This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

List your worst JRPG main character

#91zhaoyun99Posted 3/8/2013 5:36:50 PM
WTF with TOA cast's hate here? I may understand that somebody got BS thing for Luke but not with Jade, Guy and Tear since they are more in the awesome field of JRPG. Yuri, one of the greatest lead in JRPG history, was based off Jade. Anyway, here is my hate list:

Emil: Who in the f*** that write the scrip for TOS2? Can I have a good talk with him? Maybe I should call Gene from God Hand to beat this guy with a Dragon Kick.

Edge: Seriously, this guy is not only a poor Claude's rip off but you seriously think that he's one of those ancestor for the previous game? F******* please.

Asbel: Am I seeing the archetype stereotype like a worse ver. of Cless and Ichigo in one go? Seriously, please stop with this kind of character.

Lightning: Seriously, Toriyama. Stopping shoving this Cloud and Squall hybrid into our face. I want my Versus Goddamnit.
---
"Another has fallen to my spear!!!" Zhao Yun
#92Arumat808Posted 3/8/2013 5:37:23 PM
Squall from FF VIII has to be the worst main character in a JRPG I've played, even worse than Vaan. I didn't mind him in the beginning of the game where he was almost basically Cloud with a few tweaks, but after disc 2 he just completely changes and turns into a neutered wimp, which makes very little sense given the way he acted at first. I went from finding him okay to almost outright hating him.
#93CTBradumsPosted 3/8/2013 5:39:24 PM
Hm...if we're talking singular main character: Vaan. He was terrible, and pointless to the plot. He was completely interchangeable and had nothing to do with overarching events. Basch was more main character material, and the same for Ashe. Even Balthier made more sense.

If we're talking about a main character in general, then probably Hope or Snow from FFXIII. Clichéd stereotypes are bearable, as long as they're done at least a little well. Hope is just unbearable as a character, and Snow is TOO cliché and annoying. The fact that he looks 30 and Serah looks 14 adds to his creepy douche factor.
#94Kou-NurasakaPosted 3/8/2013 5:40:33 PM
Castiel39 posted...
Luke fon Fabre. He is a horrible character from the very start of the game. And once he finnally develops he only gets worse from there. Let's just say that by the end of the game he is so bad, he makes his long-haired version look like a good character. Worst protagonist (and character) ever.

His long haired persona was a good character. But then he realizes he's the main protagonist of a JRPG and decides to be a goody goody two shoes world saving short haired water sack.

I say that as a huge fan of Abyss, but I hate short hair Luke. Asche or Long Haired Luke were so much better.

Other than that, Vaan. He was awful, he had no reason to be in the story at all. I wish we could've gotten Reks, who was a good character, or Ashe's husband.... whose name escapes me.
#95mogar002Posted 3/8/2013 5:42:03 PM
Arumat808 posted...
Squall from FF VIII has to be the worst main character in a JRPG I've played, even worse than Vaan. I didn't mind him in the beginning of the game where he was almost basically Cloud with a few tweaks, but after disc 2 he just completely changes and turns into a neutered wimp, which makes very little sense given the way he acted at first. I went from finding him okay to almost outright hating him.

He was nothing like Cloud at the beginning.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#96AtalalamaPosted 3/8/2013 5:42:54 PM
Cloud Strife. Of course, most of his poor quality of character is caused by the characters around him. He has a good back story, a decent motive to urge the player on...but so many things happen to and by him that by the end of the 1st disc I was hoping ol' Sephy would just kill him and save me from having to tolerate the dope.

And what do I mean by the characters around him? They made him the party leader. Sure, he could swing a sword around, but the dude was obviously insane, an obvious "liar" (as far as any of the other characters could tell), had obvious dubious motives, was the new guy to the whole party who didn't even like "parties", was completely unlikable and unsympathetic to those around him, followed whatever he said without question even though they were obviously stupid ideas/moves...and when his own insanity & "lies" were tossed back at him his party members try to protect him from the truth of himself. Over and over again! And they kept forgiving him for garbage that would've have ANY other character in any other JRPG kicked out of the party. Or be delegated to the joke character the lead kills for being annoying five hours in.

Cloud = Psychpath x Murdock (from the A-TEAM) / Funny
#97PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 3/8/2013 6:07:11 PM
For me it's a tie with a bunch of FF MCs.

Cloud - AWFUL character.... I think others have explained it well enough.

Tidus - Whiny voiced, ignorant, naive (yes both of those), not at all heroic IMO, and not someone I would want to be around IRL. A teenager who acts brave because he's written that way. Doesn't feel like a character so much as a plot device.

Vaan - See Tidus.

Lightning - She is a misguided ignorant b**** who argues about *only* the stupidest of things.

TBQH I want JRPGs to stop filling their rosters up with ignorant children, teens (or even people in early 20's), and/or cutesy anthropomorphs and stop treating a character in their late 20's and 30's like they're a wise old man when they should be acting like a mature adult in their 20's (what they are).

Give me a party of down to earth 25+ y/os with realistic feelings, ambitions, and personalities (NOT anime sterotypes), NO pastel colored hair, and voices that aren't done by only the cheesiest sounding of american anime VAs and maybe I will play it. Haven't seen or heard of anything remotely like that..... in a very long time.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.
#98ShineboxerPosted 3/8/2013 6:09:09 PM
All of them.

Yes, I have played more JRPG's than you, don't bother to challenge.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#99Arumat808Posted 3/8/2013 6:13:45 PM
mogar002 posted...
Arumat808 posted...

Well, I haven't played VII in quite some time, but I always seem to remember a depressive/broody "I don't need other people" mentality that both Cloud and Squall share. Of course, Squall went further with that second part, but the similarity is there.
#100mogar002Posted 3/8/2013 6:15:47 PM
Arumat808 posted...
mogar002 posted...
Arumat808 posted...

Well, I haven't played VII in quite some time, but I always seem to remember a depressive/broody "I don't need other people" mentality that both Cloud and Squall share. Of course, Squall went further with that second part, but the similarity is there.

Cloud doesn't get like that until Advent Children.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg