This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is about about Japanese games?

#1MMAKSXPosted 3/1/2013 10:23:39 PM
That make them so cool?

Its hard to explain, I am no Japanophile but I will think they make the best games, perhaps its the subtleties, their style? Flair? something.

I just cant see an american or european dev making a game like MGR as cool as they do it, maybe cause they dont care about being weird, wacky and awesome at the same time?

I dont know what it is exactly but when you play a game like the Souls series it distinctly feels Japanese even though it has a western rpg type environment/art style.

And yes I know not everyone loves Japanese games (I think some just hate to be different or because they get tired of hearing about Japanese games) but I think every hardcore gamer can tell when a game is Japanese or Western, and I dont mean something obvious like some anime cliché but something like the souls series, I think any hardcore game can pick up the souls games without knowing anything about it and come to the conclusion that its Japanese rather than a western made game just by playing it.
#2cyberkyberPosted 3/5/2013 7:14:48 AM
They have honour
#3MMAKSX(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 8:47:50 AM
Quote:They have honour
@cyberkyber

What do you mean?
#4SailorSatournePosted 3/5/2013 8:48:58 AM
MMAKSX posted...
@cyberkyber

What do you mean?

They never stole from the rich man's tree, because his son was their friend.
---
Placeholder signature so people don't skip the last line of my posts.
#5ScreamingMidgetPosted 3/5/2013 8:55:43 AM
Depends on the genre...and I'm mainly gonna talk about the genres I mostly play:

Fighting and action games are pretty obvious: Japanese ones have much better mechanics and the gameplay is more fluid. Better artstyle.

RPGs: Better art, better music, normally better gameplay. Stories have gone way downhill, but in the last gens Japanese developed RPGs generally had better stories.
#6cyberkyberPosted 3/6/2013 7:46:13 AM
SailorSatourne posted...
MMAKSX posted...
@cyberkyber

What do you mean?

They never stole from the rich man's tree, because his son was their friend.

I don't know how to put my finger on it, but as of late they have become more westernised.
Dark souls or yakuza 4 remind me of the days of old, res 6 and castlevania lords of shadow do not.