This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Gundam still relevant for today's crowd?

#1KaliestoPosted 3/13/2013 5:06:02 AM
Been on my mind, I mean it's been a long time since a Gundam game has come to the PS3 and the cartoon series as well.
---
"GameFAQs is a giant MMO text adventure." - Clarifinatious
"I've beat it twice." - TheLichLord
#2Evil_GogetaPosted 3/13/2013 5:17:08 AM
I`m not sure what you mean, to the west or teh world in general?

In Japan its one of the biggest things and it is always relevant!
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (WiiU) MH3GHD and Dragon Quest X Beta (Vita) Soul Sacrifice and PSO2.
#3MonoculusPosted 3/13/2013 5:43:23 AM
Wasn't there a free-to-play online Gundam game on the Japanese PSN sometime recently? I didn't look into it much but it would've been cool to see it come stateside.
---
XBL: RandomTag529 | Steam/PSN: FEGuy | 3DS FC: 2466-1889-8046
NES|SNES|PSX|N64|GC|X360|Wii|PS3|PC|GB|GBC|GBA|DS|PSP|Lite|3DS|Xperia Play|Vita|3DS XL
#4theshovellerPosted 3/13/2013 7:21:50 AM
I think the last Gundam game to come to the US was Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, which I thought was slightly sub-par compared to DWG2. I do wish we'd get more Gundam games of the "giant mech action" variety, though. Some of those look cool.

As for the actual cartoons being relevant for today's crowd... tough call. Some of them are very good - I watched all of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, and ZZ Gundam last summer and enjoyed them - but I think a lot of anime fans in general nowadays want one of two things:

1. New stuff that's popular. It's why we have more Naruto games than you can shake a ninja at, and all they play on American TV anime-wise is Bleach, Naruto, and maybe one or two other shows.

2. Old "nostalgia-factor" stuff, like Dragonball and Dragonball Z. Something new to them, but not made in the last two or three years? Might as well forget it, because it's "too old for them." And some of this stuff I don't think is even that old - the original Gundam's from maybe mid to late 70's, stuff like the original Slayers and Saber Marionette J might be from the late 80's to maybe mid-90's.

And that's not all anime fans, mind you - but I'd wager a large portion of them. It's one of the reasons why I don't bother going to Otakon anymore - in addition to the rude people, they don't have anything smaller that's not well heard of, or old classics or anything. I had a hell of a time trying to find the original Mobile Suit Gundam TV show - hell, only one or two places even had any of the three "movie compilations" that the show was streamlined down into, and that was "old."

Just my thoughts on it.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#5jammiesPosted 3/13/2013 7:28:18 AM
Gundam was relevant?
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#6lambchipsPosted 3/13/2013 7:29:51 AM
i dont even know what a gundam is
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#7toadiemanPosted 3/13/2013 7:37:46 AM
lambchips posted...
i dont even know what a gundam is

It's the asian song ohpah gundam style.
---
PSN: toadieman
#8Auron772Posted 3/13/2013 7:39:52 AM
Mechs are always relevant as far as I'm concerned, doubly so for Gundams.
---
"I have two rules I follow. The first, never kill someone without a reason. The second, you can always find a reason to kill someone." - Saren
#9DaggeraxePosted 3/13/2013 7:45:50 AM
Gundam is pretty much the Star Wars of Japan.
#10Evil_GogetaPosted 3/13/2013 7:48:45 AM
Daggeraxe posted...
Gundam is pretty much the Star Wars of Japan.

It is and it isnt, girls in the west love Star Wars.....Gundam on the other hand.....
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (WiiU) MH3GHD and Dragon Quest X Beta (Vita) Soul Sacrifice and PSO2.