This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So today I learned what "Season Pass" is in gaming terms and saw people excited

#1darkphoenix181Posted 3/5/2013 4:02:40 PM
about buying one. So I guess EA is right, gamers do want to pay more for video games.
I mean, season pass announced before a game comes out means what? It means pay more for the full experience.

What is the difference between charging $70 for a new game and
$60 + $10 for dlc?
Diff is you aren't forced to buy the dlc however, if most gamers do buy the dlc anyways, then EA actually made a good point.
---
most nostalgic games: FF6-8, Legend of Legaia, Megaman Legends 1-2, Starcraft, Champions of Norrath 1-2. Official Motomu Toriyama of the Final Fantasy XV board.
#2nihilist212Posted 3/5/2013 4:04:35 PM
Well, a season pass is a good idea for a game if you plan on buying the DLC for it. So game's like COD, and say Borderlands it's good to get it so you can always get the new maps/levels and not have to buy it each time. I can see the frustration people have with it of course.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#3cycledancePosted 3/5/2013 4:05:38 PM
doesn't sound like you know what a season pass is or what ea said about customers being happy about micro transactions. try again.
#4darkphoenix181(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 4:06:57 PM
cycledance posted...
doesn't sound like you know what a season pass is or what ea said about customers being happy about micro transactions. try again.

so you are saying 3 dlcs released over a few months is macro transactioning?
---
most nostalgic games: FF6-8, Legend of Legaia, Megaman Legends 1-2, Starcraft, Champions of Norrath 1-2. Official Motomu Toriyama of the Final Fantasy XV board.
#5-Crazy_Dude-Posted 3/5/2013 4:17:04 PM
Season passes sound good in theory but requires trust from the developer to make DLC you'll enjoy. I think it works better with some games than other. CoD for example if you enjoy it and intend to buy new map packs then you might as well get the season pass as it'll be cheaper. Games where it doesn't really work is for ones with both a multiplayer and single player. Mass Effect 3 is primarily a single player experience with tacked on multiplayer, some people may enjoy it but most people buy ME3 for the single player (I know I did). But DLC for that game is split between multiplayer stuff and single player stuff so unless you enjoy both aspects you're going to be out of pocket.

But if loads of people buy season passes then the publisher, having got a ton of money already without actually releasing anything may get lazy and produced half-arsed stuff or not give sufficient resources to create compelling DLC thus getting a greater profit.

If publishers weren't so greedy I'd have more faith in the season pass idea but unfortunately there's a large amount of evidence to the contrary.
#6AlltraPosted 3/5/2013 4:19:33 PM
I'd rather have a Complete Edition, the entire game in one physical package for one single price.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
#7SigmaHacielPosted 3/5/2013 4:20:41 PM
Season Pass is basically the best form of e-begging.

It makes Kickstarter look legit, as you are STILL buying into content that doesn't exist, but you aren't buying from a nobody. You are buying from an actual company.
#8nihilist212Posted 3/5/2013 4:22:08 PM
Alltra posted...
I'd rather have a Complete Edition, the entire game in one physical package for one single price.

I try to wait for those as much as possible, but sometimes I can't help it.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#9omescythePosted 3/5/2013 4:30:14 PM
you know buying a season pass is cheaper then buying all the dlc a season pass would get you seperatly. pay up front now to save in the future.
#10SigmaHacielPosted 3/5/2013 4:30:55 PM
omescythe posted...
you know buying a season pass is cheaper then buying all the dlc a season pass would get you seperatly. pay up front now to save in the future.

Yes,buy literal vaporware instead of waiting to see if the DLC will even happen.