This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will we ever see another Gauntlet game?

#1DoublesoubaPosted 3/18/2013 12:36:17 PM
I really enjoyed the series, but we haven't seen a new entry since Seven Sorrows in 2005. I would really like another game. It's a series that wants people to play together, and that's just so rare. Many games are just single player, and that's fine, but this gen is really lacking in couch co-op games (and co-op games in general). All we get now is CoD and other shooters that just want you to play online. Well, I'm sick of shooters. We need another Gauntlet! What do you guys think?
---
Drakengard 3 is announced! I won't remove this until I the game is released, to spread the word!
#2JanayBerryPosted 3/18/2013 12:50:18 PM
It was from "Midway". "Midway" became "NetherRealm", which is under WB. So I'm guessing WB has to get the rights or something like that.

In any case, I'll only be interested in a downloadable "Gauntlet: Dark Legacy" of the Gamecube version.
---
PSN ID: Jim_Berry
Favorites (since 3/17/13): DC Universe Online, Resident Evil 6, Hard Corps: Uprising, Mass Effect, Double Dragon Neon, Saints Row: The Third.
#3Doublesouba(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 1:05:21 PM
JanayBerry posted...
It was from "Midway". "Midway" became "NetherRealm", which is under WB. So I'm guessing WB has to get the rights or something like that.

In any case, I'll only be interested in a downloadable "Gauntlet: Dark Legacy" of the Gamecube version.

But what if we can get a new game, with beautiful graphics, the combat of Seven Sorrows (but that's it. The rest of SS is a step back), and all the hidden items, characters, and mission hub of Dark Legacy/Legends? We could get an awesome game. It would be like Dark Legacy, but with better combat and new levels and collectables. That would be sweet!
---
Drakengard 3 is announced! I won't remove this until I the game is released, to spread the word!
#4PhaseSlaethePosted 3/18/2013 1:05:58 PM
I'd pop an unheard of boner if we got another good Gauntlet game.
#5Persephone42Posted 3/18/2013 7:12:32 PM
Well I'm not a "guy," but I'd love the utter hell out of a new Gauntlet. I have every single home release of it ever made.

What gets me is I actually bought it twice, with a brand new PS2, and neither disc will let me fight the genie so I can move on to the last levels. (Referring to Dark Legacy). That aggrivated me so much, I literally never opened my copy of Seven Sorrows. Wth.
#6JanayBerryPosted 3/18/2013 7:19:03 PM
Doublesouba posted...

But what if we can get a new game, with beautiful graphics, the combat of Seven Sorrows (but that's it. The rest of SS is a step back), and all the hidden items, characters, and mission hub of Dark Legacy/Legends? We could get an awesome game. It would be like Dark Legacy, but with better combat and new levels and collectables. That would be sweet!

Not going to lie, but that would be awesome in my opinion.

Building a new game my be questionable for them. I think they should just re-release a more recent Gauntlet to see if people are still interested in the IP.

I have "Gauntlet" and "Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows" downloaded on Xbox 360 from their Marketplace. I also have "Gauntlet II" downloaded from PSN, so yeah, I'd be pretty interested.
---
Favorites (since 3/17/13): DC Universe Online, Resident Evil 6, Hard Corps: Uprising, Mass Effect, Double Dragon Neon, Saints Row: The Third.
#7JanayBerryPosted 3/18/2013 7:21:48 PM
Persephone42 posted...
Well I'm not a "guy," but I'd love the utter hell out of a new Gauntlet. I have every single home release of it ever made.

What gets me is I actually bought it twice, with a brand new PS2, and neither disc will let me fight the genie so I can move on to the last levels. (Referring to Dark Legacy). That aggrivated me so much, I literally never opened my copy of Seven Sorrows. Wth.

...which is why I preferred the Gamecube version. I never encountered any hiccups. Plus, I loved that game's music.
---
#8SophisticationPosted 3/18/2013 7:22:33 PM
Terrible game... terrible gameplay... terrible characters... terrible everything.
---
As a true sophistocrat I am the best at what I do--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
PSN:sophistocrat
#9DrEaM_420Posted 3/18/2013 8:27:02 PM
Sophistication posted...
Terrible game... terrible gameplay... terrible characters... terrible everything.

No way...

I remember being 4, playing the NES with my dad, we played through 1 & 2, no internet or strategy guide. I also love the Dreamcast version, 4 player fun.

The series could use a re-boost, I don't care about the story, its 4 people kicking ass, they do need to step up the characters and gameplay....it would be excellent if they stole some Diablo 2 themes such as custom items, each character leveling and gaining skills...it will always be a series that is remembered.
---
Dream on..
#10boredofyouPosted 3/18/2013 9:10:37 PM
As others have said, I think Gauntlet has potential to fill a gap in this Gen that sorely needs filling..

Bringing back the good old party co-op hack n slash could be a great thing! I feel it is a risky request though.. Like we saw with Seven Sorrows, you can't just drop some shine on outdated game mechanics and have an instant classic. In fact, if they tried, I'd wager it would be roundly panned. I do think a psn/live offering with perhaps some HD touch ups and maybe even some spell effect enhancements could get over well enough.

I personally enjoyed Seven Sorrows for what it was even though I've never been a huge fan of the series. I think adding some depth to the characters (think two or three skill trees) would really put the game over the top and could generate interest in a higher end, bigger budget release of the franchise. Of course, this would invite all the ills of this Gen as well but the grindy nature of the game itself would serve the model well and might not even come off as too offensive to gamers who normally can't stand it. You know, given the context of the game and such..

*shrugs*
I'd plunk down some cash for it.
---
If you fell for it, it isn't cheap. It is just something that works on you. Adapt.. Or curl up in the fetal position, your call.