This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 power supply issue?

#1Luketheman5Posted 3/18/2013 6:45:42 PM
Hey all,

I have a PS3 Fat 40gb model from 2008, it's worked fine all these years without issue.

However, two weeks ago, I pressed the power button only to hear a "beep.......beep beep beep". I wasn't looking at the ps3 at the time, but i quickly turned around and saw a flashing red light. I didn't see any yellow, but I was still worried. I flicked the power switch off and on again and it started working fine. 2 weeks later I managed to play through 3 games (around 30 hours total) with no issues.

It's been exactly two weeks and my PS3 did it again this morning, but the same off and back on switch flick fixed it and I played for an hour no worries.

My PS3 is PS+ subscribed and thus it autouploads every night, but it's never had a problem doing that before.

Any ideas what the problem could be? I was thinking YLOD but signs of that are usually when it shuts down during gameplay, not before it even turns on properly, plus it gave me a whole two weeks of no issues.
---
Currently Playing: Nothing for now.
PSN: Luketheman5
#2aryanbrarPosted 3/18/2013 7:00:55 PM
start the backing up, red blinking = hardware failure

80% of cases is rsx(graphic chip related), 10% are power supply and rest 10% are cell(cpu).

i had the same model and it died during a download. mine turned out to be a rsx problem. so i fixed it, so i could back everything up.

don't bother fixing it if it breaks, thats just a temporary solution.
#3Luketheman5(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 7:10:58 PM
Every save file is backed up to the PS+ cloud....Is there anything else I can do?

Is it guaranteed to die?
---
#4MelvinX93Posted 3/18/2013 7:20:23 PM
Luketheman5 posted...
Every save file is backed up to the PS+ cloud....Is there anything else I can do?

Is it guaranteed to die?

It's also a common known glitch, where the ps3 just Spazzes out.

I get it every so often (most noticable was Batman Arkham City) but it poses no danger.
But if he starts doing it constantly. Every day, more than once a day, then start saving and backing up and be prepared to get a new ps3.
---
PSN: MxWhiteKnight (Please include GFaqs in your message if not, it will be ignored)
#5Luketheman5(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2013 7:55:20 PM
The game I'm playing wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? Because the ps3 doesnt even turn on.
---
#6MelvinX93Posted 3/18/2013 8:52:31 PM
Luketheman5 posted...
The game I'm playing wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? Because the ps3 doesnt even turn on.

No, ZOE HD has its framerate issues INgame, it doesnt affect anything else.

But if it doesnt turn on, then it could meant that it's gone.
---
PSN: MxWhiteKnight (Please include GFaqs in your message if not, it will be ignored)
#7Luketheman5(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 5:46:16 AM
Just came into it blinking red again :( Guess it couldn't turn on during the auto upload.
---