This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

List your worst JRPG main character

#111toad133Posted 3/8/2013 6:40:20 PM
I agree with all the Emil comments. Also going to say Shulk from Xenoblade. He was so lackluster as a protagonist that I ended up struggling to care about him and his quest.
---
Not changing this sig till Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is announced for VC.
Started: 16th of August 2008 13:27pm.
#112BlackWizardMagusPosted 3/8/2013 6:51:45 PM
Hard time picking one. Alot of them are terrible because the game itself is written in such a childish, 1-dimensional manner, and so the protaganist becomes just a collection of positive traits and good deeds. The other characters might be allowed to have some development and negative traits, but not the hero. For example, Jude/Dean from Wild Arms 4/5. Not counting them, my answer is probably the main girl from Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria. Not Silmeria, obviously, but the other girl (I can't remember her name). She's just such a meek, useless girl for a big part of the game, then she seems to finally start making decisions for herself, then no, nevermind, let's just give up all that independence and go back to leaning on another. I can see what they were trying to do, but it just makes her seem like some sort of stalker.
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#113Regurk_AbasPosted 3/8/2013 7:21:54 PM
I don't get the Luke hate. I mean, you can hate him if you want, but saying that his change in personality was too drastic? Umm...that was the point?! The party even calls him out on it later, they tell him that he lost the qualities he had as long-haired Luke, and that he shouldn't completely reject who he was in the first place. And by the end of the game (and I mean, like, 10 minutes before the game ends) he has the qualities of both short-haired Luke and long-haired Luke.

To each his own, I guess.
---
- The backtracking. Oh dear lord it sucks.
- Shut up and return to Daath already.
#114Ness0123456789Posted 3/8/2013 7:32:09 PM(edited)
Shulk from Xenoblade.

O Hai Thar most cliched ridden Protagonist of all time. Shulk is literally devoid of anything that makes him unique as a character. His entire personality seems to be a hodgepodge of every generic JRPG ever made.

There is not a single aspect of Shulk's character development that is any way, shape, or form unique. It really does make me wonder if originally Xenoblade was being designed as a satire to the JRPG genre, and not to be taken seriously, but was later changed at a late stage to have some horribly written serious stoyline.

and yes, I find Shulk even worst then Eeeeeedge Maverick.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#115peachyskye2000Posted 3/8/2013 7:24:44 PM
toadieman posted...
Edge Maverick. Actually the whole cast of Star Ocean 4. It's like their ship is the USS Retardia.

I LOL'd at your quote. I felt exactly the same when I played the game.
#116UltraMarcusPosted 3/8/2013 7:25:43 PM
The Hero from Dragon Quest 8.

Silent Protagonists are the worst.
---
"You're scared of being insulted on the internet by a guy who goes to work in his underwear?" - Sniper_Extreme
https://twitter.com/Ultramarcusaway
#117icedsaviorPosted 3/8/2013 7:34:35 PM
snow from ff13, a child in a mans body also a mid 20s guy with a love affair with a 14 year old.
#118TalesOfGodPosted 3/8/2013 7:49:10 PM
deathsaber79 posted...
List your worst lead dude (or lady
Keep in mind, their game might not be half bad, just talking about the character itself.

Mine?

Emil - Tales of Symphonia 2 - talk about a complete vacuum of charisma, manliness, likability, or any kind of redeeming factor. My first random encounter I wanted him to die a horrible death.

Buddy, I LOVE YOU!! (No homo)
Seriously, let`s be friends (I f***ing HATE Emil so MUCH!)

Anyways, I pick the same with Marta in second (don`t even ask why I hate these two characters so much, it should be obvious).
#119SandOnMyBootPosted 3/8/2013 7:49:11 PM
One fact about Cloud that almost everyone overlooks is that in the first 10 minutes of FF7, he MURDERS countless innocent civilians of Sector 1 in Midgar. When the Turks drop the plate on Sector 7, also killing a large number of civilians, Cloud & Barret treat it as an unforgivable crime even though they themselves did something very similar earlier.

Even Cait Sith directly questions them on killing so many innocent people late in the game, but Cloud and Barret just shrug it off and never repent for it. Apparently blowing up countless innocent families is perfectly fine but not being able to save a flower girl you only knew for a week's time is unforgivable.

I don't know of any other RPG main characters that see the mass murder of innocent, defenseless people as justifiable. After all, their intentions were far from noble (not that that would have justified it). Cloud did it for his pay as a mercenary, Barret for his own personal revenge against Shinra.
#120spacejamjordanzPosted 3/8/2013 7:52:18 PM
Shu from Blue Dragon
---
"Attack me if you dare. I will crush you." Ken Masters <Street Fighter II>