This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

4 reasons why The Last of Us will disappoint...

#1mrplasmacutterPosted 3/10/2013 10:36:38 AM
1) Detective Vision. (Press R2 to see through walls and track enemies) Naughty Dog is taking a cue from stealth games like Arkham Asylum and Dishonored, among others. However, in those games, Detective vision is natural, stemming from Batman's super gadgets and Corvo Attano's powers. This, of course, may seem like a small nitpick, but it could very well make a tense survival experience into a more predictable one.

2) Ellie. She will play a part not too unlike Clementine from TWD episodes. Naughty Dog is, of course, hoping to extract some emotion from the player as they fall in love with her character. The real issue has to do with the AI. She will be your partner throughout the entire game. Will she be as explosive and dynamic as seen in the masterful cutscenes? That remains to be seen, but I predict a certain notable disconnect between the cutscenes and gameplay.

3) Story. If you think about it, there is very little that can surprise in a story like this one. Two people surviving together in a wasteland of fungus infected zombies. The story will obviously center on the relationship between the two main characters. The general conflict of the game is very much generic: survive against the infected and trusting others. This is pretty much "The Walking Dead." There is nothing wrong with that and we all love zombies and infected etc. However, there is very little innovation here aside from character relationships. There are no complex conflicts.

4) Combat. Naughty Dog is known for their superb animation and graphical work. The Uncharted series is arguably the best-looking series of this generation. However, the actual combat was lacking immensely. This is something I really think The Last of Us could potentially improve upon, especially since you have so many options here. You can stealth past infected, shoot them, use environmental weapons etc. It sounds too good to be true, and that's because it is. I predict the combat will be a disappointment again. The atmosphere, instead, will be front and center and the main attraction.
#2FiendingHardPosted 3/10/2013 10:40:06 AM
A surprisingly accurate and realistic prediction. Why does a survival game need detective vision again?
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Metal Gear Rising, Bulletstorm, Anarchy Reigns, Final Fantasy 9.
#3RollingCradlePosted 3/10/2013 10:47:21 AM
Wait how are they explaining detective vision in this?

the biggest problem for the game that i see, is feminists! They will keep ND and Sony from pushing the envelope so the game ends up being another generic uncharted!

First of all, Ellie is 14, which means she can't suffer grisly deaths, no of course not!

So, second of all, there is no reason to ever "protect" Ellie since she has to be invincible, to avoid grisly deaths! Or fondling! Or worse!?

This sucks because now there wont be ryona vids of Ellie on youtube, which would have really helped promote the game and increase interest.

The result is another invincible sidekick just like all the previous uncharteds, Ellie runs around knifing stuff to death singlehandedly and running her damn mouth. So the game ends up just another gritty guy shooting a buncha hoodlums and zombies, with a 14 yr-old girl shoehorned in just cuz it lets the promotional material (and case cover!) make the game seem less generic then what it is.
#4Bancario51Posted 3/10/2013 10:54:50 AM
5) You will like Clementine better than this girl.
---
What is the meaning of life? A: Nanomachines, son
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#5zerooo0Posted 3/10/2013 10:56:29 AM
I can give you 1. reason to negate all of your points........It's Naughty Dog. Anything they touch turns to gold.
---
Official Aquaman & Deathstroke of Injustice Gods Among Us
#6kcypher2000Posted 3/10/2013 10:59:03 AM
zerooo0 posted...
I can give you 1. reason to negate all of your points........It's Naughty Dog. Anything they touch turns to gold.

Only to blind fanboys who ignored their games many flaws.
#7_tanjil_Posted 3/10/2013 11:00:17 AM(edited)
gotta respect TCs logical explanations, but people who don't agree will probably just come up with troll reasoning

EDIT: What do you know, there are 2 already
#8metfan57Posted 3/10/2013 11:01:11 AM
_tanjil_ posted...
gotta respect TCs logical explanations, but people who don't agree will probably just come up with troll reasoning

EDIT: What do you know, there are 2 already

---
"idk I didn't really read your post cause u sound annoying"
#9zerooo0Posted 3/10/2013 11:01:53 AM
kcypher2000 posted...
zerooo0 posted...

Only to blind fanboys who ignored their games many flaws.

Lets look at Naughty Dogs past game.

The Uncharted series

Fun campaign-Check
Good story-Check
Good Voice Actors/Actresses-Check
Interesting Characters-Check
Great looking games(Or graphics)-check
Fun Multiplayer-Check

So, it's all good.
---
Official Aquaman & Deathstroke of Injustice Gods Among Us
#10_The_Hitcher_Posted 3/10/2013 11:02:46 AM
1) You seem to have misunderstood the feature. It shows sounds in a visual manner, not everyone has a high quality surround-sound set up, this allows people without that to use audio cues in a more effective manner. A silent enemy can't be detected. If you do have a good setup though, there's nothing forcing you to use the feature.

2) She seems perfectly capable in the gameplay footage we have seen, see no issue here.

3) We know almost nothing about the story besides the general idea that he's taking the girl somewhere, plenty of possibilities to surprise. Regardless, there wasn't much surprising in The Road, that was just a story about an adult and a child, it was still a great book.

4) I like the combat in Uncharted, it seems to be improved in this, honestly don't know what you're on about.
---
PSN: ForeverLost
XBL: ForeverLost360