This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have turn-based RPGs become outdated?

#1Spoiled_ClichePosted 3/10/2013 8:06:51 AM
Have turn-based RPGs become outdated? - Results (154 votes)
Yes, COMPLETELY OUTDATED! Real time combat is better in every way. Who wants to wait a turn to watch an attack!?
3.9% (6 votes)
Yes, mostly outdated. Turn-based combat is only justified in SRPGs.
6.49% (10 votes)
Yes, the classic turn-based combat is outdated now. However, innovative combat like the Grandia series is still welcome.
7.79% (12 votes)
Not quite outdated. Classic turn-based combat still has some charm as a niche sub-genre.
13.64% (21 votes)
Not outdated at all. With proper tweaking, it becomes just as good as real time combat.
37.01% (57 votes)
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Turn-based combat is by far the best one. There is not nearly enough turn-based games nowadays.
29.22% (45 votes)
hehehe...your sword combat is no more. RPGs have evolved to customizable shooters.
1.95% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I remember that there were lot of discussions on the PS3 board about turn-based RPGs, especially JRPGs, becoming outdated. Now that GameFAQs had a poll system, what's your opinion on the matter?
#2PHEEliNUXPosted 3/10/2013 8:15:34 AM
Not outdated at all, It can be even better than real-time if done right
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#3keybladeXIIIPosted 3/10/2013 8:17:48 AM
As long as Pokemon exists....no.
---
I hate seeing sigs with PC specs on them.
PSN: tookhster ------ Proud owner of a Wii, PS3, 360, 3DS, Vita, and now a Wii U!
#4TehAssasinPosted 3/10/2013 8:19:33 AM
PHEEliNUX posted...
Not outdated at all, It can be even better than real-time if done right
#5InfernoSDPosted 3/10/2013 8:25:11 AM
I don't think the concept of a battle system where you take turns is bad on its own. But 95% of turn-based games seem to be rehashing the same exact battle systems that were invented decades ago. Boss starts charging up an attack, you're supposed to hit defend. Enemy is fire element, you're supposed to use water/ice. You get low on HP, time to use the party member with heal skills, or start chugging consumables.

Boring as f***. I don't know how people can stomach playing this same game day after day, year after year. I want to like them, because I tend to like a lot of what these games have going on outside of battle. But there's just not enough there for me, it's too bad.
---
|| ||\ || ||"" ||"" ||"") ||\ || /''''\
|| || \|| ||"" ||, ||""\ || \|| \,,,/
#6Devilman_AmonPosted 3/10/2013 8:26:26 AM
In ever genre you have a choice

In racing games, you can go for arcade action, realistic simulation, or Kart games

In fighting games, you can go for 2D, 2.5D, 3D roaming, even first person

In shooting games you can go for first person corridor, first person open world, third person, 2D side scroller, vertical/horizontal 2D bullet hell.

In flight games you can go for 2D, 3D simulation, 3D arcade

In Adventure games you can go for 2D still frames, 3D rendered, point and click, QTE

In horror games, you can go for survival horror, action horror, horror with humor involved

In beat em up/hack n slash, you can go for limited but brutal A.I. , clearing out hordes of enemies (one vs thousand), 2D, 2.5D, 3D roaming

In strategy games, you can go for turns, real time, grid based, simulation based

So why should RPG's be restricted to hack n slash action/shooting hybrids? There is variety for a reason. Because people like to have choices.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#7MrMolinaroPosted 3/10/2013 8:42:07 AM
You can chart the decline of RPGs with the decline of MBC (menu based combat). During the "golden age" of RPG production most games were using similar MBC systems. If someone was familiar with one RPG they could pick up almost any other game in the genre and be able to play without much of a learning curve. When developers abandoned the standardized system in favor of reinventing the wheel with every game they made the genre less accessible for the uninitiated and less appealing to the existing base of RPG players.

The trend towards real time action is problematic. AI party members are required for any RTA system and I've yet to encounter AI that wasn't a hindrance. I end up devoting more thought to fighting bad AI than I do to fighting the enemies. RTA is turning most RPGs into hack n' slash games where the only real challenge is babysitting.
#8DemonDog666Posted 3/10/2013 8:44:43 AM
It's not outdated it's just not supported.
#9MudbuttSanchezPosted 3/10/2013 8:46:01 AM
It might be outdated to console gamers that only wanna play shooters and action games in HD, but it'll always have a place on handhelds.
#10djmaster1994Posted 3/10/2013 10:37:01 AM
Turn Base RPG are on Handhelds such as 3DS and DS and PSP.
---
A Proud Member of the N-Dub Nation!!