This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ninja Gaiden Vetrens answer my questions please

#1_tanjil_Posted 3/16/2013 12:23:30 PM(edited)
So I have a few things I would like to understand about this series. I usually play DMC and Bayonetta and I'm noticing some big differences...

Defense...

1. The dash isn't entirely safe is it? I end up using the dodge more than block, but at the end of the dodge say I dodge into an off screen enemy, I get hit without being able to dodge again or block. So is it different from other games, are dodges not full invincibility frames up until recovery?

2. How effective is blocking supposed to be? The enemies are pretty aggressive so I get hit my strong attacks and instantly forced into a stagger state and awkward block string.

3. How effective is the counter? I never liked relying on parries so I'd like to know if I should adapt to them. I haven't gotten the timing down yet but it can't be that hard...

4. How do you deal with monsters you can't see on screen? Like in Ayane's level in Master Ninja. When you're fighting and the purple guys spawn where you can't see them. They use this jump attack that destroys you, but you can't see it coming =S So you just hope they don't use it from a blind spot. Or on Ryu's level, the invisible guys that just start hitting you while you;re in the middle of a combo, or you think you found a safe spot to kill the rocket launcher enemies. Not all enemies give away a sound to give you a heads up

Offense

5. This game seems to be like most 3D fighters, like DOA for instance... in the fact that many of the attacks aren't true attack strings. Like I'll go for a [] [] [] [] /\ but the enemies will slide out by the 3rd or 4th [] sometimes. So is it because I'm being slow with my inputs or some attacks aren't true attack strings?

6. Are there any cancel-able attack strings? In DMC I can cancel certain attack strings with a special move like stinger or just jump cancel. I tried to cancel an air attack with that forward /\ attack but no luck. So no creativity behind combos?

7. Is abusing SoB really the way to play? It seems most people are saying on higher difficulties just dash around, herd enemies and then wait for a chance. That doesn't sound like fun, just sounds like exploiting the system

8. Is there a way to get enemies to use the attacks that initiate SoB? I wanna unlock Kasumi but it's frustrating. Everyone says the only way is to kill only with SoB. But last night I literally spent 7 minutes waiting for a group of enemies to attack. They kept using kart wheels, random slashes, but never the red hand attack... So I'd get impatient and hoped for an S, got stuck with A's =S

Other
9. Is there any option for health recovery? Like I go into a boss fight with 25% HP remaining, I'm forced to fight in the same conditions if I die and re-spawn. The only way around it seems to reload your save data and try getting there with more HP. I know nippo's give you some health but it's tiny.

10. How do you deal with the auto aim, I often end up attacking enemies I don't want to and miss out on SoB chances because my character went for the guy next to him, whats the most awkward is when auto locks onto an enemy behind me for some reason

Hmmm running out of remaining characters xD It would be nice if when you guys leave answers you do it like...(just for making things easier for me)

question #. Answer

ex: 3. Because you're a noob TC xD
#2velvet_hammerPosted 3/16/2013 12:15:00 PM(edited)
If your talking about NG3, or RE its not a real NG game.. Put it down pick up NG1, or 2.. Then come with your questions, there entirely different.

Tomonobu Itagaki,:)
---
"F*** weed, I'm smoking Bob Marley's ashes."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6svFbckq5s
#3_tanjil_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 12:18:25 PM
velvet_hammer posted...
If your talking about NG3, or RE its not a real NG game.. Put it down pick up NG1, or 2.. Then come with your questions, there entirely different.

yeah I realize it is, I plan getting the other two when I find them used somewhere. But the way I see it I may as well start with the most dumbed down one and work my way up. It'll make NG3 more enoyable that way.
#4velvet_hammerPosted 3/16/2013 12:19:09 PM
after further inspection, you are playing Razors Edge.. How dare you call that a Ninja Gaiden game

Tomonobu Itagakis future self is rolling over in its grave
---
#5velvet_hammerPosted 3/16/2013 12:21:30 PM
_tanjil_ posted...
velvet_hammer posted...

yeah I realize it is, I plan getting the other two when I find them used somewhere. But the way I see it I may as well start with the most dumbed down one and work my way up. It'll make NG3 more enoyable that way.

no no no no.. only play ng1,2 or the sigma versions. both are 15 or less.. get off your lazy behind and get them.. what ever happens after sigma2 shall be forgotten for ever, same with dmc4
---
#6_tanjil_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 12:26:21 PM
velvet_hammer posted...
no no no no.. only play ng1,2 or the sigma versions. both are 15 or less.. get off your lazy behind and get them.. what ever happens after sigma2 shall be forgotten for ever, same with dmc4

So you;re saying to skip 3 RE altogether? I can't imagine how much worse it is than the 1 and 2. Whats the fundamental problem with the combat? I know people had gripes about only 1 weapon so they added 2 more. But actual combat mechanic wise, what happened?
#7ninja_poopPosted 3/16/2013 12:31:17 PM
I haven't played 3 or RE, but in past NG games

You need to learn the enemy's patterns to know which attacks you can block, and which ones you can. You block the ones you can, and when you know an unblockable attack is coming, or an attack that makes you stagger, you can dodge, or dodge after the stagger.

And when it comes to canceling combos, equip the shurikens and press B, you can't cancel seperate attacks, but it interupts the combo for a much shorter recovery, and you can start a new combo, and yes you probably going to want to press the combos faster, you don't need to wait until an attack is done to start the next.
---
Not changing my signature until marijuana is legalized. Monday, January 18, 2010, 8:08 PM
-11.06.12 Colorado/Washington become the first states
#8A_Nonny_MoosePosted 3/16/2013 12:33:43 PM
You'll get much better answers on the RE board. The main issues with NG3RE compared to NG1 and 2 is input lag and poor difficulty balancing. Getting hit at the end of a dash is just one of problems the previous games didn't have.

Even people who were great at NG are having to completely relearn NG3RE because the timing and usefulness of most abilities is off.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
#9_tanjil_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 12:37:26 PM
That's what I thought. It didn't seem normal for an action game that has this much praise to be messing up something as basic as evading. Guess it's just a NG3 problem. And use shurikens for cancels. I guess projectiles have the same usefulness as guns do in DmC -_-
#10A_Nonny_MoosePosted 3/16/2013 12:43:26 PM
NG3RE is an improvement over NG3 in many ways, but it's not close to being as good as NG1 and 2. I would highly recommend playing those.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png