This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How important is story to you in a video game?

#1Silkman3430Posted 3/18/2013 10:39:02 AM
Ignoring fighting games, how important is the story to you in a video game that you get? Are you a "Story mode sucks in most/ all games. I prefer gameplay!" type of person? Or do you feel that story mode is just as important, or even more important than the gameplay itself?

Or "other"?
#2theofficefan99Posted 3/18/2013 10:40:37 AM
The gameplay needs to be good. I don't know if I can stomach a game with a great story but horrendous gameplay.

However, if the gameplay is good, I'll need a good story to back it up.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#3JessicaJungxoPosted 3/18/2013 10:43:01 AM
other. sorta.

I NEED a good story in RPGs. For FPS/TPS it depends on the game. I only play Halo, Gears of War, and Killzone for the multiplayer modes (don't give a crap about the story) For sports games, I enjoy a good story, but it's not necessary..
---
PSN: Rutgers Student XBL: Jessica Jung xo
Now playing Demon's Souls! (at this rate, forever)
#4toadiemanPosted 3/18/2013 10:43:01 AM
Not very.
---
PSN: toadieman
#5anonymous46773Posted 3/18/2013 10:45:20 AM
Depends entirely on the game. Heavy Rain needed an amazing story. Hotline Miami... not so much.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#6regsantotomasPosted 3/18/2013 10:46:07 AM
Story can enhance the overall experience though it isn't always necessary. It's not about what is more important but how it is implemented in the game itself. Choosing story vs. game play vs. graphics are all false dilemmas.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#7Fear the MONKEYPosted 3/18/2013 10:59:16 AM
yeah, like others said, it depends on the game and genre. but a good balance is needed. an amazing story with broken controls or something is terrible. and a game with great gameplay but zero story (that "should" have story. like an rpg or something) might be fun for a bit but wont have lasting appeal for me. gameplay usually hooks me in, but story is generally my endgame
---
psn id: FearTheMonkey
#8TomoEK9Posted 3/18/2013 11:04:12 AM
If the story is good, I can get past mediocre gameplay. A good game needs to be engaging on various fronts.

While good game play is nice, a bad story that doesn't interest me makes me wonder "Whats the point in it all?"

A good story with bad game play I think "It would be nice to get farther but the mechanics are making it impossible"
#9FoofyheadPosted 3/18/2013 11:05:50 AM
Story is irrelevant to the quality of a game. Gameplay is key. That said, if a game does actually have a good story (1/1000 games have them), it sure doesn't hurt.

I'm more concerned about character development and party interaction than story, but that still comes second to gameplay.
---
Oh, blow it out your ass.
#10true_gamer80Posted 3/18/2013 11:07:37 AM
depends on the genre and game.
---
Kool Kieth for president!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeknB3ceRNA