This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Publisher with the worst business practices?

#31thesnoopmeisterPosted 3/6/2013 11:39:51 AM
I just watched the South Park with Rob Reiner and anti smoking. The whole episode reminded me of this board.
#32LionheartCJPosted 3/6/2013 11:41:34 AM
kel25 posted...
Capcom. They've been caught on several occasions for having disc locked content that they charge their fans to unlock. They also cancelled their Mega Man Legends game stating that people weren't interested enough in the beta, which they wanted people to pay for.

These are just a couple of the bad business practices that Capcom has been guilty of this generation.

Capcom have always had questionable business tactics (Street fighter II turbo hyper ex + zero), but their games more than made up for it.....this gen however its a different story, they have kinda earned the name crapcom

ps. i love street fighter so its not a diss
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q - Best piece of videogame music, ever
#33riddlebox89Posted 3/6/2013 11:48:15 AM
deadmarv posted...
Other - You forgot bethe$da and how they treat PS3 owners.

So the PS3 being a difficult system to develop games for is Bethesda's fault?

Oh you're talking about all the bugs and glitches in their games? Hey guess what? Those bugs and glitches are also present in the PC and 360 versions.

Or is it the fact that there's bugs in the game in general? You do know that Bethesda does make some pretty big games yes? Do you honestly think games that big are going to be completely bug free from day one? Lol what a joke.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#34vervainePosted 3/6/2013 11:54:42 AM
I hate what Capcom is doing with their franchises, but the most anti-consumer company is EA, no doubts.

Atlus deserves a special mention (Europe!), though they seem more like clueless jerks, not hostile and focused like EA.

... It's hard to think of a publisher I like >.>
#35deathsaber79Posted 3/6/2013 12:07:09 PM
Well, the biggest bads are definitely EA/Activision to me, with EA taking the cake.

They exhibit the widest example of

1. influencing changes in developers visions in the name of making games "mass market"- see Dead Space 3, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, etc.
2. Using the most questionable DLC practices- day one DLC, preorder DLC, in game intrusions pitching the DLC, now microtransactions built in game
3. Pushing the market into the barkrupt "free to play" zone
4. Use of codes to play online
5. Forcing Origin on us at every opportunity.

Activision milks their franchses to their doom, and then abandons them like garbage once the last sale is made- but at least Call of Duty games ship as a complete games, have no online passes, and the DLC actually adds new content- Call of Duty Elite was even made free this year- actually they were sort of generous (in a greedy Bobby Kotick kind of way) year.

Capcom- I really don't fault as badly as many- yes, they've done some scummy DLC things- sell DLC for stuff already on disc, and milk their own series with special editions to the wazooo but in the end they make good games.

Square Enix wins the stupid award for releasing a non well received game, then bullheadedly releasing endless sequels for it while refusing to make one of a dozen games from properties they already have which people woudld be absolutely estatic to see a new entry for.

Ubisoft- they are scary to me, because they feel like they are EA in training right now- the endless annual Assassins Creed games, the blantant trolling of Wii U Fans who thought they were getting an exclusive Rayman to have the rug brazenly pulled out from under them 3 weeks prior to launch, and then ignoring the outrage- the shameless pushing of their own budding UPlay "service". I for one won't forget Rayman when I'm asked to buy Assassins Creed again this year.
#36NayikoPosted 3/6/2013 12:12:16 PM
It's a tie between EA and Capcom for me.

EA for being the horrid business they are, with no apparent QA testing for most of their games at all. And even when they do acknowledge the problem, it takes them months of saying "they're working on it" before they do anything.

Capcom for the DLC stuff. 60$ for a new game+30$ in costumes, then release a new version of the game with all the previous DLC for 50$+new costumes to buy.
#37deadmarvPosted 3/7/2013 1:19:59 AM
riddlebox89 posted...
deadmarv posted...
Other - You forgot bethe$da and how they treat PS3 owners.

So the PS3 being a difficult system to develop games for is Bethesda's fault?

Oh you're talking about all the bugs and glitches in their games? Hey guess what? Those bugs and glitches are also present in the PC and 360 versions.

Or is it the fact that there's bugs in the game in general? You do know that Bethesda does make some pretty big games yes? Do you honestly think games that big are going to be completely bug free from day one? Lol what a joke.

First, bethe$da doesn't develop games for PS3, they PORT them from PC or xbox.

Second, you post that the PS3 is difficult to develop for, but bethe$da is the only big developer that seems to have this problem. How many years have they been "developing"(PORTING) games for PS3 and still have the same bugs, glitches, and freezes?

Last, this discussion about EA and Campcom being "evil" because they offer DLC, if you don't want it, DON'T BUY IT. I bought and beat Dead Space 3 and enjoyed it without ordering any DLC. And at least you don't have to wait over half a year like PS3 owners had to wait for Dawnguard.
---
All PS3 owners should boycott Bethesda.
#38AnthonM2Posted 3/7/2013 1:24:16 AM
No wonder EA is the worst company in US, the only thing keeping it alive is government funding.
#39CruorComaPosted 3/11/2013 12:05:08 AM
The recent Colonial Marines controversy recently certainly makes me think of Sega. It's sad 25 TimeGates employee's took the fall for Sega's and Gearbox' combined failure of leading the project.
---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?
#40RainIsMyDrugPosted 3/11/2013 12:32:47 AM
Capcom > The BS of "insert game title " with some kind of ultimate edition. That require you to rebuy the game again if you want the new content and the new content " isnt " available as a DLC