This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is record of agarest war?

#1Stanemac12Posted 3/17/2013 8:10:03 PM
Looking for a decent SRPG lately, is this one any good? How is the depth and does it offer a lot as a SRPG? how does it compare to other SRPGs like FFT or disgaea?
#2Stanemac12(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 4:49:04 AM
bump
#3KaRnaGe101Posted 3/18/2013 7:11:50 AM
Havent played it, but have you played Valkyria Chronicles? Best SRPG on the PS3 IMO.
---
GT: Karnage101
#4RyuuHou25Posted 3/18/2013 7:30:02 AM
It's pretty minimal in the strategy department, you use pre set patterns to place your guys, of which you can have up to 4 or 5...I believe it's 4, but I could be mistaken, haven't played in a long while.

The general idea is to then move them so the link up with one another, and they all have different patterns that another person has to be standing in to link up, and if you link people up, they can all attack an enemy at the same time, as long as said enemy is within range of the person you're using to initiate the attack.

And then if you combine various attacks, ie one person use x attack, another uses x attack, they do a combo. You pretty much need to use combos all the time, and as the game progresses, they get ridiculously long animations, and enemies take a long time to die as it is anyways.

There are no cutscenes, everything is text in a box with character portraits. There are key points where you must choose go here, go here, or do this. Choosing one alters the path you take through the game, in the first one, there's about a bajillion of these points and the number of ways you can go through the game gets pretty ridiculous.

The story is nothing to write home about either, and most of the chatter/talking is generally not related to the story, but to give character development, and even then, it's long and arduous.

There's actually a fairly in depth weapon creation and leveling system, as well as ridiculous amounts of attacks you can learn and put onto your characters to find new combos and all, but since the combat is slow and boring, it's ultimately wasted.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#5Madridiq8ePosted 3/18/2013 7:37:39 AM
it's not as good as I expected ..
I played the game, there isn't room for much of strategy not like Vandal hearts of Disgaea games.

but it is fun and it's really really long, and the idea of you choosing to marry a girl and have your kid and he'll carry on your legacy is pretty nice.

check out the video review and gameplay before you decide.