This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions about downloading games

#1jamieengPosted 3/9/2013 8:37:03 AM
Atm I'm downloading Black Ops, which is 18GB. After 3 hours 30 minutes, it is on 45%.
I usually play around 6pm-8pm, but at this rate the download will finish at 8pm-9pm.
So a few quick questions,
1. If downloading takes around 7 and a hlaf hours, how long will installing take?
2. Is it at all possible to play a game and download a game at the same time?
3. If I pause the download at, say, 80% and then turn the PS3 off, then when I turn it on again tomorrow, will be be able to resume the download from where I left off?

Any help appreciated
---
I do not require a signature.
#2KurizakaPosted 3/9/2013 8:39:10 AM
1. Not sure, but installing is usually quicker for me.
2. Depends. Some games will pause downloads. You'll just have to check to see if it's still downloading during that particular game.
3. Yes.
#3jamieeng(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 8:41:53 AM
Kurizaka posted...
2. Depends. Some games will pause downloads. You'll just have to check to see if it's still downloading during that particular game.
3. Yes.

Well as long as your Q3 answer is correct then I'm happy
---
#4gtaking5Posted 3/9/2013 8:45:03 AM(edited)
From experience, installs are usually 10-15 minutes for games that are 10+ gigs. But since BO2 is nearly 20 gigs, I'd expect at least 20 minutes minimum. But it's been awhile since I actually sat around doing nothing while installing a huge game.

Also never install a game while you have something downloading after the game. I learned that the hard way when it took me an hour and a half to install Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One.

As for playing games. Anything that has an online capability(leader boards don't count) you can not play.
---
And you were searching your soul, and you got lost and out of control
You went over the edge of joking, died of a broken heart
#5PHEEliNUXPosted 3/9/2013 8:44:04 AM
You can't install while playing
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#6KurizakaPosted 3/9/2013 8:44:31 AM
jamieeng posted...
Kurizaka posted...
3. Yes.

Well as long as your Q3 answer is correct then I'm happy

I can say from experience that it will resume. : )
#7jamieeng(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 8:46:15 AM
gtaking5 posted...
From experience, installs are usually 10-15 minutes for games that are 10+ gigs. But since BO2 is nearly 20 gigs, I'd expect at least 20 minutes minimum. But it's been awhile since I actually sat around doing nothing while installing a huge game.

Also never install a game while you have something downloading after the game. I learned that the hard way when it took me an hour and a half to install Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One.

1. It's Black Ops 1 I'm playing.
2. Doesn't the install time depend on the hard drive and its condition? Mine is a 120GB with 80GB left and the HDD is about 2 years old. Will it, or not, affect the install time?
---
#8jamieeng(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 8:46:51 AM
PHEEliNUX posted...

No, but can I DOWNLOAD whilst playing? Because you can do background download but not background install
---
#9PHEEliNUXPosted 3/9/2013 8:47:34 AM
jamieeng posted...
PHEEliNUX posted...

No, but can I DOWNLOAD whilst playing? Because you can do background download but not background install

Yep, I always download my games while playing.
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#10gtaking5Posted 3/9/2013 9:11:51 AM
Nah. At least I don't think so. Downloading a second thing in the background during an installation will always be a no no. It increases the time to install by like 100%, even if it's just a 30MB song for Rock Band.

PHEEliNUX posted...

Like I said above, only certain games. If they have an online capability it will pause the download, so no CoD, GTA, Red Dead, Max Payne 3, Uncharted, Rock Band/Guitar Hero, etc etc. Also some single player only games can not be played either for some reasons. Only ones I've noticed that pause the download though are Ratchet and Clank and Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando. Not sure why. That's the PSN download BTW. Not the HD collection. The HD collection counts as an online game cause of UYA. But I really have no idea why the separate releases of the games pause downloads when two of them don't even have online play.
---
Hey, X-kid, bombs away, here goes nothing
The shouting's over now, over and out again