This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

120GB PS3 Slim's fans...should I be worried?

#1arczero_xPosted 3/5/2013 9:10:57 AM
Hi,

I recently got a used PS3 Slim (120GB, CECH 2012A) and I noticed that there's a noticeable whirring sound when the system is turned on. It doesn't matter if there's a game running or just in the XMB and the sound is the same.

Should I be worried or is this normal? It's not exactly loud but I'm just worried this could actually be a result of a problem in the future.

Thanks for any input!
---
http://backloggery.com/arczero
Whatever that is on your mind is my signature.
#2este914Posted 3/5/2013 9:12:47 AM
How are you sure it's the fan? Might it be the bluray drive? The hard drive even?
Hard to pinpoint what could be wrong, exactly.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#3arczero_x(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 9:17:58 AM
You're right. I can't say for sure if it's the fan, but the sound is there even if I'm not doing anything and just leaves the PS3 running in the XMB so I'm not sure if it's the BD-Drive or the Hard drive itself.
---
#4este914Posted 3/5/2013 9:33:28 AM
Even if it's just sitting on the XMB screen the hard drive is on and functioning, it could be a problem with that, or perhaps the fan, maybe you are correct. You might be able to eliminate the idea of it being the bluray drive if you have no disk inserted and it's still making that sound.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#5HakuPosted 3/5/2013 9:37:17 AM
Mine kinda makes a whirring noise. Only when it is first switched on though, pretty sure it's just the fan running at low rpm, it's not really loud, I just sit close to my console. Soon as the system warms up, the noise goes.

Been there since new, always just sounded like a low rpm fan to me.
#6arczero_x(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 11:01:36 AM
Haku posted...
Mine kinda makes a whirring noise. Only when it is first switched on though, pretty sure it's just the fan running at low rpm, it's not really loud, I just sit close to my console. Soon as the system warms up, the noise goes.

Since when did you have your PS3? DId you not experience any issues like the system shutting down by itself or anything?

I'm about to upgrade the harddrive now to 1TB so this will eliminate the possibility of being the harddrive later on.

Any more inputs are welcome!
---
#7SetzeraPosted 3/5/2013 12:10:39 PM
I've heard the 120gig can be a bit loud at times, my girlfriends 120 can be occasionally, including a weird laser track noise randomly.

My 160gig initially makes some noise, but it's the blu-ray reading the disc. I know because if I boot it up without a disc it's perfectly quiet.

All you can really do is give it time to see if anything happens, if you have a limited warranty / return time, I'd say go to the store you got it from and ask them to plug in and turn on one of the exact same model number, if it sounds the same you're good, if the one at the store sounds better, exchange it for that one.
#8AlltraPosted 3/5/2013 12:15:58 PM
My 120GB makes loud ass noises all the damn time. Hell, it's making some right now, a kind of really loud whirling/humming noise. Does it all the time, has since I first got the damn thing, and I've owned the damn thing for 4 years now. I haven't had any issues with it at all, other than having to open it up back in October and give it a thorough cleaning on the inside because of a ton of dust buildup.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
#9arczero_x(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 1:32:41 PM
Thanks very much for the input, gentlemen.

I just replaced the harddrive and also removed the Blu-Ray disc inserted and it's still having this noticeable whirring noise. I only have 1 week of warranty for this thing so perhaps I'll do some testing first before I can return it since this was just shipped.
---
#10HakuPosted 3/5/2013 5:00:58 PM
arczero_x posted...
Haku posted...

Since when did you have your PS3? DId you not experience any issues like the system shutting down by itself or anything?

I'm about to upgrade the harddrive now to 1TB so this will eliminate the possibility of being the harddrive later on.

Any more inputs are welcome!

Since November 09. Never had any issues.