This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I just bought a Playstation 3 and I have a lot of questions and issues

#1Earth DjinnPosted 3/1/2013 9:07:49 PM
This is my first ever Sony console, so I have a lot of new games suddenly available to me that I never have before. I've been using my 360 since launch and I love it, but I finally decided to get a PS3 for the exclusives (and also for Bluray playback).

Anyway, coming from the 360 I am having a lot of issues since I find the PS3 setup to be much less user friendly than on Xbox, and also some things which just don't make sense to me.

Like the most recent issue; I downloaded the Killzone 3 demo to try it out and I can't get it to play in HD. For some reason it changes to 480p when I load into the demo. Why does is do this, and how can I change it? Note that I am on component cables, not HDMI. I really hope that that isn't going to stop me from playing some (or all?) demos in HD. I've already had to come to terms with the fact that I can't watch Blurays in HD because of my cables, I really hope there's no translation to gaming.

I'm hoping some people here will be able to help me out as I really do want to get the most out of my new console.
---
I'd sell my Soul, my Self-Esteem a dollar at a time,
for one Chance, one Kiss, one Taste of you my Magdalena...
#2godslayer61Posted 3/1/2013 9:12:46 PM
Earth Djinn posted...
This is my first ever Sony console, so I have a lot of new games suddenly available to me that I never have before. I've been using my 360 since launch and I love it, but I finally decided to get a PS3 for the exclusives (and also for Bluray playback).

Anyway, coming from the 360 I am having a lot of issues since I find the PS3 setup to be much less user friendly than on Xbox, and also some things which just don't make sense to me.

Like the most recent issue; I downloaded the Killzone 3 demo to try it out and I can't get it to play in HD. For some reason it changes to 480p when I load into the demo. Why does is do this, and how can I change it? Note that I am on component cables, not HDMI. I really hope that that isn't going to stop me from playing some (or all?) demos in HD. I've already had to come to terms with the fact that I can't watch Blurays in HD because of my cables, I really hope there's no translation to gaming.

I'm hoping some people here will be able to help me out as I really do want to get the most out of my new console.

yes u need a hdmi cable,is this a joke topic because i cant picture you having a 360 for so long and you know nothing about cables and the ones u need.
---
psn-kish1975 ----------xbox live-godslayer1975------------------wii u-kish1975------3ds-077730466718
#3JulesNeciPosted 3/1/2013 9:13:47 PM
Personally, I love the XMB, but I'm biased since I've been playing Sony consoles since I was little.
It'll take a while to get used to, no doubt. I felt really uncomfortable playing my best friend's Xbox for the same reason - I didn't think the user interface was doable at first, but then I sucked it up and got used to it.

Why don't you go out and buy yourself an HDMI cable? Check Amazon out, since they've got really decent ones. I got mine for $12, I think, and it works like a champ.
You might want to go to Display Settings and toggle things up a little bit, but I don't know what else to say since I've never used component cables before.

Also, you need to download and play Journey right now :P
---
Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Persona 4 Golden (Vita), Ni No Kuni (PS3), Lego Batman 2 (PS3).
Getting a Wii U next month for Lego City Undercover :)
#4Ottopilot666Posted 3/1/2013 9:13:51 PM
Why would you expecting to get Hd quality out of component cables
#5Earth Djinn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 9:18:36 PM
I get 1080 on my Xbox through component, so the idea that anything above 480 is only possible through HDMI is just wrong.
---
#6archizzyPosted 3/1/2013 9:21:40 PM(edited)
Earth Djinn posted...

There is no issue with component cables and gaming. Don't listen to other people that are clueless when it comes to Home Theatre/tvs/audio.

I suspect you don't have 720p checked in the options. If you only check 1080p if you have a game that is 720p only it will default to the lowest resolution.

Now blu-ray movies you will be restricted because of analog sunset on newer consoles but gaming is unrestricted. With that being said some tvs will not accept 1080p over component but this should be mostly a non issue for now since almost all disc based games default boot up is 720p though since you seem to watch movies through your PS3 I would try to get an HDMI cable.

For now either manually change the settings or do the auto detect. From standby power on the system from the physical button on the console and keep it held down, it will beep once and then you will hear a second beep, let go of the button and this should auto configure your settings.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#7Earth Djinn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 9:23:12 PM
Well I have an older TV which can't do progressive, which is also the same reason that I'm forced to use component over HDMI.

I'd love to try that auto-detect method you just mentioned but I just put Heavy Rain in for the first time and apparently there's an update for it that is over 1GB in size so I'll be stuck waiting for that for quite a while.

Speaking of Heavy Rain, I have the Collectors edition and it came with a code for the bonus content which expired at the end of last year. Has anyone had experience with an issue like this? Is there any way I can get my hands on that extra content (that I paid for as part of the CE) or is that just lost to me forever?
---
#8KiLL3R_iNST1NCTPosted 3/1/2013 9:26:52 PM
Earth Djinn posted...
Well I have an older TV which can't do progressive, which is also the same reason that I'm forced to use component over HDMI.

I'd love to try that auto-detect method you just mentioned but I just put Heavy Rain in for the first time and apparently there's an update for it that is over 1GB in size so I'll be stuck waiting for that for quite a while.

Speaking of Heavy Rain, I have the Collectors edition and it came with a code for the bonus content which expired at the end of last year. Has anyone had experience with an issue like this? Is there any way I can get my hands on that extra content (that I paid for as part of the CE) or is that just lost to me forever?

Even though it says expired, I would still try it. Alot of them still work.
---
PSN- IKiLLER_iNSTiNCT
#9archizzyPosted 3/1/2013 9:32:31 PM
Earth Djinn posted...

Ah well that is your issue that you left out. You have a 1080i CRT I take it.

That was one of the big issues in 2006 when the PS3 first launched as those tvs were common then. The PS3 architecture is different than the dedicated hardware scaler in the 360.

The PS3 is software based on individual titles. Basically any title that is 720p only will be downscaled to standard definition for you.

Only titles that support 1080i through scaling will you be able to view with the PS3 scaling and outputting 1080i.

The auto detect won't help you as you just said your tv doesn't support progressive scan,

I can't help you on the DLC code question.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#10Earth Djinn(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 9:33:29 PM
I already tried it and it didn't work. I've had expired codes work on Xbox which is why I still went ahead and entered it.

I'm really disappointed by this too, as it not only has the extra playable DLC included, but also a dynamic theme which I was excited to use instead of that standard color background.
---