This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I keep coming back to Demons Souls

#71DaLaggaPosted 3/10/2013 5:05:15 PM
My experience with Dark Souls PvP mostly comes down to summoning ally phantoms to watch them kill invaders -- that's where I get my kicks. I'm not a competitive Dark Souls PvPer, so whatever problems one might have with it, I'm not in the kind of person to relate.

Then why throw petty insults like "DaLagga the wannabe journalist" when you admit you have no idea what you're talking about? Aside for not even really being designed for PvP the lag alone kills the entire experience with lagstabbing being rampant.

Weren't you saying what a good thing it was that Contra allows you to use a cheat code to get infinite lives, in order to play through the game and memorize everything as a means to overcome the game's difficulty? But now it's a problem with Dark Souls' bosses?

When did I ever say that?

They just about are raving lunatics. Most of the game's characters are trying to hold on to their sanity. Don't try to make it sound like they're going, "ooga booga!", though.

Mostly, they are. The majority of their dialog is either a rant or random babbling that doesn't amount to much. It's like they forgot to hire a writer so they just made up some nonsense for the NPC's to say. And in addition to the dialog not having much substance to it, there's not even much dialog in the game to begin with.
#72DaLaggaPosted 3/10/2013 5:14:10 PM
PoorCountry posted...
<
It's so obvious that this is just cheap derision.

But, anyway, something I thought while playing that part was that this is probably how it would appear to me if I were actually involved in it. Suddenly the firekeeper's dead, and Lautrec's missing. I'm not meant to think, "Such a dastard! That fiend has committed evil deeds and it is my duty to stop him, as the hero!" That's one kind of story-telling -- giving the audience an almost-omniscient perspective of the action, so they know who the bad guy is before they do anything bad, like Mass Effect. Dark Souls is different. You only know something if you discover it, and as Lautrec's a secretive person, I don't know why he did what he did. Whether this can be labeled a form of story-telling or not, it was an interesting experience, and I had the same dramatic feelings I'd get from reading a book.

There was no real storytelling though. Lautrec is in a cell, you rescue him, he comes to your camp, kills the firekeeper behind your back, and then you have to go kill him. That's it. There's no motivation. No character development. No reason to care about any of it. I'm not saying every detail of a plot has to be perfectly explained. But Dark Souls literally gives you next to no explanation on why anything is happening. Much of the time it's like playing an early alpha version of a game where the developers have basic events scripted but haven't included most of the dialog or actual story yet.

In Dark Souls, random stuff just...happens. And that's about it. It's nothing like a book at all. When Lautrec killed the firekeeper, I should have been asking myself "why would he do such a thing!?". Instead, I just didn't care or feel a thing because the writers had given me no motivation whatsoever to do so. I felt like I was just accepting quests in an MMO - mindless clicking "accept" in a dialog window before being given a quest marker to kill 10 spiderlings within the cave of darkness. It doesn't have any weight behind it because we're never given any motivation to care.
#73TheWarHorsePosted 3/10/2013 5:27:06 PM
Meh. Such a boring overrated game. The difficulty is fine.. I suspect those saying it's hard weren't gamers during the NES era. Unfortunately the game is just f***ing boring. I have insomnia and it's literally the only game I've ever fallen asleep playing.
---
Intel Pentium II @ 150MHz | 32MB RAM (SIMMs) | 2GB HDD | ATI Rage Pro 3D card w/ 2MB vRAM | CD-ROM | 56k modem | Windows ME
#74PoorCountryPosted 3/10/2013 6:28:57 PM
Every time someone breaks a post up into quotes like this, it devolves into a bunch of one-liners being slung back and forth. That's what's happening. When you ask, "when did I ever say that?" -- where is the argument going from there? It is not going to be about Dark Souls anymore. Your entire response is just you going back and forth between outright disagreeing with me by repeating things you already said, and sniveling, snarky one-liners like, "Oh, yes, the story in DS was just too much for me to comprehend. That must be it." I've lost my motivation to respond to this stupid poop. Dropping it.
#75DaLaggaPosted 3/10/2013 6:45:12 PM(edited)
PoorCountry posted...
Every time someone breaks a post up into quotes like this, it devolves into a bunch of one-liners being slung back and forth.

The argument was going fine. I'm not the one pulling one-liners every time I quote like you are. What was the point of that anyway?

That's what's happening. When you ask, "when did I ever say that?" -- where is the argument going from there? It is not going to be about Dark Souls anymore.

What are you even talking about? You accused me of saying Contra would have been better if you had infinite lives. A statement that I never made. The only one derailing the topic with that one is you.

Your entire response is just you going back and forth between outright disagreeing with me by repeating things you already said, and sniveling, snarky one-liners like, "Oh, yes, the story in DS was just too much for me to comprehend. That must be it." I've lost my motivation to respond to this stupid poop. Dropping it.

Says the guy whose only argument in defense of the story is that I'm too simple to understand it?