This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I never buy used games

#1SolidKnightPosted 3/6/2013 10:40:33 PM(edited)
They're always beat to hell. What were their former owners doing to them?
#2caffiend7Posted 3/6/2013 10:40:25 PM
well there is a hole.....
#3gzus_ADPosted 3/6/2013 10:43:36 PM
Gamefly's used games are in great shape. They come with their original boxes and manuals, sans ugly stickers like Gamestop.
---
[PSN]: stray_dog_strut
End all war now // I write @ http://writersbloq.com/frank-noh
#4BurgerTime79Posted 3/6/2013 10:45:58 PM
That's odd. I tend to buy quite a few used games, and I can typically find what I want without purchasing a trashed copy. Might be because of your location, or in some cases it can be the specific game you're looking for. I know I've passed up a couple games in the past because I could never find one in good condition.

You can't tell the difference between new and used in a vast majority of my collection.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#5star_guy_100Posted 3/6/2013 10:48:55 PM
at gamestop there always pretty beat up. i rarely buy used games but when i do, i do it on amazon and look for like new, and ones that seem to be private owners who are selling some of there games. and have pretty good luck

normally its dumb to buy used. i buy my games on amazon almost 100%, and most of the time i buy new games at a cheaper price then what best buy and gamestop sells used games for. games i buy used are usually out of print or games that i dont feel are good enough to deserve my money going to the publisher/developer, like re6 or dmc
#6BurgerTime79Posted 3/6/2013 10:55:42 PM
I've made one used game purchase on Amazon, and it didn't turn out well. The guy lied about the condition. "Like new" to him was a rental copy with permanent marker on the top of the disc and rental stickers all over the back of the case. That being said, I don't look at Amazon as a bad place to get games. Unlike some people who have one bad experience with Gamestop and suddenly they act as if the CEO of the company destroyed their life, so they feel the need to warn everyone about the "evil corporation".

I must have some of the best Gamestops in my area, or I'm just incredibly lucky to find used copies of the games I want that look like someone returned it the next day.
---
#7TheCyborgNinjaPosted 3/7/2013 1:28:54 AM(edited)
There's a store here called "Play N Trade," and I honestly think the only games they ever have traded in were either rejected by every other store's staff or are defective copies EB, Best Buy, etc. sell them for cheap. I've been in there a few times, and the odd time I have found something I want to buy, it looks like somebody intentionally destroyed the disc. Their defense is that they resurface them for you for free if you want. That's fine, except for how close the data is to the bottom on a Blu-ray, likely resulting in wrecking it further.

Another one, Willow, has awesome prices, and they don't take PS3 games with scratches. However, these plastic sleeves they store the discs in leave scratches on the discs sometimes. It's madness. I don't know how it happens, but you can tell if a 360 game is from there because of how odd and distinct the scratch is. PS3 ones are a lot harder to tell, as they resist it more. Either way, their stuff always works, and it's still a good place, and their stuff is usually better looking than EB's. To their credit, the EB locations here are pretty picky and almost always have at least 1 mint looking used copy of whatever I want.

---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#8ThePuddingManPosted 3/7/2013 1:30:16 AM
Every now and then I'll buy a used game from Gamefly when they have one of their big sales. They've always been in excellent, basically new, condition. Literally the most I've ever seen on a game from them is a fingerprint. No clue why their games are so much better taken care of than say a GameStop or something but they definitely are, in my experience.
#9BurgerTime79Posted 3/7/2013 1:42:09 AM
There's one Play N Trade about an hour and a half from where I am now, and the biggest complaint I have with them are their stickers. Yes, the complaint most people have with Gamestop, I have with a different company. There have been instances where they've put the sticker over the label on an NES or SNES game, and peeling it off results in destroying the label.
A locally run retro place 30 minutes from me has a lot of stuff, but they don't care about condition. They'll sell a copy of a rare game at full price, regardless of whether or not the case is in pristine condition, or it looks like someone soaked it in the sink.

Everyone raves about Gamefly, but don't they put put one of those ID rings around the middle of the disc like Netflix does?
---
#10ThePuddingManPosted 3/7/2013 1:46:08 AM
BurgerTime79 posted...

Everyone raves about Gamefly, but don't they put put one of those ID rings around the middle of the disc like Netflix does?

No, they don't.