegion
You are a lightbulb assassin.
~Tmac2035 on "Splinter Cell"
#5MyPhantomilePosted 2/28/2013 11:12:51 AM
MalifacentX posted...

How do you actually pronounce Ehrgeiz? Air-guys?
#6HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 11:13:58 AM
MyPhantomile posted...
MalifacentX posted...

How do you actually pronounce Ehrgeiz? Air-guys?

I'd guess Er-gess
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo (Gears 2, Halo Reach, Halo 4)
PSN: Rutgers Student (Killzone 2, Binary Domain)
#7NakMachinePosted 2/28/2013 11:14:55 AM
The PS1 title "Street Sk8er" , note the "8" in the title. My friend used to pronounce it "Street Skeer".
---
The answer to your first question is SHADDUP!
#8ThePatrickPosted 2/28/2013 11:15:23 AM
I remember when Ryga gotoku KENZAN! came out in Japan, Adam Sessler on X-Play was gonna talk the series up a bit to introduce a short segment on how "bizarre" the game was supposed to be (it really wasn't, but I guess they felt they were short on comedy bits?).

Anyway, he mentioned it was the Yakuza series (which he also mispronounces, but it's such a common mispronunciation that it's almost like taking someone to task for pronouncing "Paris" like Paris Hilton rather than the French way), and he mentioned it was called "Ryga gotoku" in Japan.

I swear, I had no idea what he even said and had to go "Oh! He's talking about the Ryga gotoku series, what?" you know? Like, it took a little bit for my brain to make the connection.

That actually happened a few times on X-Play.

In their defense, people who do not speak Japanese really do have a lot of problems saying that. And...it's totally understable! I mean, not only are they foreign words, but there's one of those pesky "ry-" moras that trip English speakers up, even when they're learning the language.

Anyway, it's kinda like gibberish to someone who hasn't seen it before, but the way he pronounced it...was seriously like the sounds just didn't even register to me, it was like hearing some kind of otherworldly language straight out of a Lovecraft novel or something.

The other one I heard mispronounced often was the U.S. name for Shin Gketsu Ichizoku ~Tkon~ Matrimle. Thankfully, they only call it "Matrimle" in English, but that still trips a lot of people up. TC, you're not the only one!

In fact, "mle" is such a commonly mispronounced word that dictionaries and such often list it with the "incorrect" pronunciation. People who speak French will know how to pronounce it, but most people say "may-lay," it seems (which is actually incorrect as the first vowel is more like "eh" like "pet" or whatever than "ay" as in "lay").

You know, it's almost as commonly mispronounced as the word "forte" as in "Jazz piano is my forte!" I've actually heard debates on which way to pronounce that word is correct, and I believe arguments can be made either way. The fact is that it probably comes from the French word "strength," which is pronounced similarly to the word "fort" as in "they stormed the fort." Instead, it is almost always pronounced like "for-TAY" by English speakers, as if it came from Italian like the jargon of the same spelling found in sheet music notation.

In summary, blah blah blah! Sorry for droning on and on, must need a break from the internet or something.

tl;dr version:

Yeah, I hear "melee" mispronounced a lot. People mispronounce a lot of Japanese titles but that's understandable because they probably don't know Japanese.

Seriously, that's all I had to say. Man! I wonder if there's medication for that. OCD or Asperger's treatment meds? Hmm.
---
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored
#9TauriLeaderPosted 2/28/2013 11:15:40 AM
Final Fantasy X.

Not the roman numeral for ten but X. Like in X-Men.
---
Due to recent economic conditions, and the rising cost of Electricity, Gas and Oil, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
#10SomnusNemorisPosted 2/28/2013 11:16:18 AM
Not a game, but some 8 year old on Halo online once referred to my username of AstuteClass as AutoClass.

Andrew House's pronunciation of "Sonic the Hedgehag" was pretty bad during Sony's PS4 announcement! LOL