This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't like the new Tomb Raider game...

#41HellsingOrg(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 2:38:38 AM
SCCAN85 posted...
I love how people are totally fine ripping off Helios' head in a closeup version but "cringe" seeing Lara impaled through the throat. Makes no sense, unless because it's the enemy it has less of a "regret" for lack of a better word.

I think it's great personally. I can totally understand where you're coming from tc because I actually stopped playing GoW3 after that scene ... for a while atleast. It was disturbing and just came off as childish to me. I also hated getting killed by a chainsaw as Leon in Re4 but you know what? I stopped dying after that, imo it's a good incentive to not die anymore. Same concept in Dead Space.

I understand the disdain toward that but I also like that devs have allowed it to where you can get the same kind of punishment that you dish out. One of the reasons I really enjoyed RE4 and DS, you don't feel superhuman.

yeah but I'm still sorta scarred from RE4 lol
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#42HellsingOrg(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 4:15:49 AM
Anyway I don't think this game should have been so violent.

Its one thing if Tomb Raider was ALWAYS an M rated violent game from the start but its another thing if it never was like this.

The devs must have some serious psychological disorders if they found transforming an indiana jones exploration adventure action game into horror Resident Evil Dead Space and Mortal Kombat type kills, death and violence.
---
#43delfrickintreePosted 3/7/2013 7:05:55 AM
This new game needs more.... Lara getting thrashed in the jaws of a T-Rex, impaled by spike traps, intentional drowning, burning in lava, swan dives from dozens of stories onto solid pavement, crushed by boulders, burning to death, electrocution, severed by massive blades, mauled by bears and wolves (woo they brought back the wolves!!), and TURNING INTO GOLD TO DEATH.

Ahhh.. back to the CORE elements of Tomb Raider. It's just more realistic now, with some profanity added.
#44HellsingOrg(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 11:45:30 AM
delfrickintree posted...
This new game needs more.... Lara getting thrashed in the jaws of a T-Rex, impaled by spike traps, intentional drowning, burning in lava, swan dives from dozens of stories onto solid pavement, crushed by boulders, burning to death, electrocution, severed by massive blades, mauled by bears and wolves (woo they brought back the wolves!!), and TURNING INTO GOLD TO DEATH.

Ahhh.. back to the CORE elements of Tomb Raider. It's just more realistic now, with some profanity added.

Well Tomb Raider always had supernaturla/paranormal elments so we don't want realistic.
---
#45PhewfusPosted 3/7/2013 12:06:22 PM
This level of violence doesn't bother me in something like a horror game because the point of a horror is to horrify and scare you.

The level of violence in this game doesn't really match the tone of the pulp adventure genre, it feels out of place.
#46RelentlessEcho7Posted 3/7/2013 12:39:35 PM
The violence in the game is actually appropriate and enhances the survival and innocence themes. Not to mention adding realism, thus allowing the player to sympathize with Lara. And it's not over the top either, it's just realistic. The realistic nature of the violence makes it seem worse than it actually is, because its realistic. If anyone were put in Lara's situation, so much worse things could happen. This game just scrapes the surface really. In the boulder death scene, instead of Lara getting crushed and simply gasping for breath, we could of heard the highly audible crunching of her bones and see her eyes pop out and hit the screen. That is over the top and adds nothing to the narrative nor the atmosphere.

The entire focus of the gaming is realistic survival. It's not about globe trotting and controlling a sex doll who dual wields gigantic pistols and backflips five feet, it's about controlling a person who is put in a hellish situation. Something quite similar to horror. And honestly, the series needed a change. Uncharted has more or less took the spirit of the original series so it would be redundant and boring for TR to continue its summer blockbuster tirade. This change is quite good IMO. I'm glad to see Lara Croft as a character instead of a dual - wielding sex symbol (which i didn't mind back in the day).

And the reboot is pretty damn good, gameplay wise (and i'm aware of the discrepancy between this and the narrative, but thats because its a game) graphic wise, and story wise. Why let violence ruin one of the year's best gaming experiences? And I understand if the violence irks people, but just realize its actually there for a reason. It's no God of War or Fallout.

Btw, violence disturbs me if its too over the top. Manhunt, which came out nearly a decade ago, disturbs the hell out of me with its ultra violence. That is one game that makes my skin crawl, it is one of the only games that makes me question my actions despite being fiction. TR is a PG film compared to Manhunt.
#47Mavado 2 NitaraPosted 3/7/2013 12:59:23 PM
Alucard is disappointed in you, TC.
---
Do you like our owl?
http://www.backloggery.com/monstresacre
#48HellsingOrg(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 6:09:07 AM
Mavado 2 Nitara posted...
Alucard is disappointed in you, TC.

As long as Sir Integra isn't then I'm fine :)
---
#49KOTRwhoopsPosted 3/9/2013 6:12:07 AM
I do.
---
PLAYING - DmC (PC), God of War: COO (PS3), Infamous (PS3), Tomb Raider (PC)
MOST WANTED - GTAV, Lightning Returns, Last of Us, Bioshock Inf, RE: Revelations
#50Yankeehazard191Posted 3/9/2013 6:52:48 AM
Tc just gets butthurt by violence he makes topics all the time about how he doesn't like gore blah blah blah
---
You don't have daddy issues! Now Luke Sky Walker that guy has daddy issues.