This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When you think about the Mass Effect Trilogy has good re-play value

#11plasticman13Posted 3/18/2013 11:04:34 AM
I've played through the series 4 times already, so yes it does have plenty of replay value.
---
For the latest news on Final Fantasy Versus XIII with interviews, e-mails, etc. with the development staff, please visit:
http://bit.ly/g917a5
#12GradyHooverPosted 3/18/2013 11:10:39 AM
arczero_x posted...
I am greatly considering on getting into the series. Is Mass Effect 1 worth a play or should I just skip it and move directly to Mass Effect 2?

Here's the thing to do: Buy the Mass Effect Trilogy box set. It's only 30 bucks, and you get all three. More importantly, you get a free copy of "Mass Effect: Genesis" with ME2, which is a motion comic that summarizes ME1 and lets you make most of the major decisions that happen along the way. That way, if you skip ME1, you can still get a quick run-through on the plot in 2, and you're basically still paying $15 bucks apiece for 2 and 3, so there's no major loss at all.

Although the first is the weakest in terms of its play mechanics (and I'm really grateful the later games did away with the vehicle segments almost entirely, because those make up a huge part of ME1 and they handle like crap), it's also the most customizable if you're looking into refining the details of your armor and weapons, etc. And I think it's definitely worth a play - there's no better way to get involved in the story than being there from the start.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#13SpurnerPosted 3/18/2013 11:22:17 AM
I just finished 1 a week ago and it was certainly worth playing through. I will suggest this, though: don't do all the side missions and planet explorations at once; break it up a bit between missions. If I never see that damn Mako again it'll be too soon.
#14VigilantStevePosted 3/18/2013 11:30:39 AM
GradyHoover posted...
arczero_x posted...
I am greatly considering on getting into the series. Is Mass Effect 1 worth a play or should I just skip it and move directly to Mass Effect 2?

Here's the thing to do: Buy the Mass Effect Trilogy box set. It's only 30 bucks, and you get all three. More importantly, you get a free copy of "Mass Effect: Genesis" with ME2, which is a motion comic that summarizes ME1 and lets you make most of the major decisions that happen along the way. That way, if you skip ME1, you can still get a quick run-through on the plot in 2, and you're basically still paying $15 bucks apiece for 2 and 3, so there's no major loss at all.

Although the first is the weakest in terms of its play mechanics (and I'm really grateful the later games did away with the vehicle segments almost entirely, because those make up a huge part of ME1 and they handle like crap), it's also the most customizable if you're looking into refining the details of your armor and weapons, etc. And I think it's definitely worth a play - there's no better way to get involved in the story than being there from the start.

Where can you get the Mass Effect Trilogy for $30? Legit question, I've been planning to pick it up soon and haven't been able to find it for less than $60 new. I don't plan/want to buy it if it's used though.
#15guineathewopPosted 3/18/2013 11:32:31 AM
arczero_x posted...

God yes. it is the only actual RPG in the series so it's the best all around experience.
#16GradyHooverPosted 3/18/2013 11:32:39 AM
VigilantSteve posted...
GradyHoover posted...
arczero_x posted...

Where can you get the Mass Effect Trilogy for $30? Legit question, I've been planning to pick it up soon and haven't been able to find it for less than $60 new. I don't plan/want to buy it if it's used though.

Huh, okay, sorry for the bad info. When I got it a couple of weeks after the box launched, I got it for $30. I thought that was the price everywhere, but apparently it was a short-term sale, because I can't see anything to back that price up now. So I apologize for misleading.

Hmmmm. Makes the decision a little tougher, I suppose.
---
backlogger.tumblr.com - The Backlogger, where I wade through an ever-expanding backlog of video games
#17VigilantStevePosted 3/18/2013 11:51:26 AM
GradyHoover posted...
VigilantSteve posted...
GradyHoover posted...
arczero_x posted...

Huh, okay, sorry for the bad info. When I got it a couple of weeks after the box launched, I got it for $30. I thought that was the price everywhere, but apparently it was a short-term sale, because I can't see anything to back that price up now. So I apologize for misleading.

Hmmmm. Makes the decision a little tougher, I suppose.

That's quite alright, it happens quite often. I'll probably still pick it up at $60 if the price doesn't drop or go on sale sometime within the next month.
#18RabillionPosted 3/18/2013 11:54:39 AM
I can't play ME2 on PS3 anymore. The long load times on the Normandy are a really big turn off.

I own all three games on PC but only ME2 and 3 for my PS3. The series does have a lot of replay value but I've probably beaten Dragon Age a lot more times.
#19arczero_xPosted 3/18/2013 1:33:34 PM
How long for each games in the series? I really just want to focus more on the story and not too much on getting much better weapons, etc. How long do you guys think will that take me?

Thanks for the input everyone!
---
http://backloggery.com/arczero
Whatever that is on your mind is my signature.
#20GradyHooverPosted 3/18/2013 1:54:55 PM
arczero_x posted...
How long for each games in the series? I really just want to focus more on the story and not too much on getting much better weapons, etc. How long do you guys think will that take me?

Thanks for the input everyone!

On average, from my experience...

Mass Effect tends to last around 20-25 hours.
Mass Efffect 2 tends to last around around 35 hours, give or take.
Mass Effect 3 tends to last around 25-30 hours.

Of course your mileage may vary. If you want to get the best ending in ME2, you'll be closer to 40 hours, but you can probably blast through in 30 hours if you don't care about killing off a bunch of characters due to your own negligence (lol). If you want to get the best ending in ME3, you'll be a little above 30 hours. Etc.
---