This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hate being ahead of the curve (for kids / people with kids)

#1theshovellerPosted 3/18/2013 8:43:05 AM
Alright, so one of my co-workers points this out to me today, knowing that I'm an Eagle Scout and that I'm big into games:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/03/14/boy-scouts-can-now-earn-a-merit-badge-for-game-design/

Yeah, the Boy Scouts now have a merit badge for video games. Kinda cool, especially given that it's for making a game (video game or not - it's an all-inclusive "games" badge.) Kinda wish they had this back when I was in school, because I would have totally aced not only this, but the Cub Scout equivalent:

http://techland.time.com/2010/04/28/cub-scouts-get-loops-and-pins-for-video-games/

Anyway, figured I'd point this out since I know some people around here have kids, or you never know if there's a 16-year-old Scout looking for one more merit badge and didn't know about this. They also have a Robotics one, too, but I didn't check into that one too much.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#2the5elementPosted 3/18/2013 8:45:23 AM
what does video games have to do with outdoor skills and learning to survive in nature and the elements?
thats the whole point of cubs/scouts

ugg
---
I'll tell you what i do like: A killer, a dyed-in-the-wool killer, cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough - Zorg
#3theshoveller(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 8:48:47 AM
the5element posted...
what does video games have to do with outdoor skills and learning to survive in nature and the elements?
thats the whole point of cubs/scouts

ugg

Why do they have a merit badge for computers, music, or cinematography? Boy Scouts is about more than just "going outdoors and learning to survive," though that is a hefty portion of it.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"
#4RayconPosted 3/18/2013 8:53:01 AM
Boy Scouts is dead to me.

DEAD TO ME.
---
What happened to survival horror?
Ironically, it did not survive - TheCyborgNinja
#5este914Posted 3/18/2013 9:37:02 AM
Raycon posted...
Boy Scouts is dead to me.

DEAD TO ME.

Someone had a bad history with 'em ........
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#6psprulz2007Posted 3/18/2013 9:46:00 AM
I have 3 boys and I wouldn't even come close to considering letting them into the boy scouts. Its bad enough there are dozens of sex offenders around me.