This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which game best introduces a non-gamer to turn-based RPGs?

#1WiiFan77Posted 3/13/2013 6:06:39 PM
I have a friend who never plays any games, except for a couple of free puzzle games. I would like to introduce him to the turn-based RPG genre, but he is not very apt at games, and the greatest extent of his knowledge on RPGs is what "HP" means. Can anyone recommend some games that would best introduce this friend to the genre? It must be a game that can help him understand the basic concept of how turn-based RPGs in general work. (PS3, Vita, PSP, DS, or 3DS will do.)
---
Official Ditto of the Pokemon X/Y board.
Official Neko Shogun of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#2Banjo2553Posted 3/13/2013 6:09:09 PM
Well, since you opened it up to DS or 3DS stuff...probably any one of the Mario RPGs like Paper Mario or the Mario & Luigi games. They're not difficult really, they seem more like the casual kind of RPGs even though there's more overall gameplay involved.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#3RBGamer_Posted 3/13/2013 6:10:30 PM
Rainbow Moon
---
You must destroy the mind, then hopefully retrain
Toruture out the wildness then usher in the tame.
#4harcoreblazerPosted 3/13/2013 6:12:46 PM
Try Pokemon, very simple, and can train him for bigger RPGs like Chrono Trigger or FF6. As the above poster said, the mario and luigi games are good too, and i reccomend Bowser Inside Story, fun game, new players can play, and you can evade attacks so casuals will be good with it.
---
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't