This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection or the Essential Collection?

#1BubbagumpPosted 3/7/2013 9:34:24 AM
This:

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SX97I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362673803&sr=8-1&keywords=metal+gear+solid

Or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-2/dp/B001383L36/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1362673803&sr=8-7&keywords=metal+gear+solid

I've only played Twin Snakes on Gamecube so I'm looking to get into the series more. I still have my old PS2 hooked up to a CRT TV so the essential collection looking decent isn't an issue. Which is the better experience though? Is it worth it to experience it in HD glory, albeit missing the original PS1 version but containing another game? Or is it worth it to go back and experience it the way it originally was? Thanks for the replies!
---
Such rot, sir. Why, you're the very model of sanity. Oh, by the way, I pressed your tights and put away your exploding gas balls. ~ Alfred
#2Dark_FluxPosted 3/7/2013 9:38:10 AM
Id go for the HD collection myself.
It includes the Subsistance version of MGS3 which gives you manual control of the camera. Makes the game a much better play imo.
Peace Walkers great too.

You can alsways get the original MGS off the store if you desire it.
---
PSN ID : Dark-Flux2
#3deathsaber79Posted 3/7/2013 9:56:35 AM
Get the HD collection- it gives the best possible versions of Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater, Peace Walker is a bonus, and then also get the original as a PS1 classic on the PSN- you'll want to play Hideo Kojima's original vision for this game before diving into MGS 2 and 3- "The twin snakes" is an interesting remake, but it trumps up a lot of the cutscenes and events for the worse- and bottom line, again- its just not Kojima's vision.
#4Bubbagump(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 10:21:54 AM
Cool. Thanks for the input so far. I'll probably get the HD collection then.
---
Such rot, sir. Why, you're the very model of sanity. Oh, by the way, I pressed your tights and put away your exploding gas balls. ~ Alfred
#5Spiroth_KweehhPosted 3/7/2013 11:14:11 AM(edited)
These are the games in MGSaga:

-METAL GEAR
-METAL GEAR 2: Solid Snake
-METAL GEAR SOLID
-METAL GEAR SOLID 2: Sons of Liberty
-METAL GEAR SOLID 3: Snake Eater
-METAL GEAR SOLID 4: Guns of the Patriots
-METAL GEAR SOLID: Peace Walker

^Play them in that order, after buying:

-METAL GEAR SOLID HD Collection
-METAL GEAR SOLID (PSN)
-METAL GEAR SOLID 4: Guns of the Patriots - 25th Anniversary Edition

With these purchases, you will get the best version of each MGSaga installment, by far.
There are a few things you will miss however. Most aren't important. These are:

METAL GEAR SOLID 2

-Solid Skate
This was a Skateboard Mode that was exclusive to the Substance version of METAL GEAR SOLID 2, that used the characters and area from METAL GEAR SOLID 2 to showcase an -back then- upcoming KONAMI Skateboard game.

-No Document of METAL GEAR SOLID 2
This was a Bonus Disc in METAL GEAR SOLID 2 that let you see development insights. Basically, a Making-Of Disc.

-Birthday / Blood Type input
You could input your Birthday / Bood Type at a certain area at the beginning, and what you inputted was shown later. This can't be done in HD Collection.

-Three small glitches (trivial stuff like a Sound Effect), and three small differences (about trivial stuff like Controls)

METAL GEAR SOLID 3

-Boss Rush Mode
A Mode that you could go through each Boss consequtively. It's somehow missing. :(

-Snake vs Monkey + [Banana Camo / Monkey Mask]
A Mode that you could hunt Monkeys from SONY's APE ESCAPE franchise, which obviously couldn't be released on Xbox, and Microsoft has a policy that doesn't allow extra on-disc content on competing platforms on multiplatform games since 2011.

-Secret Theater
A Theater Mode that had some hilarious parody what-if videos based on MGSaga.

-Guy Savage Minigame / Cutscene after Minigame / Codec discussion afterwards
Spoilerific, so I won't describe it, but it involved a dream sequence that you got to play a Minigame based on a prototype version of a -back then- unreleased upcoming KONAMI game, that was tied to a certain phobia the Main Character of METAL GEAR SOLID 3 has. After it, there was a cutscene based on it, and after it a hilarious Easter Egg Codec convo.
Biggest missing thing in HD Collection by far, and the only important imo, as it directly messes with the game. :(

-METAL GEAR ONLINE
It has been shutdown. (Same for METAL GEAR ONLINE 2 of METAL GEAR SOLID 4)

-2 minor glitches, a couple of trailers not included, some Control changes, and a few other minor changes.

It will be pretty cheap.
There are a couple of Mode omissions I'd like to have been included, and I hate that the Guy Savage Minigame wasn't included, but the HD Collection's enhancements are so many, and so worth it that the HD Collection is by far the absolutely definitive version for MGSaga.
(+ youtube for the Guy Savage sequence :p)

You won't miss a thing don't worry.

Then after you finish, grab METAL GEAR RISING: Revengeance.

Have fun!
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#6AalviPosted 3/7/2013 11:17:50 AM
You can also consult that MGS4 Database(Don't remember how you find it or get it) for any questions or learning more details about the plot and people.
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
#7Spiroth_KweehhPosted 3/7/2013 11:42:40 AM
^ Yes, the MGSaga Database is amazing.
*It doesn't cover METAL GEAR SOLID: Peace Walker though, as it was released after the Database was created.
---
#8riddlebox89Posted 3/7/2013 11:47:24 AM
Aalvi posted...
You can also consult the Metal Gear Wiki for any questions or learning more details about the plot and people.

Fixed, the database is full of false and contradicting information, it's not really worth looking at more than once.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#9Spiroth_KweehhPosted 3/7/2013 2:58:41 PM
^ No it isn't.

The Database presents information as they are presented in each installment separately.
---
#10riddlebox89Posted 3/7/2013 4:49:57 PM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
^ No it isn't.

The Database presents information as they are presented in each installment separately.

I'm sorry but it is, only someone who's never looked at the database would claim it isn't full of false and contradictory information.

Either that or you're one of those "Lol wiki" people who, when confronted with taking one source or a wiki type source, you go with the non-wiki source no matter how incorrect said source is.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.