This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Goddammit, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is amazing

#1theofficefan99Posted 3/17/2013 10:14:24 PM
I've spent a little over a dozen hours with this game, and I can't get enough of it. Norse Mythology is represented quite well here, and the atmosphere is spot-on. It's vicious, grim, and somewhat beautiful all at the same time. Visuals to this day look good. The pre-rendered backgrounds look awesome and the sprites, especially Lenneth's, all look great. The new pre-rendered CGI cutscenes exclusive to the PSP version are pure eye candy.

The story itself is interesting. It's straightforward, but the Ending A path has a lot of plot to it, and that plot is quite well-done. I love the story behind each Einherjar-- most are sad, and while some of the meaning and depth behind each story is lost in translation, I can still manage to really appreciate all of these little stories.

The music, even though it's comprised of MIDI tracks, it's absolutely fantastic. There are countless memorable tracks and they're all well-composed.

The gameplay is my favorite part. It's non-linear, meaning that there's a lot of freedom, but you have a time limit, meaning that there's a great balance between freedom and restriction. There's a lot to discover and do, and I love the fact that there's so much replay value. Each difficulty gives you a different experience, and your overall adventure varies greatly on which ending path you follow. The towns are full of interesting people and stories, the dungeons are lengthy and some are cleverly designed, and the combat is excellent. It's far more fun than just picking commands, as timing is key here and you control your full party at the press of a button. It's more simplistic than Silmeria, but it's still fun and has considerably more depth than your average RPG.

Probably the only bad things I can say about the game are the translation, which is a little wonky and I feel like the story would be a lot stronger if the translation was better, and the voice acting is pretty weak for a lot of the characters. Aside from that, I really have no complaints.

tl;dr: I love this game and the more time I spend with it, the more I love it. I see myself replaying this at least two more times. I'm going through the Ending B path and I'm on Normal mode right now. I have to see the C Ending, and then I'm going to play on Hard Mode and go for the A Ending. Can't get enough of this gem. I really want a Valkyrie Profile 3 now.

Anyone else agree?
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#2IlluminoiusPosted 3/17/2013 10:14:59 PM
no
#3cdaroPosted 3/17/2013 10:17:48 PM
I absolutely love Valkyrie Profile. I hunted it down one day after playing Radiata Stories, to see some more Tri-Ace stuff. It's definitely one of my favorite games, let alone RPG's.

One of the things I hate about it though is the slooooow start. Not as bad as other games, but it takes a long time to get started. It almost puts me off of repeated playthroughs.
---
http://i.imgur.com/dhoyf.jpg
#4dudupupuPosted 3/17/2013 10:18:47 PM
Is this on PSN? If so, I'm going to have to pick it up.

I had the original, but sold it.

I agree - amazing game (from what I played). They do not make original stories like this anymore.
---
Jesus the Christ - the perpetual novelty through which humankind can remain constantly challenged to think, love, and, ultimately, LIVE. We are born dead.
#5theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 10:20:25 PM
cdaro posted...
I absolutely love Valkyrie Profile. I hunted it down one day after playing Radiata Stories, to see some more Tri-Ace stuff. It's definitely one of my favorite games, let alone RPG's.

One of the things I hate about it though is the slooooow start. Not as bad as other games, but it takes a long time to get started. It almost puts me off of repeated playthroughs.

The only part that felt slow to me was the prologue (which is optional) and the 40-minute-long opening (though it served as a really nice introduction). Doesn't put me off from future playthroughs at all.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#6theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 10:23:36 PM
dudupupu posted...
Is this on PSN? If so, I'm going to have to pick it up.

I had the original, but sold it.

I agree - amazing game (from what I played). They do not make original stories like this anymore.

Not sure if it is, but I'm playing it on the PSP. It doesn't really change anything aside from removing the two anime cutscenes and replacing them with around a dozen CGI cutscenes that really add to the experience.

And yeah, it's really amazing. I love how unique it is. I love Silmeria, too, but I feel like this game is much better.
---
#7THE_PS1_PATRIOTPosted 3/17/2013 10:32:04 PM
The game will crush you. Seriously.

Oh you want money? Odin: OK kid don't spend it all at once. Here's your allowance.

Powerful warrior on the squad? Odin: Send him to me or else!!! You must please me!!!

Story was amazing how you saw how each person life ended.
---
PLAYSTATION PATRIOT
#8SayoriaPosted 3/17/2013 10:33:12 PM
I loved Silmeria, the only VP game I played. I want another just like it.
---
Sailor Moon returns 2013! O_o
#9theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 10:34:32 PM
THE_PS1_PATRIOT posted...
The game will crush you. Seriously.

Oh you want money? Odin: OK kid don't spend it all at once. Here's your allowance.

Powerful warrior on the squad? Odin: Send him to me or else!!! You must please me!!!

Story was amazing how you saw how each person life ended.

You can easily go by without spending much of your "money," and you only have to send a handful of your characters to Valhalla-- you can keep a good party of 4 or 5 people the whole game, no problem.

It has a steep learning curve, but once you understand all the little intricacies, it's a pretty easy game.
---
#10cdaroPosted 3/17/2013 10:36:09 PM
Yeah. It may seem like it's pretty strict at first, but you can actually get away with a lot and keep Odin happy. You don't even have to give him a single artifact throughout the game. As long as you send up a guy that meats the requirements for that act, you're good.
---
http://i.imgur.com/dhoyf.jpg