This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The best Final Fantasy games considering five criteria; not all-time favorite...

#1furrybeaversPosted 3/2/2013 9:34:40 PM
I want an individual listing, not an average. Analyze the story, writing, and overall mechanics and let me know your favorites IN EACH CATEGORY (not an average).

Overall Story - From beginning to the end. When the protagonist wakes up to when his/her story is completed. Sequels should not be counted unless the story was MEANT to have a sequel.

Characters - Favorite characters. Development. How they act and react. How they feel. How they succumb to certain situations. Sequels should only be recognized if initially intended.

Writing - The best writing. You be the judge. Initial localization 'SHOULD' be a factor. Re-releases CAN be a factor (newer releases having better/worse localization), but not required.

Gameplay - Can't be more obvious. The best battle system, customization, equipment, items, ATB, CTB, WHATEVER-TB. The best of YOUR best.

Music - This can't be too difficult to ascertain. My guess: should be somewhat unanimous.

Will give my opinions after the first few posts.

Cheers!
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni, PSP games (not Persona; I refuse), Dust 514, watching The Shield; among other things
Care less, have power
#2theofficefan99Posted 3/2/2013 9:43:00 PM
furrybeavers posted...
I want an individual listing, not an average. Analyze the story, writing, and overall mechanics and let me know your favorites IN EACH CATEGORY (not an average).

Overall Story - From beginning to the end. When the protagonist wakes up to when his/her story is completed. Sequels should not be counted unless the story was MEANT to have a sequel.

Characters - Favorite characters. Development. How they act and react. How they feel. How they succumb to certain situations. Sequels should only be recognized if initially intended.

Writing - The best writing. You be the judge. Initial localization 'SHOULD' be a factor. Re-releases CAN be a factor (newer releases having better/worse localization), but not required.

Gameplay - Can't be more obvious. The best battle system, customization, equipment, items, ATB, CTB, WHATEVER-TB. The best of YOUR best.

Music - This can't be too difficult to ascertain. My guess: should be somewhat unanimous.

Cheers!

Overall Story- Tie between VII, IX, Tactics and Type-0

Characters- IX. I would honestly say that XIII is the clear winner here if Snow and Hope didn't exist and if SE didn't go overboard with Vanille's moans and high pitched voice.

Writing- IX and Tactics.

Gameplay- XIII, X, X-2 and Type-0.

Music- VIII, IX and XIII.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#3caffiend7Posted 3/2/2013 9:45:11 PM
VI and tactics seem to fit this category
#4xPercivala2536xPosted 3/2/2013 9:52:46 PM
Overall Story - I'd go with Final Fantasy IX, great, somewhat original story, with a great villain and ending.

Characters- I'd go with IX again, it has a lot of characters, and each one of your party members goes through changes, from Vivi's growing up to Steiner becoming more than a drone for the system he was apart of. Even characters that come in later than expected have great growth, such as Freya.

Writing- IX has some pretty good writing, but I still feel like XIII has some of the best actual writing, as for some of the voice actors reading these lines, not so much. So, IX gets it for me there.

Gameplay- Honestly, I enjoyed XII(12s) gameplay, battle system and overall set up quite a lot. I liked everything about that game, but I feel there has been better overal FF games, such as IX, and IX had solid gameplay, a tried, yet tuned battle system, and some side quick time events that weren't annoying, or out of the way hard, or even challenging, it just kept you engaged.

Music- In my opinion XI, the MMO has the best music in any of the games, but that's because I literally spent almost 5 years in that game, and probably accumulative of a year alone in Juno or San so I enjoy that music. But besides that, I would once again go with IX. Great soundtrack, fits each situation and sounds great.

I may sound like an FF IX fanboy, but I'm not. If somebody gave me the choice to play IX or any other FF right now, I'd pick 6, but I do love me some Kefka.
---
"I ran into a mexican dragon earlier, he used Unrelenting Force, but it came out TA COB ELL..." - blasterfaster443
#5rswsc0407Posted 3/2/2013 9:56:00 PM
This should be interesting considering I haven't played all that many of them.

Overall Story - FF6- I really like how all of the characters are completely different from each other and have completely different backgrounds. I also like the nice little swerve when Kefka actually completes his objective and basically destroys the entire world. They didn't do things like that when the game was made. The only other one I can think of that pulled a swerve like that would be PSIII.

Characters - FF4 Cecil- His character goes through a ton of crap throughout the game(being betrayed by someone he thought was his friend is a big one) and how he comes full circle as a character. He starts out the game believing that what he's doing and what he's doing it for are the right thing, but then he realizes he's made a huge mistake once he sees first hand the results of his actions and pretty much tries to make up for his past mistakes.

