This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Jrpgs that have horribly slow starts

#121brainlackPosted 3/8/2013 3:45:19 AM
white knight chronicles firstly you fetch wine then you become a super sentai hero of doom yes there is a costume in wkc2 that lets you wear power ranger outfit then you are given the task of saving the princess only 15 min in the game boy that escalated quickly
---
ASRock N68C-GS FX, 550ti, phenom ii 1100t
MSI MS 7210, 690 gtx, pentium 4 524 @ 4.2 suicide stock cooler
#122Virtue777Posted 3/8/2013 4:00:14 AM
maynot posted...
Marozi posted...
Oh man, yeah. Suikoden V takes FOREVER to really get rolling, which is a shame, as it's a great Suikoden game.

Have you played Suikoden 4? That really gets tedious when you try sailing your bathtub (your ship/home base) around the world.

Suikoden 5 is much better paced and better written.

You know, I hear all of this praise for Suikoden V, yet I honestly wasn't all that impressed. I sunk 20 hours in before deciding it wasn't worth playing anymore, so it's not like I didn't give it a chance. I honestly just felt that the game was a tedious experience. High random encounter rate coupled with a fairly slow story...it just killed the experience for me. I really appreciated the battle system and how it went back to the roots of the series a bit, but overall Suikoden V failed to impress me the way Suikoden and Suikoden II did.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#123TkmajingPosted 3/8/2013 4:00:56 AM
Suikoden 5!!! God damn that beginning, 6-10 hours of no battles,just freaking talking and walking and talking and walking, but the wait was worth it, Suikoden 5 was amazing game.
---
What in the name of?
#124ZendaikPosted 3/8/2013 4:14:40 AM(edited)
Virtue777 posted...
maynot posted...
Marozi posted...
Oh man, yeah. Suikoden V takes FOREVER to really get rolling, which is a shame, as it's a great Suikoden game.

Have you played Suikoden 4? That really gets tedious when you try sailing your bathtub (your ship/home base) around the world.

Suikoden 5 is much better paced and better written.

You know, I hear all of this praise for Suikoden V, yet I honestly wasn't all that impressed. I sunk 20 hours in before deciding it wasn't worth playing anymore, so it's not like I didn't give it a chance. I honestly just felt that the game was a tedious experience. High random encounter rate coupled with a fairly slow story...it just killed the experience for me. I really appreciated the battle system and how it went back to the roots of the series a bit, but overall Suikoden V failed to impress me the way Suikoden and Suikoden II did.

You need like 5-10 more hours for Suikoden V to click. Closer to 10 than 5. The first 25 hours are rather boring. The high encounter never stops being an issue but there's some item that decreases it at least.

But really, 20 hours in you're still wading through the boring stuff. I can't say I'm surprised at all that you didn't really like it at the point you're at. Yes, it's an issue that the game takes a long time to actually click. But it does get really good in the second half.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#125darkdax1Posted 3/8/2013 4:13:23 AM
People really hated the Midgar section of FF7? I remember when I first played it, I was hoping Midgar was the setting for the entire game, I freaking loved that place. I found the rest of the game pretty "Meh" though, and eventually stopped playing shortly before the final boss for some reason.

I really don't mind slow starts, so I tend not to notice them, but KH2's Roxas section always got on my nerves.
---
Step after step, We try controlling our fate
When we finally start living it has become too late
#126AstroshakPosted 3/8/2013 4:18:05 AM
No one is saying (well, maybe one or two are, but the bulk of the references in this thread are not) that Midgar was slow. They're saying that what happens AFTER Midgar is slow.

FF7 starts off doing 80 on a 70 mph highway .. then when you leave Midgar, you run into about 50 miles where you are limited to 2 mph.
#127Stunning SteveAustinPosted 3/8/2013 4:23:21 AM
Personal 4 took like 3 hours to get to the first battle... I don't mind a slow start, but that's just taking the piss.

Suikoden V is a slow start done right. It's plot-heavy, but for a good reason, and it still has moments of fighting/exploring throughout.
---
"The algorithms I have been programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought." ~ KOS-MOS
#128julio77777Posted 3/8/2013 4:39:41 AM
Almost all JRPGs have excruciatingly boring starts. Past 15-30 min usually the game picks up a little but it's not until at least the one hour mark that it becomes really interesting plot-wise.
#129Stanger5150Posted 3/8/2013 5:06:14 AM
SolidKnight posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
I never understood the issues people have with the Chrono Cross story. Everything that happens is a direct result of the events of Chrono Trigger. Not to mention, there are direct links to CT all over the game. Prometheus and Kid, for example, directly link to two CT characters.

People wanted Chrono Cross to be a continuation of Chrono Trigger instead of a completely different world with completely different characters.

It is a continuation though, and it's the same world.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Vanquish- PS3, Super Mario Bros. 2- NES
#130AtalalamaPosted 3/8/2013 5:09:26 AM
Most great epic stories, regardless of the medium, have slow starts. What is your point?