This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm at a loss. What's so great about God of War?

#1knightoffire55Posted 3/8/2013 2:25:42 PM
It's just QTE's and button mashing.
---
Enough is enough I have had it with these motherf****ing vampires in this motherf****ing rain.
#2flame030191Posted 3/8/2013 2:27:59 PM
The story, setting, and lore is what caught me. The gameplay isn't 100% in-tact (though has improved heavily over the years), but it's fluid and easy to understand while not detracting your attention from what's going on.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#3SDFan18Posted 3/8/2013 2:28:05 PM
mm k.
---
"Welcome to nowhere and finding out where it is."
PSN ID: BBFaNaTiC86
#4Godly_GoofPosted 3/8/2013 2:29:09 PM
Generic hack and slash
---
I still don't believe most people on gamefaqs are even gamers. Just assuming they are embodiments of hate and stupidity taking digital form.
#5ChaoticKnucklesPosted 3/8/2013 2:55:51 PM
knightoffire55 posted...

As with most games in the genre, you can only button mash on lower difficulties. As for the reasons I like it, setting, production values, tight controls, and the gameplay is solid. Is the combat as deep as the earlier Devil May Crys or Ninja Gaiden? No it's not but it's certainly not generic either.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#6anonymous46773Posted 3/8/2013 2:57:10 PM
The combat is great, and no. If you button mash, you die. Unless you decide to take the easy way out and play on its lowest difficulty setting.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#7SigmaHacielPosted 3/8/2013 2:57:46 PM
Decent story and character if you like stereotypical lunk-head tryhards and douches.

Combat is alright if you wanted a hack-and-slash with more set pieces and QTE, and a gorier base.
#8ScreamingMidgetPosted 3/8/2013 3:06:19 PM
Graphics and presentation mainly. The combat is okay...i guess.
#9InsuRnPosted 3/8/2013 3:11:00 PM
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
knightoffire55 posted...

As with most games in the genre, you can only button mash on lower difficulties. As for the reasons I like it, setting, production values, tight controls, and the gameplay is solid. Is the combat as deep as the earlier Devil May Crys or Ninja Gaiden? No it's not but it's certainly not generic either.

This is the reason I love the God of War series: the combat is simple yet you need a little strategy in harder difficulties. Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc... have a lot more combos and complex combat system but in GoW I can actually use all of them since I don't have to memories hundreds of moves and timing.
---
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - i5 2500k - Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7850 OC - 8Gb G.SKILL DDR3 - Crucial M4 SSD - ASUS BD-R - CM Storm Trooper /// PS3 - X360 - Wii
#10Bestia_SomniaPosted 3/8/2013 3:12:25 PM
If you don't understand why people like it and you're ignorant enough to really think that it's all QTEs and button mashing then explaining anything to you would be pointless.
---
JoJo's All-Star Battle (potential mains): Zeppeli, Wham, Jotaro, Okuyasu, Gyro, Josuke (JoJolion)