This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i thought you could beat FFXIII just by holding X and pushing the analog upwards

#1JONlCSPosted 3/10/2013 12:20:33 AM
turns out you have to press other buttons when youre in battle. you cant grind to the max in every chapter in the game.

and im slowly liking the game now. the linear paths and the lack of townz dont really bother me. it's the lack of sidequests and minigames early in the game, though.
---
JawnixPSboy
http://i.imgur.com/Cwfmd.jpg
#2PhaseSlaethePosted 3/10/2013 12:21:44 AM
The most you press in battle is X and the D-Pad/Stick to choose between 2 different paradigms.

That is all.

And the game doesn't really have grinding. It basically forces you to be at just the right level nearly ALL the time.
#3JONlCS(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 12:27:10 AM
and L1 button for the paradigm window. and O for canceling attacks. and pause for when you gotta scratch your nuts
---
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/JawnixPSboy/oie_2533625deZ8fqDP.jpg
JawnixPSboy
#4StickyJumperPosted 3/10/2013 12:28:58 AM
JONlCS posted...
turns out you have to press other buttons when youre in battle. you cant grind to the max in every chapter in the game.

and im slowly liking the game now. the linear paths and the lack of townz dont really bother me. it's the lack of sidequests and minigames early in the game, though.

you can auto-battle your way through the whole of FFXIII, just switch to different paradigms when you need a heal or buffs etc

same thing can be done in FFXIII-2

i did it for both games. most stress-free FFs i ever played, but i'm really disappointed the battles weren't that difficult.

also ever since they removed mana/MP as a resource, you can cast whatever the hell you want forever, no limitations. i feel like this change really made combat a lot more dull/too simple, since you didn't have to even make a meaningful choice in combat anymore (e.g. picking the right spell to cast/etc)
#5ReD_ToMaToPosted 3/10/2013 12:35:12 AM
FFXIII is a sweet game, people are just idiots.
---
PSN: ReD_ToMaTo
#6Hucast9Posted 3/10/2013 12:39:56 AM
JONlCS posted...

Whoever says that you can win just by mindlessly pressing X is telling lies. Even normal enemy encounters can wipe you out if you don't select to switch to Sentinel at the appropriate times.
#7RBGamer_Posted 3/10/2013 12:47:12 AM
Hucast9 posted...
JONlCS posted...

Whoever says that you can win just by mindlessly pressing X is telling lies. Even normal enemy encounters can wipe you out if you don't select to switch to Sentinel at the appropriate times.

Um, Sentinel, Ravager, Commando. You can demolish 80% of the game with that setup, no thinking required.
---
You must destroy the mind, then hopefully retrain
Toruture out the wildness then usher in the tame.
#8angry_cowtipperPosted 3/10/2013 12:59:06 AM
You can't hold X, you have to mash it.
---
Don't Starve (PC), Okami HD (PS3), Halo: Reach (360), Dungeon Defenders (AND), Gravity Rush (VITA)
#9MrSmadSmartAlexPosted 3/10/2013 1:56:36 AM
It's an exaggeration, but the gameplay is insultingly simplistic.
#10Castiel39Posted 3/10/2013 2:07:24 AM
I'm pretty sure you could complete most of the game (if we don't count sidequests) by simply using something like: COM-MED-COM or maybe even COM-MED-MED if enemies hit hard. Battles would take ridiculously long, but it's doable.