This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PSN digital copy compatible with physical copy saves?

#1bman52480Posted 3/11/2013 9:59:36 PM
So I have been thinking about downloading the digital version of mass effect 3 even though I have had the game since launch and all the DLC. Mostly I just want to save my disk drive from all the spinning and I am vainly hoping the game will load faster at times in single player.

However, I have all the DLC already installed and it seems to be one giant file. Anyone know if it would be possible to download the digital vanilla game of ME3 and just dispense with the disk? I presume my saved games would be compatible, and the online component is not stored on the console either, but I have about 10 gigs, if not more, of DLC which would probably take a week to download over the dsl connection I have here.

Any ideas?
---
We don't have TIME for this! The Pasteur's core is going to breach!
#2AwayFromHerePosted 3/11/2013 10:04:21 PM
Yeah.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#3RyuuHou25Posted 3/11/2013 10:05:21 PM
You realize that playing it off the HDD is going to cause more of a strain on that and if that dies, you're completely SOL!!

But seriously, the disc drive is designed to be used and abused daily for hours on end.

There is no benefit to going digital, load times, if they ever are better on a digital copy, are only a few scant seconds at best, mostly it's the same.

However, your saves should be useable, and the DLC and online are all stored in the data file, which the digital version will use as well. The digital version is the same as your disc version.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#4Stanger5150Posted 3/11/2013 10:20:41 PM
That's funny. I'm doing the exact opposite of what you're doing. Since Sony has shown that they have no interest in future-proofing our digital content, I'm re-buying all of my digital games in physical form (the ones that have disc versions, anyway).
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Vanquish- PS3, Super Mario Bros. 2- NES
#5RainIsMyDrugPosted 3/11/2013 10:32:42 PM
I don't buy digital bside DLC ( no choice ) I like to have that feeling that I bought something with my money and not just pay to use it's service
#6NightwishPosted 3/11/2013 10:42:49 PM
Much rather replace the hdd than the BR drive...that being said every instance I've tried of saves being cross compatible with DD/physical copies are fine, just be sure it's the same region
---
PSN: Xnightwish XBL: Xnightwish
#7bman52480(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 10:56:54 PM
Thanks everyone. HDDs are cheap. Blu ray repair probably not. I put in a 1tb for a little over a hundred bucks
---
We don't have TIME for this! The Pasteur's core is going to breach!
#8AnonUnknownPosted 3/12/2013 9:27:21 AM(edited)
I'm 100% sure certain savegames aren't compatible because the serial is different. For example, Wipeout HD.