This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Online Multiplayer has killed games?

#1AndehPandyPosted 3/1/2013 7:00:19 AM
Agree or Disagree
#2PHEEliNUXPosted 3/1/2013 7:01:23 AM
D

MMORPGs didn't kill gaming, They helped it
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#3MlREFOXPosted 3/1/2013 7:06:49 AM
Disagree. Gaming has always been a social activity, from pen and paper dungeon grinding to huddling around an arcade cabinet. Only briefly in its history did it become single-player focused and online multiplayer is bringing it back to its social roots.
#4kel25Posted 3/1/2013 7:37:07 AM
Deny. It hasn't killed gaming but it has hurt it.

So many developers feel the needed to tack on a multiplayer mode to try and stop used game sales or to prevent their game from getting a lower review score. In the end many of these online communities are dead within a month of the games release.

The time and money spent on many of these online modes could have gone to adding more to the single player experience, which a player can continue to go back to for years. This is something you can not say for most multiplayer today. Just glancing at my gaming shelf I see several games, from this generation, where the online servers have been shut down. A portion of those games are now completely worthless.

Sure there were a lot of games that had multiplayer back in the day but they all were couch co-op/vs. You can still play the multiplayer modes in those games today.

Multiplayer of today is drastically different than it once was and I personally feel in some ways it is worse.
---
Sony PS4 Conference = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5SVJw4ZcJY
#5huyiPosted 3/1/2013 7:47:10 AM
agree.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#6HaloODSTDPosted 3/1/2013 7:49:35 AM
MMOs have brought a HUGE number of gamers from across the world (namely USA, EU, CHN, KOR, JAP) together in one virtual universe
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo (Gears 2, Halo Reach, Halo 4)
PSN: Rutgers Student (Killzone 2, Binary Domain)
#7You_Need_A_LifePosted 3/1/2013 8:03:07 AM
I agree and disagree. Online multiplayer is fine, but it shouldn't detract from the single player mode of a primarily single player game. Likewise, games that started off as single player games that eventually get multiplayer suck once the multiplayer becomes more important, like Ninja Gaiden 3.
#8Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 3/1/2013 10:50:41 AM(edited)
Disagree. I've been gaming for all the generations and I've had more fun this gen than any other. Gaming is just more frustrating now thanks to your exposure to all sorts of conflicting personality types...griefers, exploiters, cheaters/hackers, and just generally unpleasant people who would rather abuse the people they are playing with than actually enjoy the game. But for every one of those little monsters there are dozens of incredible gamers that treat you like you're their best friend as soon as you enter a match.