Writing - To me, writing and the story are the same thing, so I'd be saying the same thing over again.

Gameplay - FF7- I've got to go with 7 mostly because of the Materia system, it allowed for tons of completely different combos of Materia so there was a ton of customizing to be had. That and the Summons they had in it and they way they looked was and still is awesome.

Music - FF7- Like you said this one is obvious because IMO and a lot of others, this one is the one with the most memorable soundtrack than any of the others(mostly for One Winged Angel, but still) there are so many of the tracks that I can remember how they go and everything even if I haven't played the game in years. IMO, the only other songs that were that memorable are the main theme, and the battle/end of battle theme(I love how in Advent Children the Victory theme was Tifa's ringtone)
---
Red Sox World Series Champions 2004 & 2007= My ID. PSN ID- rswsc0407
#6AalviPosted 3/2/2013 10:06:06 PM
furrybeavers posted...

Cheers!

My opinion is not well thought out atm
Overall Story- FFVII
Characters- FFIX
Writing- FFVII
Gameplay- FFVII
Music-(impossible to accurately answer) FF Tactics

I just realized how tough this is, since from this it would seem like FFVII is my favorite but in terms of those categories when I think about it, It's hard to put FFX, FFIV, FFVI or FFVIII in place of the selected games per category.
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#7furrybeavers(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 10:06:28 PM
Overall Story - Tied 10 and 9. I think 10 may have the upper hand for me for the sheer fact that I love the father vs son turn in the final quarter of 10. But you gotta love the Broadway-like reveal of Zidane at the end of 9. Amazing.

Characters - Tied again 10 and 9 for me. 9 had some characters that I wished they fleshed out a little better (that red-headed assassin with Amarant? L-something). But 10 had voice acting which just immersed me into the changes the characters went through.

Writing - See I'm not too sure where this category plays. I love the dialogue between certain characters, but others are just, 'meh'. Writing would go to 9. Or 8. Or 12. I'm not sure. Voice acting seems to somehow play a part in this category, too. Which would just throw 12 into the garbage disposal.

Gameplay - I will be flamed for it, but I had a lot of fun with 13's battle system. Couple that with 12's License Board (which was the most freedom for a FF ever) and it would have been the greatest battle system of the series. But F-that equipment upgrade system. Great concept; horrible execution.

Music - 10. To Zanarkand. I can still hear that song as if it's just a part of my life lol. Don't ask me why (I was 13 when X was released stateside), but it just stands one of the pinnacles of my childhood.
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni, PSP games (not Persona; I refuse), Dust 514, watching The Shield; among other things
Care less, have power
#8furrybeavers(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 10:09:35 PM
Writing is a hard category to gauge. And yes, I figured most would pick FFVII for music lol
---
Care less, have power
#9BleuPosted 3/2/2013 10:16:59 PM
Overall story: I like VI and X, But I think VI is better overall

Characters: VI Hands down, There's no single MC. All of your party is MC in their own story. Love the character development, you get the chance to see your PC growth along the game

Writing: I also think this is the same with story so I'll go w/ VI again

Gameplay: XII (for customization), X (for battle system), VII (for side quests)

Music: X. the OST & Zanarkand theme are my fave game music of all time
---
PSN: ReinBleu2nd
#10PoorCountryPosted 3/2/2013 10:27:17 PM(edited)
furrybeavers posted...

Cheers!

It's hard to dissociate characters, how they act and react, feel, and how they "succumb" to certain situations from "overall story". I'm not sure what you mean by this. I know the difference between main plot and subplot, but sometimes the subplot makes up the more significant portion of a story's appeal than the "main plot". Final Fantasy VIII, for example. I think the story of Squall is better than the "main plot", I think it's where the storyteller's passion lies.

If we think of "overall story" as just the main plot events, then for overall story: Final Fantasy Tactics and what I played of XII.

Characters: VIII, XIII, and Tactics. VIII and XIII both have a cast that is two-halves cool and totally stupid. Tactics' is good all around but I never felt a personal connection to any of them.

Writing: XII.

Gameplay: X.

Music: VIII.

EDIT: Also, some people here think of "writing" as "story". I think of it as how things are conveyed through writing -- or in other words, how they're written.

Friendly, lively girl example A: What are you up to, Donica?

Friendly, lively girl example B: What'cha up to, Donica ol' sistah?

It's up to you to determine which best represents the friendly, lively girl who's addressing Donica. You could say example B is most demonstrative of her given personality and is better for that reason. You could say it's over the top and undermines the feel of the work as a whole. You could say that regardless of how well it represents the character, it's the most fun to read and is better because of it.