This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

List your worst JRPG main character

#101XImperialDragonPosted 3/8/2013 7:17:10 PM
All of them.

Yes, I have played more JRPG's than you, don't bother to challenge.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD

That's one hell of a lofty thing to say, lol (about having played more JRPGs than everyone else).
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#102AtalalamaPosted 3/8/2013 7:17:20 PM
CTBradums posted...
Hm...if we're talking singular main character: Vaan. He was terrible, and pointless to the plot. He was completely interchangeable and had nothing to do with overarching events. Basch was more main character material, and the same for Ashe. Even Balthier made more sense.

Actually Vaan (and by proxy Penelo) DID serve a VERY important role in Final Fantasy XII: The Numbskull Leader & Slightly-more Educated Sidekick.

Ever notice how in a LOT of JRPG's the main character (like the aforementioned Luke fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss, Oliver from Ni No Kuni, Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile, mains from Persona 3 & 4, etc. - not gonna touch the Square games this fits, too), the main character knows SQUAT about the world they're trying to save? In some cases they lived a sheltered life. In others, they're exposed to an entirely new world. The reasons are as varied as the characters.

Final Fantasy XII's world was MASSIVE, with a rich back-story. So how much fun would the player have, playing a game in which all the other characters already knows much/everything about the world they're in? There'd be no explanation for the sake of the player. It'd be all "if you wanna know what the HELL they're talking about go read the in-game encyclopedia".

So, why make the oblivious ones the main character? Because they're the ones who will develop as a character. Bosch? He's pre-defined with VERY little development. Balthier? He barely changed at all through the game. Fran? A surprise or two but no development. Ashe? Her development took place BEFORE the game really started.

When FF12 was released, there were a LOT of comparisons to Star Wars. And it's true. Ashe & Leia went from "rebel leaders" to "rebel fighters/figure-heads". Balthier/Han? Just went from "selfish pirate" to "lovable scallywag". Fran/Chewbacca? They're sidekicks, they don't get to develop. Bosch/Obi-Wan? Pre-developed. Penelo/R2-D2? Just someone to be there and act lovable in some odd way at times, be sidekick to the hero at others. Just as Star Wars needed a character to root for; to witness developing to a selfishly oblivious nobody to a hero of the republic, Final Fantasy XII needed as well.

Hence, Vaan.
#103DragoonGriffithPosted 3/8/2013 7:20:20 PM
zhaoyun99 posted...
Yuri, one of the greatest lead in JRPG history, was based off Jade.

Unless you have some evidence to back this up, I'll just heavily disagree with that.

Jade takes the trolling to an unlikable level, while in Yuri's case it's more like a school prank on poor Karol most of the time.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ugfYWuG.gif
#104meteor9898Posted 3/8/2013 7:23:04 PM
Yuri, one of the greatest lead in JRPG history, was based off Jade. Anyway, here is my hate list:

I think I threw up in my mouth a little. I know its just your opinion, but...really? Such a boring, shallow Mary Sue is the best JRPG protagonist ever? Really?

Yuri from Shadow Hearts on the other hand...now that's how you make a protagonist.
#105DragoonGriffithPosted 3/8/2013 7:26:35 PM
meteor9898 posted...
Yuri, one of the greatest lead in JRPG history, was based off Jade. Anyway, here is my hate list:

I think I threw up in my mouth a little. I know its just your opinion, but...really? Such a boring, shallow Mary Sue is the best JRPG protagonist ever? Really?

Yuri from Shadow Hearts on the other hand...now that's how you make a protagonist.

They are both up there.
Also, yet another one who doesn't know what a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is.
---
#106Jason_HudsonPosted 3/8/2013 7:27:17 PM
Oliver from Ni No Kuni. He was a yes man and would say JEEPERS to just about everything.
---
"My name is Spartan Jay, the greatest Black Ops 2 player of all time. Because I am on your team, this team will win" ~ Spartan Jay
#107meteor9898Posted 3/8/2013 7:32:44 PM
Also, yet another one who doesn't know what a Mary Sue/Gary Stu is.

I must have missed something, because not once did I notice Yuri mess up in anything or being presented as a flawed character, unless it had to do with his required Tragic Backstory™. Unlike the better Yuri, he didn't appear human to me. Even Luke was a far better character with a real chip on his shoulder, before it became clear that his jerkness was just a plot device.
#108zespairPosted 3/8/2013 7:33:12 PM
Sarah from FF13-2.
---
Zespair
PSNID:Zespair
#109Skunkdog1Posted 3/8/2013 7:38:35 PM
tidus is the only answer
#110DragoonGriffithPosted 3/8/2013 7:38:44 PM
meteor9898 posted...

I must have missed something, because not once did I notice Yuri mess up in anything or being presented as a flawed character, unless it had to do with his required Tragic Backstory™. Unlike the better Yuri, he didn't appear human to me. Even Luke was a far better character with a real chip on his shoulder, before it became clear that his jerkness was just a plot device.

And that is why.
People really think that Yuri didn't have any flaws?

He himself acknowledged that his line of thinking regarding what he did and what made him say about Estelle was hypocritical.

It's just that unlike Abyss cast which likes to immediatily blame everything on Luke when **** happens because of them shutting their traps when it was needed to tell him the truth, Vesperia's cast knew how to hold their **** together and don't tell Yuri where he went wrong because he was already aware of it.

Even then, Flynn and Sodia (especially Sodia) certainly weren't ok with what Yuri did, to the point that he got stabbed.
There was no need for the story to punish him.
---