This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone feel like QTE just breaks the immersion during cutscenes?

#1yamas11Posted 3/14/2013 10:58:20 AM
Instead of actually paying attention to the vital story of the cutscene, my mind is more focused on getting ready to press whatever random button the game is about to throw at me.

Sometimes I just want to watch a cutscene and relax to see what the story is about.
---
This is my sig
#2EseenuzPosted 3/14/2013 11:00:21 AM
I feel the opposite is true. It creates immersion
#3teddifiedPosted 3/14/2013 11:19:55 AM
I dunno are you actually seeing QTE's in cutscenes though? Cause mostly QTE's come from battles and like platforming.

There aren't much QTE's if any in important cutscenes where they just talk.
---
The Terror of Death.....
PSN - Teddified
#4Kage_AM2Posted 3/14/2013 11:22:03 AM
QTEs break the immerson of everything.
#5SigmaHacielPosted 3/14/2013 11:23:59 AM
MGR did them pretty well. But actual cutscene QTE break all.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#6JoveHackPosted 3/14/2013 12:01:13 PM(edited)
yamas11 posted...
Instead of actually paying attention to the vital story of the cutscene, my mind is more focused on getting ready to press whatever random button the game is about to throw at me.

Sometimes I just want to watch a cutscene and relax to see what the story is about.

It depends on how it's done. In Tomb Raider: Legend the keypresses are always the same in the cutscene, and are appropriate to the action Lara takes. X to jump, R1 to fire. That's capable of pulling the player in.

That way your reflexes and memory the key symbols isn't what matters. Instead, it's whether you can fire, jump, dodge, grapple when the situation requires it. Which is what the game has been training you in, so most players can do that, even if they don't know the button symbols.

It's still a pain to get back from the bathroom and find the game over screen, because you took a break at the beginning of the cutscene.

Resident Evil 4 does the exact opposite. Shamus Young first takes on QTEs in general.

X, A, B Win
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/7887-Stolen-Pixels-214-X-A-B-Win

Shamus then does a great takedown of QTEs in 4RE.

Everyone's Favorite Crutch
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/5733-Everyones-Favorite-Crutch

I've found myself unconsciously stealing those arguments more than once.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#7vervainePosted 3/14/2013 11:27:27 AM
Definitely, it totally breaks immersion for me. I tune out the dialogue and whatever and focus on catching that little QTE prompt if it appears. I'd rather sit back and watch the cutscene than do something during it. I'm supposed to get into the story and characters, not watch out for button symbols.

Heck, even Heavy Rain wasn't as immersive as it could be with QTE action sequences. Slow QTE gameplay was fine (and very immersive), but not rapid prompts. There's one section where you have to catch and fight a guy and I couldn't remember anything from it, just symbols flashing. My friend was watching and said it looked really cool... We ended up replaying this chapter with me watching her. :/

I'd love the option to turn off the QTEs during cutscenes. They're annoying and useless IMHO.
#8SightoPosted 3/14/2013 11:28:35 AM
Eseenuz posted...
I feel the opposite is true. It creates immersion

---
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/15/15988000/ngbbs47fa102e7660f.gif
#9Teepo64Posted 3/14/2013 11:29:35 AM
Depends on the game.

I think Tomb Raider does it so well.
---
"I used to be a Solarii like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
#10FellDudePosted 3/14/2013 11:34:08 AM
An occasional QTE is fine, especially if it offers/leads to a different story path. But for the most part I agree that it breaks immersion.

RE6 was a prime example of how not to do QTE's, imo. They were pointlessly overdone and all just lead to cheap death scenes... which was boring.
---
Of all the game consoles ever made, the Xbox 360 is the one closest to perfecting the hundred percent failure rate. - Former Owner of 3 of Microsoft Xbox 360's.