This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm sitting on a broken launch PS3. Halp?

#1kaiser ryuPosted 3/7/2013 11:23:12 PM
It got it's ylod thang on recently and it made me frown. Is there any way to get it repaired by Sony with a guarantee of getting the same model back? What other options are there? I'd really like to have this thing back. I'm not prepared to spend $250+ on what I'd see as a nearly complete downgrade. I REALLY like having an all-in-one Playstation box. Am I just SOL?

Your help and/or additional musings concerning my situation are greatly appreciated in advance.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#2AwayFromHerePosted 3/7/2013 11:32:02 PM
It'll be $100 to Sony to fix it, and you get your console back.

When you have to pay to get your system fixed, they do send yours back to you.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#3xKirbzPosted 3/7/2013 11:35:53 PM
Just look up a guide of your model on youtube on how to fix ylod, and buy the necessary supplies like a security screwdriver, a screwdriver, a heat gun, and arctic silver 5. It's cheaper to fix it, and you can fix it multiple times when if it dies again in the future.
#4ZHolyMadmanPosted 3/7/2013 11:51:58 PM
If you send it to Sony they'll wipe your HDD. Use the handy-dandy search feature on this board and learn more than you ever wanted to know about your unfortunate predicament. Just type in "YLOD" and start digging.

Good luck and my sincerest condolences.
---
"This is America! It is my God-given right to be loudly opinionated about something I am completely ignorant of!" - Kyle Kinane
#5Stanger5150Posted 3/8/2013 12:34:44 AM
I'm sure you can find a more comfortable seat.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Vanquish- PS3, Super Mario Bros. 2- NES
#6kaiser ryu(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 12:48:48 AM
Stanger5150 posted...
I'm sure you can find a more comfortable seat.

I've always liked harder seating surfaces and the contour of the machine suits my rear quite nicely.
---
#7kaiser ryu(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 1:44:27 AM
Got to really thinking hard about what matters to me in life. So, weighing my desire to not hook up my PS2 against the odds that my current entertainment setup likely lacks a cool, shady, well ventilated spot for my fatty to rest in, I'm thinking I may just want to settle on a slim. So what's all this Jazz about there being an optimal slim PS3? One of the topics I was digging around in mentioned that new slims suck, old fatties overheat and there's some middle slim that's what the JQ wants to shoot for. Whazzat?
---
#8aryanbrarPosted 3/8/2013 2:08:56 AM(edited)
my ps3 also ylod, 2 days after i got ps plus. i backed up my saves for whatever 1-2 min the system could run for.

don't get it fixed by 3rd party or do it yourself. there is no permanent solution to ylod.
reballing and fixing will make last anywhere form a week to maybe 6 months. after that it'll ylod back.
#9ViceGagaPosted 3/8/2013 4:13:42 AM
Bad idea.. Its probably broken because you crushed it! Darn, someone beat me to the sitting joke already? Try dancing with it.. Maybe theres still time for it to forgive you!
---
Choose your last words, this is the last time, cuz you and I, we were born to die.
#10ViceGagaPosted 3/8/2013 4:22:29 AM
kaiser ryu posted...
Got to really thinking hard about what matters to me in life. So, weighing my desire to not hook up my PS2 against the odds that my current entertainment setup likely lacks a cool, shady, well ventilated spot for my fatty to rest in, I'm thinking I may just want to settle on a slim. So what's all this Jazz about there being an optimal slim PS3? One of the topics I was digging around in mentioned that new slims suck, old fatties overheat and there's some middle slim that's what the JQ wants to shoot for. Whazzat?

I swear if my launch PS3 died, I would never buy another one! I'd just let my laptop and other devices tide me over until PS4! I started gaming all the way back with Atari 2600 and have never bough more than one of any system and I don't plan on ever doing so! Like people who buy 4 or 5 xboxes crack me up, its proof that so many people don't ever learn from history, they'll keep touching the hot stove even tho every time it burns them! Oh well, its your decision.. I'm just saying what I would or wouldn't do.
---
Choose your last words, this is the last time, cuz you and I, we were born to die.