This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's true! History does repeat itself.

#1Ultra BuuPosted 2/28/2013 11:36:25 PM
Phat PS1 > Slim PSOne.
Phat PS2 > Slim PS2.
Phat PS3 > Slim PS3 > SS PS3 (this is a first)

Thing is, I liked the original phat versions of all three consoles. Why? Because all three of them looked better. Some had more features.

PS1 just looked better. The very first model even had additional jacks to use any set of composite cables.

PS2 had HDD support plus the ability to run Linux to an extent. And looked good while doing so. The slim model could be mistaken for a book. A literal book.

We all know what the original PS3 could do. That heavy weight meant it could never be knocked over. The glossy paint was a nice touch. But the heat was its only real flaw.

But I understand some people would appreciate the lighter consoles if they travel a lot with it. The PS3 will get emulated someday eliminating the need for the console itself anyway.

With all that said I will leave you with a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrwGzb_yhk
---
You're talking to me all wrong. Its the wrong tone. Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron.
#2gilv3rPosted 2/28/2013 11:38:10 PM
Ive always been a fan of the slim versions. Especially the ps2.
#3Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 2/28/2013 11:39:40 PM
I honestly loved the PSone slim. That little guy is a beast with the LCD screen. I never owned one until recently and I bought one at a used game store. I want to track down one of those screens just for the thrill.
#4PHEEliNUXPosted 2/28/2013 11:39:56 PM
Other than PS2 BC, The phat is garbage, Slim is heavy too and doesn't fail as much as phat
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#5AstroshakPosted 3/1/2013 3:23:30 AM
The big problem with the fat model PS3 wasn't the heat it generated - it was the cruddy solder they used.

I never noticed the heat being a problem with my fat PS3. I DID notice it when it went YLoD due to the solder they used in manufacturing the things.
#6killakPosted 3/1/2013 4:31:12 AM
Other than PS2 BC, The phat is garbage, Slim is heavy too and doesn't fail as much as phat

It's just the thermal compound, that is the issue with the original model.
---
I believe in Jesus Christ, the exclamation.........
#7PHEEliNUXPosted 3/1/2013 4:33:12 AM
killak posted...

It's just the thermal compound, that is the issue with the original model.

I somewhat wanted a phat for the BC before, But after buying the Slim and reading more about it i glad i didn't, Though that means if you change the thermal paste means it wouldn't really go YLoD happy? Also i hear the Phat is very loud compared to SS
---
#8killakPosted 3/1/2013 4:40:27 AM
Here, read my topic from the other day.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/65565211

But in regards to YLOD, it's mostly caused by the CPU/GPU seperating from the motherboard, because it gets so hot that it warps. This occurs because the thermal compound is so plentiful and rubbish, that it spills over to the mainboard.

So your CPU gets incredibly hot, the compound bridges and connection between CPU and heatsink (so the fan can start to slowly disperse it, and your mainboard gets 100% of the heat, with zero cooling.
---
You don't ever go full Greer
#9PHEEliNUXPosted 3/1/2013 4:44:40 AM
killak posted...
Here, read my topic from the other day.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/65565211

But in regards to YLOD, it's mostly caused by the CPU/GPU seperating from the motherboard, because it gets so hot that it warps. This occurs because the thermal compound is so plentiful and rubbish, that it spills over to the mainboard.

So your CPU gets incredibly hot, the compound bridges and connection between CPU and heatsink (so the fan can start to slowly disperse it, and your mainboard gets 100% of the heat, with zero cooling.

Well i suppose if my friend's PS3 ever fails, I know what do, Buy it used or get it for free, And replace the thermal paste, VUALA a phat PS3 that actually works very well
---
#10ThamauturgePosted 3/1/2013 4:46:41 AM
I completely agree TC. Honestly, I wish that I would have bought a PS3 at launch instead of six years later... I should have just bought a used 60GB PS3 and gotten it completely reflowed at gophermods to make it run forever lol

I REALLY that my model played PS2 games... plus the design of the original was absolutely amazing
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune