This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a PURE FUN game you've played this gen that wasn't a financially success?

#1monkeyman0111Posted 3/13/2013 11:32:40 AM
I've noticed a trend that the games that fail financially are the moderate budget games that don't do anything new, but are still fun. These are typically not ground breaking and usually get between a 5-8/10 meta critic

What have you played that was fun to you?

For me:
Warhawk: It was groundbreaking to me, but not to the masses. I think it had to do with a small PS3 install base at the time (I hope we get a Warhawk 2, not another starhawk)

others:
Neir
Playstation All Stars Battle Royal
Blur
---
"There are TONS of games that look BEAUTIFUL. It's not a matter of polygons anymore, it's a matter of ART DIRECTION now"
PSN: Monkeyman0111
#2JohnHitman47Posted 3/13/2013 11:34:49 AM
Mercenaries its the only 1, all the others have been a success.
---
Love good shooters and horror.
#3darkshadowmasterPosted 3/13/2013 11:37:16 AM
JohnHitman47 posted...
Mercenaries its the only 1, all the others have been a success.

The first one was awesome. I loved that game.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#4xWantPosted 3/13/2013 11:38:36 AM
Mugen Souls. It's so fun and wonderful but because it got censored, the niche fans turned their back on it and I'm not even sure we are going to get the sequel... Sad.
---
Currently Playing : Mugen Souls, Disegea 3 Vita, Persona 4 Arena , HDN Victory
PSN : AntiGenjou
#5IcrushlilpeoplePosted 3/13/2013 11:42:17 AM
Asura's Wrath and Mirror's Edge
#6spectermaster14Posted 3/13/2013 11:43:34 AM
Dark Sector. The glaive mechanics in DS were great, the enemies were fun, story was goofy and had RE-esque charm to it, it was just really, really fun to me.

Wet was a score attack based masterpiece. Chaining combos was extremely fun and the arena scenes were great. Haven't finished it yet, but I'm thinking Singularity is getting added to that list soon, too, very overlooked.

Splatterhouse and Afro Samurai deserve a mention, too. Same developer, similar style, and both were treated pretty unfairly. Afro even pulled the "cut anything" move MG Rising is so proud of and did a good job of it. The fact that you could cut and break or catch a bullet for counter attacks was neat.

EDF: Insect Armageddon is miles better than 2017, closer to EDF2 in quality. But it was sadly overlooked because some nimrods didn't grasp what it was going for. Just because the monsters don't look like men in suits doesn't mean it's trying to be serious, it wasn't going for a Japanese monster movie look, and that was the point, it was going after a crappy mockbuster from the states. Seeing the equivalent style was one of the best parts about EDF jumping from an eastern dev to a western one.
#7monkeyman0111(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2013 11:55:40 AM
spectermaster14 posted...
Dark Sector. The glaive mechanics in DS were great, the enemies were fun, story was goofy and had RE-esque charm to it, it was just really, really fun to me.

Wet was a score attack based masterpiece. Chaining combos was extremely fun and the arena scenes were great. Haven't finished it yet, but I'm thinking Singularity is getting added to that list soon, too, very overlooked.

Splatterhouse and Afro Samurai deserve a mention, too. Same developer, similar style, and both were treated pretty unfairly. Afro even pulled the "cut anything" move MG Rising is so proud of and did a good job of it. The fact that you could cut and break or catch a bullet for counter attacks was neat.

EDF: Insect Armageddon is miles better than 2017, closer to EDF2 in quality. But it was sadly overlooked because some nimrods didn't grasp what it was going for. Just because the monsters don't look like men in suits doesn't mean it's trying to be serious, it wasn't going for a Japanese monster movie look, and that was the point, it was going after a crappy mockbuster from the states. Seeing the equivalent style was one of the best parts about EDF jumping from an eastern dev to a western one.,

True, I also think budget games have weird stigma with the masses, that if it's new at $40 there might be something wrong with it
---
"There are TONS of games that look BEAUTIFUL. It's not a matter of polygons anymore, it's a matter of ART DIRECTION now"
#8theshovellerPosted 3/13/2013 11:59:43 AM
monkeyman0111 posted...
True, I also think budget games have weird stigma with the masses, that if it's new at $40 there might be something wrong with it

I think I actually have a copy of Insect Armageddon for the PC. That's the one they have on Steam, right? It is (or was) part of some "pay-what-you-want" bundle recently.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#9StephieGamerPosted 3/13/2013 12:07:52 PM
Vanquish
Singularity
Binary Domain
Enslaved
de Blob 2
Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
---
My name's Reggie. I'm about kickin' ass. I'm about takin' names. And we're about makin' games.
#10monkeyman0111(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2013 12:11:14 PM
theshoveller posted...
monkeyman0111 posted...

I think I actually have a copy of Insect Armageddon for the PC. That's the one they have on Steam, right? It is (or was) part of some "pay-what-you-want" bundle recently.

Nice, I'm jelly.
---