This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Difference between Dark Souls and Demon's Souls?

#1Undead587Posted 3/17/2013 8:00:52 PM
Long story short, my brother, who encouraged me to play these games, claimed he didn't care much for Demon's Souls and found it frustrating to play. He, however, said Dark Souls was the best game he's played in nearly a decade.

I tried out Demon's Souls, but my experience was similar to his on Demon's Souls. By the time I was burned for the 10000th time by the dragon on the early dungeon or crushed by falling rocks, thus losing most of my health, I wanted to devour a small kitten. Alive.

That being said, how is Dark Souls any different from Demon's Souls?
#2Mattywright77Posted 3/17/2013 8:07:17 PM
I actually like Demons better I find its more focused and polished. That being said from was involved with both(they developed demons with sony of japan and Dark by themselves) they also changed publishers so its a "spiritual sucessor". However its pretty much a sequel in all but name so they are not that different.
---
Now playing : Yakuza 3, Doom 3:BFG Edition, Mass Effect 3.
#3L0ZPosted 3/17/2013 8:14:58 PM
One is property of Sony the other is owned by namco
---
[Cell Broadband | 256MB XDR | RSX 256MB GDDR3]
#4cirkmetroidPosted 3/17/2013 8:18:27 PM
Ok, so your question has been talked about literally EVER SINCE DARK SOULS CAME OUT. You'll surely find answers here, as the games are very popular, but you might want to ya know...go to the dark souls forums.

Some short answers:

Mana doesn't exist. You get a number of casts on a spell, which means you can't suck on grasses all day to replenish mana.

Bonfires are a thing, they are kinda like mini-checkpoints. They reset all the normal enemies, refresh your health/castings and reset your estus flasks to whatever the current maximum is for that bonfire. (You can raise them by spending humanity, if you're human)

There's some changes to the equipment model, meaning the CARRY burden doesn't exist, but the worn burden is a lot more prominent. To balance this, there's this thing called poise. Basically, having a high poise (high armor) you can do more actions without getting interrupted by someone else beating you up. IE: Little rapier guy won't be interrupting you swinging that huge greasword if your poise is high, and he's going to take it in the face if he tries to trade swings with you.

The levels are not based around a central hub that you select the level. There's pretty much no loading of the game, meaning if you clear certain requirements (opening doors, etc) you can walk from one point to the next, if you wanted to. It's done really well if you ask me.

It really seemed to me that the crystal lizards were not as crucial as they were in Demon's Souls. I mean, they existed, but they were not as common, and the resources gained from them, in most cases, was not needed as much. It's a good thing I think, if you're cautious about what you make, you won't find yourself screwed.

Dark Souls has received a lot of patches and updates to scale the difficulty down a bit. Souls from kills were increased, etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, Demon's Souls had a few patches, but I don't remember them being as notable. The individual fights are the same, don't get me wrong...but you don't have to farm as much as you used to, assuming you weren't using an exploit before the patches happened.

Multiplayer is done a lot differently. It's not just "oh, an invader" there are different types of invaders, and in some rare situations, you can even find yourself with 2 enemy players.

If you're a carebear kind of person, who refuses to engage in PVP, you'll have to play certain sections of the game offline. Sucks to be you! You can go back to playing CoD at any time!

Running away from a person is the DUMBEST thing you could really ever do in Dark Souls, as the games horrible netcode makes it possible to be backstabbed even if you're 50 yards away from them.

Speaking of netcode, Dark Souls uses peer to peer lobbies, so connecting to people is more difficult, ESPECIALLY if you are trying to summon a specific friend. Don't do this, it's kinda dumb, and doesn't fit into the mythos of the game.

Dark Souls is a much bigger game.

Many bosses can be gimped, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was in Demon's Souls.

Both games are great...if you liked one and you don't like the other, I find that hilarious, as they have so much in common.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
.....still really hoping there will be more Legacy of Kain games...somehow!
#5NashtheLionPosted 3/17/2013 8:20:45 PM
Dark Souls is better in every way minus the community.

Best action RPGs on the PS3. ( for me )
Easily have about 300 hrs on that bastard. Even when I went back to it after several months, I "casually" put another 13hrs on a new character. :|
---
I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit. - Bill Hicks
#6DocDeliciousPosted 3/17/2013 8:37:39 PM
DS is way f****** better than DkS. Only thing DkS has over its predecessor is weapon variety.
I'll put it this way;
Demon's Souls is an Action RPG, whereas Dark Souls is an Action game with some RPG elements.

However, any one of the King's Field titles puts both "Souls" games to shame.
---
Disgaea 4, Metal Gear Rising, Valkyria Chronicles, Grand Theft Auto IV, Tomb Raider 2013, Vanquish, Need For Speed: MW 2012, Urban Trials, Monster Hunter FU
#7devastatorX2Posted 3/17/2013 8:38:57 PM
Dark Souls is better in almost every way.
---
Friends don't let friends be Leaf fans.
#8The_BonesPosted 3/17/2013 8:49:37 PM
The biggest difference is the world structure. Dark Souls is more open world while Demon's Souls is more level based with a hub. Healing items are a lot more limited in Dark Souls and there is no longer mp but a certain number of spell uses kind of like earlier FF games. I also consider Dark Souls to be harder so if thats what you didn't like about Demon's Souls you probably wouldn't like Dark Souls. I actually like Demon's Souls slightly more I think but really the gameplay is very similar in both games.
#9kingrat2314Posted 3/17/2013 9:33:24 PM
NashtheLion posted...
Dark Souls is better in every way minus the community.

Best action RPGs on the PS3. ( for me )
Easily have about 300 hrs on that bastard. Even when I went back to it after several months, I "casually" put another 13hrs on a new character. :|

This guy knows what he's talking about. The game is great, but then you get guys who think people who don't like PvP are CoD fans. Which really is quite head scratching.
#10cirkmetroidPosted 3/18/2013 3:48:12 PM

This guy knows what he's talking about. The game is great, but then you get guys who think people who don't like PvP are CoD fans. Which really is quite head scratching.

Referring to a gamer as a CoD player works on a lot of levels. First of all, it's a popular game series. It's also commonly slandered on gamefaqs. I've always slandered it myself, never understood the appeal, etc.

More importantly, dying in CoD doesn't mean anything. If you're invaded in Dark Souls, often times you have to repeat significant portions of the level.
---
PSN: Cirkustanz
.....still really hoping there will be more Legacy of Kain games...somehow!