This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I keep coming back to Demons Souls

#1PrettyBoyMarthPosted 3/8/2013 12:17:39 PM
I have all these new games where I've started but I keep playing Demons Souls, playthrough after playthrough.

seriously, I bought all these games after Demons Souls (within the last month):

--Dark Souls (opened)
-Dead Island GOTY (30 mins in)
-Yakuza 3 (5 hours in, quests are tedious as hell)
-GTAIV Complete Version (only started LATD)
-Infamous Collection (unopened)
-Tales of Graces f (2 hours in)

the only game that takes me away from Demons Souls is Fire Emblem Awakening, but I think after this Demons Souls playthrough I'm finally gonna start Dark Souls, it's been sitting in my drawer for a month.
---
Wind Waker >>> Ocarina of Time. People who agree: 471
#2KurizakaPosted 3/8/2013 12:22:01 PM
I like From Software games, but I just couldn't get into Demon's/Dark Souls. I may give them another chance at some point.
#3diabolicalPosted 3/8/2013 12:26:57 PM
I hear ya. Demon's Souls is largely responsible for the backlog I have today.
---
http://i.imgur.com/a1ZES.gif
#4JonvandammPosted 3/8/2013 12:31:29 PM
Lol, same here. I bought DS upon its release(Asian version), got the NA version, then bought the EU one when it came out. Everything about it, to me at least, is so good. Love the invasions. :-D
---
Destroy. Destroy! DESTROY!
#5TerotrousPosted 3/8/2013 12:39:13 PM(edited)
Eh, I couldn't really get into it. The "oops, you got killed by a cheap shot that there was no way to see coming, go back 20 minutes and start over" gameplay got old pretty quick.

People always praise Demon's Souls as some return to ultra hard gaming, but really it's more cheap and unforgiving than hard. Even on NES they gave you multiple lives and periodic checkpoints. The thing was that you often had a limited number of lives to get through the whole game, so you had to learn to be good at the whole game and not waste lives. This is not really an issue in Demon's Souls because once you know what's coming, it's usually pretty easy to deal with it, and you can also recover HP easily as long as you don't get wiped out in one hit, which means that retracing your steps is more tedious than anything else.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#6SigmaHacielPosted 3/8/2013 12:38:53 PM
Terotrous posted...
Eh, I couldn't really get into it. The "oops, you got killed by a cheap shot that there was no way to see coming, go back 20 minutes and start over" gameplay got old pretty quick.

People always praise Demon's Souls as some return to ultra hard gaming, but really it's more cheap and unforgiving than hard. Even on NES they gave you multiple lives and periodic checkpoints. The thing was that you often had a limited number of lives to get through the whole game, so you had to learn to be good at the whole game and not waste lives. This is not really an issue in Demon's Souls because once you know what's coming, it's usually pretty easy to deal with it, which means that retracing your steps is more tedious than anything else.

"Cheap" in this case meaning "I'm not paying attention, and that is still the game's fault".
#7flame030191Posted 3/8/2013 12:39:58 PM
Played a while of Demon's Souls. Quit due to boredom.

Played a little of Dark Souls, quit due to being more of the same.

Haven't touched either since.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#8TerotrousPosted 3/8/2013 12:42:02 PM(edited)
SigmaHaciel posted...
"Cheap" in this case meaning "I'm not paying attention, and that is still the game's fault".

Nah, cheap in the sense that "oh, there's a guy hiding in an area that you can't see who ambushes you unless you know he's there, now you have to go back a long way. But now you know he's there you can easily just step back and blast him."

If you play a game that people commonly cite as being hard, like Castlevania 1 or what not, you can always see things coming at you before you have to deal with them. It's still difficult, but the skill isn't based around memorizing the level layouts.

This entire game is basically akin to those parts in the old Megaman games where you'd have a long sequence of blocks to cross over a pit, except at some point the next one is going to spawn right over your head and if you didn't jump beforehand, you're done. Except there's no checkpoints or rush jet here.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#9KurizakaPosted 3/8/2013 12:41:32 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Terotrous posted...

People always praise Demon's Souls as some return to ultra hard gaming, but really it's more cheap and unforgiving than hard. Even on NES they gave you multiple lives and periodic checkpoints. The thing was that you often had a limited number of lives to get through the whole game, so you had to learn to be good at the whole game and not waste lives. This is not really an issue in Demon's Souls because once you know what's coming, it's usually pretty easy to deal with it, which means that retracing your steps is more tedious than anything else.

I agree with the cheap argument. Yes, sometimes it's a case of not paying attention, but there are times when it IS the game.
#10SigmaHacielPosted 3/8/2013 12:41:51 PM
Terotrous posted...
SigmaHaciel posted...

Nah, cheap in the sense that "oh, there's a guy hiding in an area that you can't see who ambushes you unless you know he's there, now you have to go back a long way."

If you play a game that people commonly cite as being hard, like Castlevania 1 or what not, you can always see things coming at you before you have to deal with them. It's still difficult, but the skill isn't based around memorizing the level layouts.

"Cheap" in this case meaning "I'm STILL not paying attention, and I lack any sense of reflex, and that is still the game's fault".

LMAO Wait wait wait. You are saying CV and the truly "hard" games of the past aren't dealt by memorizing levels?