This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

List your worst JRPG main character

#121LexShinePosted 3/8/2013 8:53:19 PM
Tidus.
#122MinamoPosted 3/8/2013 8:54:57 PM(edited)
Vaan. I wonder if Squeenix was actually trying extra hard to make a main character worse than Teedus, because they managed to pull it off in spades.

Runners up would be the aforementioned Teedus and Luke fon Fabre.
#123TaijutsuJoshuaPosted 3/8/2013 8:54:19 PM
deathsaber79 posted...
Cloud is highly complex- its just not shown on the surface- also Crisis Core must be played to truly comprehend where he is at during the onset of FF7.

You know, my worst characters are the insufferably meek/emo types that always question themselves- hence Emil. Edge Maverick gets the honorable mention here- why anyone would put this loser in charge (or anywhere close to being in charge) of a Starship is beyond me

Yet they managed to save the universe under his command... yeah...

Honestly, I have to admit the "Edge in Despair" thing REALLY bothered me-- he was so dead, because of something out of his control, but I think he's decent. There are many worse main characters.
---
PSN: Xyler_Stone09
3DS FC: 4871-3749-9558
#124SyserinPosted 3/8/2013 8:55:30 PM
toadieman posted...
Edge Maverick. Actually the whole cast of Star Ocean 4. It's like their ship is the USS Retardia.

You sir, are correct. Worst cast in any game I've played. Honorable mentions and runner-up goes to the FF13 cast ( exception being Sazh ) and the FF12 cast.
#125TaijutsuJoshuaPosted 3/8/2013 9:05:22 PM
As for Vaan... I have to say, he's actually one of my favorites.

He's the main character, yes, but the story ISN'T revolved around him. He isn't some guy destined to save the world, or some dude who is gifted with incredible abilities and has to use them for good.

Each and every other main character in FFXII already had taken that role.

He was basically the 'eyes' of the player, a rogue kid and his childhood friend hanging out with the big boys and ending up becoming part of something greater-- and it makes him more mature. He was the one guy who was stupid enough to ask Fran her age. (Love that scene) It was really childish of him, yes, but it showed how light hearted and relaxed he can be.

He WASN'T some brooding, emo mysterious guy. Or some heroic stud brimming with masculinity, just simply an everyman-- the regular guy.

And that was my appeal to the character. I'm hard pressed to find other main characters used like Vaan.
---
PSN: Xyler_Stone09
3DS FC: 4871-3749-9558
#126AtalalamaPosted 3/8/2013 9:14:50 PM
TaijutsuJoshua posted...
As for Vaan... I have to say, he's actually one of my favorites.

He's the main character, yes, but the story ISN'T revolved around him. He isn't some guy destined to save the world, or some dude who is gifted with incredible abilities and has to use them for good.

Each and every other main character in FFXII already had taken that role.

He was basically the 'eyes' of the player, a rogue kid and his childhood friend hanging out with the big boys and ending up becoming part of something greater-- and it makes him more mature. He was the one guy who was stupid enough to ask Fran her age. (Love that scene) It was really childish of him, yes, but it showed how light hearted and relaxed he can be.

He WASN'T some brooding, emo mysterious guy. Or some heroic stud brimming with masculinity, just simply an everyman-- the regular guy.

And that was my appeal to the character. I'm hard pressed to find other main characters used like Vaan.

This I can agree with. While I didn't care for Vaan as a design or personality, I DID appreciate that he broke the standard JRPG-leader mold of "fated leader".
#127FishyGoodness12Posted 3/8/2013 9:20:35 PM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
Godly_Goof posted...
Cloud- poorly written is an understatement. Amazingly goes from not giving a s*** to 180ing to trying to save the world in the first 30 minutes for no reason. And then one dimensionals the entire rest of the game

Nope.
He is going after the person that destroyed everything he cared about, who he thought was dead.
Then, through tons of unfolding story, he develops the resolve he has.

Just so you know, Sephiroth did not kill Aerith.
---
Not changing this sig until Tohru Adachi is added in Playstation Allstars Battle Royale.
#128ScreamingMidgetPosted 3/8/2013 9:20:42 PM
icedsavior posted...
snow from ff13, a child in a mans body also a mid 20s guy with a love affair with a 14 year old.

Serah was 18 in XIII...

Any answer that is not "Edge Maverick" is wrong.
#129MinamoPosted 3/8/2013 9:22:15 PM
toadieman posted...
Edge Maverick. Actually the whole cast of Star Ocean 4. It's like their ship is the USS Retardia.

I really liked Sarah, but that's probably because she embodies all my fetishes (glasses, ditzy, pigtails, etc). Meracle, Myuria, and Bacchus weren't that bad, but yeah, the rest were awful, and I can see how people would hate Sarah as well.

It's a shame Eleyna was never made playable.
#130icedsaviorPosted 3/8/2013 9:24:32 PM
thats what the japanese devs want you to think anout sarah.