This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i thought you could beat FFXIII just by holding X and pushing the analog upwards

#41CooperRCPosted 3/10/2013 9:09:31 AM
People just need to face reality. Hard and turn based JRPG do not belong in the same sentence. The games have always been easy. The only JRPG's that have the possibility of being difficult are those with action combat, but most of those games are even still easy.
#42JONlCS(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:25:14 AM
and seeing the game over screen is realistic.

from every PS1 and PS2 FF games that i've played, i have rarely seen that screen.

im only 18 hours into XIII and i have seen the game over screen more than i've seen in the PS1/PS2 FF games combined.
---
http://i.imgur.com/WM6drjO.gif
JawnixPSboy
#43Devilman_AmonPosted 3/10/2013 9:35:26 AM
Let's talk about townz baby
Lets talk about Lightning and me
Let's talk about all the good things and the bad things
of FF XIII

Le'ts talk about mashing X
Let's talk about Fang & Vanille sex
Let's talk about Paradigm shifts and all the bad ****
that comes with it

Let's talk about....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#44Devilman_AmonPosted 3/10/2013 9:40:03 AM
CooperRC posted...
People just need to face reality. Hard and turn based JRPG do not belong in the same sentence. The games have always been easy. The only JRPG's that have the possibility of being difficult are those with action combat, but most of those games are even still easy.

Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Witcher, Fallout 3/NV, Borderlands are a breeze to play.

Try playing SMT Nocturne in terms of difficulty compared to those and get back to me. Heck, even some Wizardry and DQ titles

Heck even Binary Domain, a straight 3rd person shooter, is harder than Mass Effect 3 and that's not even an RPG...(but compared to ME3 it might as well be)
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#45DemonDog666Posted 3/10/2013 9:43:39 AM
angry_cowtipper posted...
You can't hold X, you have to mash it.

you can if you have a turbo controller.
#46CooperRCPosted 3/10/2013 9:49:30 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
CooperRC posted...

Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Witcher, Fallout 3/NV, Borderlands are a breeze to play.

Try playing SMT Nocturne in terms of difficulty compared to those and get back to me. Heck, even some Wizardry and DQ titles

Heck even Binary Domain, a straight 3rd person shooter, is harder than Mass Effect 3 and that's not even an RPG...(but compared to ME3 it might as well be)

I have played every turn based RPG you have listed here and they were all still easy games (even Nocturne).

I did not say that all action RPG's are harder, but they do have the potential to be harder (i.e. Demons Souls).
#47Devilman_AmonPosted 3/10/2013 9:53:56 AM
CooperRC posted...

I did not say that all action RPG's are harder, but they do have the potential to be harder (i.e. Demons Souls).

Demon''s Souls is sword and shield. not really action hack n slash.

The weight and limited movement of your character and the sluggish movement is what gives it it's difficulty. But the enemy moves in predictable patterns so after you have (like Contra), learned it's patterns *after dying a few times in the process*, it becomes easier. However, it is a MUCH harder game than the WRPG's I listed because of this.

However, good turn base games require proper strategy as well. You cant just attack attack attack without planning or thinking in the games I mentioned. You will die.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#48DemonDog666Posted 3/10/2013 10:33:26 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Demon''s Souls is sword and shield. not really action hack n slash.

The weight and limited movement of your character and the sluggish movement is what gives it it's difficulty. But the enemy moves in predictable patterns so after you have (like Contra), learned it's patterns *after dying a few times in the process*, it becomes easier. However, it is a MUCH harder game than the WRPG's I listed because of this.

However, good turn base games require proper strategy as well. You cant just attack attack attack without planning or thinking in the games I mentioned. You will die.

No everything having high damage is what gives the game it's difficulty, and you are only sluggish if you weigh yourself down with too much armor. It's hard because getting a single direct hit can often get yourself killed which simply isn't true in wrpgs unless you are seriously out of your level.

I agree with you on the turn base games though, I hate the ones where you can just spam attack and heal, strategy is important. I don't like that turn based games are going away and taking a backseat to tactic games though, I like tactic games too but I want turn based too.
#49king_maddenPosted 3/10/2013 10:39:16 AM
echa_One posted...
Hater A: Pffft! You only need to press X in FFXIII!
Neutral B: Then don't use it. You can set it to non-default.
Hater A: Yeah, but auto battle chooses good skill combinations and it's fast.
Neutral B: Okay, so use it and don't complain.
Hater A: But it's just pressing X all throughout the game.
Neutral B: Like I said, don't use auto battle, then.
Hater A: I don't like manual skill picking and it's too slow!
Neutral B: ...
Hater A: I hate auto-battle. It just makes me press X.
Neutral B: Previous FFs also did that with the 'Attack' command dominating the games.
Hater A: Okay, I still hate auto battle for no reason. Now let's talk about townzzzzzzz!
Neutral B: ...

That's usually how the "conversations" go.

ive never seen any of these debates go this way, defenders usually try to bring up how complicated and complex it is, and feel that if you dont agree then you didnt really play the game. people usually complain because it was put in the game to begin with, it made an easy game even easier. i can win the majority of the fights holding the controller with one hand. and none of the previous FF did this, just pressing attack would get you killed fairly early in games it was just basic attack, auto battle cast magic, attacks, heals, everything.
#50tiornysPosted 3/10/2013 10:54:08 AM
MrSmadSmartAlex posted...
The problem with XIII is that there's basically nothing to do except autobattle and the occasional Paradigm Shift.

You mean aside from manual entry, partial command entry, partial ATB execution, and command execution cancellation? Or, say, frequent Paradigm Shifts instead of occasional ones? Taking advantage of the fact that Paradigm shifts are the primary level of control you have over the battle?

There are no real options for equipment, magic, etc. anymore.

Each tier of magic spell stays relevant for different situations, so instead of Fira obsoleting Fire the way it does in previous FF games, Fire and Fira are both viable options. Every status buff is relevant, unlike many in previous FF games. Every status ailment is relevant, unlike most in previous FF games. FFXIII arguably has more viable options for magic than the other entries in the series.

Each character has at least 2 viable choices for top-tier weaponry--most FFs have a single top-tier choice. Optimal accessories can be chosen from damage reduction, stat boosting, or auto-buffing depending on the scenario, not to mention reward-boosting or rule-breaking accessories. Plenty of options here.

Speaking of characters, you can form 60 distinct teams of three characters, counting different leaders as different teams. Each team has different strengths and weaknesses. These options may not get explored by most players, but they most certainly exist.

No little tricks to work out (like KotR/HP Absorb or Final Attack/Revive in VII).

ATB refresh. Damage multiplier stacking. Group staggering. Ability-->COM. Cut/Keep manipulation. Daze spamming. Timing a shift so an AI character uses back-to-back attack chains without pause.

No managing characters beyond letting the stupid AI do what it wants in one of a handful of roles (a gimped, forced version of XII's handy Gambit system).

You probably call it streamlined. I call it boring as hell, and I'm certainly not alone in that.

The difference between XIII's AI system and XII's gambit system is this: in XII, I have one gambit script per character. In XIII, I have six, and I can easily switch between them during battle. XII offers greater control on a micro level. XIII offers greater control on a macro level.