This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I buy used games for 5 dollars cheaper than new games.

#51Merc123Posted 3/7/2013 2:52:05 PM
I usually do not support gamestop anymore, not because i hate them, but i usually can get an older game cheaper online, and if i really want to pre order a game i do it off Amazon and just have it delieverd to my house on release day. Unless Gamestop has really cool pre order i don't bother.

The last time i was debating used vs new in the store though, i bought new. It was a 5 buck difference but the used case was pretty much ripped apart with huge gashes in the front an sides, while the gutted "new" copy was in pretty nice shape.
#52SolidKnightPosted 3/7/2013 2:55:53 PM
I only buy new because I like my stuff in pristine condition.
#53darkphoenix181Posted 3/7/2013 3:00:21 PM
saving $5 is something.

If you bought 100 games over a year you have saved $500 that year
---
most nostalgic games: FF6-8, Legend of Legaia, Megaman Legends 1-2, Starcraft, Champions of Norrath 1-2. Official Motomu Toriyama of the Final Fantasy XV board.
#54ChaoticKnucklesPosted 3/8/2013 7:44:09 AM
Doukou posted...
RetroFanGirl posted...
kel25 posted...
craelon posted...
People claiming they won't buy something cheaper when its presented in front of them are all lying. If they weren't, Gamestop would be dead. As it stands now, I believe they were actually adding stores.

I guess I am lying because I will only buy a used game if I am unable to buy a new copy from a store. I'd rather spend $5 more and support the developer.

Too bad you're only supporting the publisher.

The publisher supports the developer.

Not based on individual game sales they don't. They pay them for making and finishing production on the game. As I said earlier, development studios don't get royalties for every copy of the game that sells. By the time the game is in your hands at GameStop, the development studio has already seen all the money that they're going to see for that particular title. At that point the publisher is trying to recoup what they spent on having the game developed and after that trying to actually make a profit on it. Every retail dollar spent goes towards the publisher's bottom line. Now while it's true that if the game sells a ridiculous amount that the publisher will most likely ask the developer to make more games resulting in more money for them, buying new doesn't directly support the developer.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#55SpaceMarineZackPosted 3/8/2013 8:02:45 AM
I buy new and used, if it is recent release and I like the game I buy NEW but if I can save 15-20 I buy used.
#56PolishCockatielPosted 3/8/2013 8:13:40 AM
craelon posted...
People claiming they won't buy something cheaper when its presented in front of them are all lying. If they weren't, Gamestop would be dead. As it stands now, I believe they were actually adding stores.

I don't buy used games if its only $5 cheaper than a new copy. On the other hand lets say GTA5 is still $60 in stores but gamestop is selling it for $30 used... I'd bite.
#57SetzeraPosted 3/8/2013 8:45:44 AM
lol @ people who go in to gamestop a week after release and get $5 off.

If saving money was really important, you could wait a little longer and get it for $25 off. Then, after buying 2 games used, you'd have saved enough to get a new one at full price, or 2 more used ones at half price.
#58realskillz1990Posted 3/8/2013 9:09:57 AM
EnforcerICE posted...
lol @ people who go in to gamestop a week after release and get $5 off.

If saving money was really important, you could wait a little longer and get it for $25 off. Then, after buying 2 games used, you'd have saved enough to get a new one at full price, or 2 more used ones at half price.

lets break down this idiotic thinking here
customer A buys alien CM new for total of $65
customer B buys aliens CM used a week later for $55 bucks total (tax and 10% off)
Customer A plays the game hates it and has to either sell it or keep a $65 coaster
Customer B hates the game and can either exchange for another $55 game or get a full refund.

So boys and girls customer B is clearly smarter and the only one who is getting lol at is the person who bought the game new for developer loyalty because the developer could give 2 ****s about you.
---
You release your game and it has disc locked content and day 1 dlc I will just buy your game used.
#59Thor61Posted 3/8/2013 9:15:26 AM
If you wanna save money buy Amazon Prime that way you save gas money and you don't have to support that poo hole.
#60Lord_TenseEyePosted 3/8/2013 9:35:39 AM
RyuuHou25 posted...
blablablax17 posted...
doraemonllh1989 posted...
get a better job

I got an amazing job actually.
But if i buy cheaper, I can buy more.

You'd have to buy 12 games at once in order to "save" enough to afford that extra one you wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

Genius.

Ironic that you'd imply that he's the stupid one. That $5 he saves now, he can put towards a pre-order on another game.

Btw, what sort of logic is that? Honestly, that's one of the most stupid posts I've ever read.

That's like saying, "oh I want to save a hundred dollars so I'll spend $500 on the ps store and that way i'll get $100 back."

Also, video games aren't the only thing everyone spends their money on.

If I'm not mistaken, gamestop also has this thing where if you buy one of their cards (for a small one time fee ~ $10 or less I think), you get an additional 10% discount.

That ends up being $5.49 more saved on a game priced at $54.99.