This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can RPGs be great without a good story?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Can RPGs be great without a good story?
3 years ago#41
"Great"? No.
3 years ago#42
yes, along as the gameplay mechanics works very well.
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
3 years ago#43
pariah23 posted...
"Great"? No.

Interesting.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
3 years ago#44
FF X-2 had one of the best battle systems in the series, even if the story was pretty cheesy. Also, It was one of the few rpg's that I went for a 100% because of all the side stuff. I didn't make it all the way, but I came pretty close to 100%
3 years ago#45
Yes they can. Look at Pokemon. Basically the same story for years, and yet it is still among the most popular games for every Nintendo handheld.
Why do I even bother?
3 years ago#46
It can be good but not great.
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
3 years ago#47
pokemon
PSN: Snippuh
Raptr: Snippuh
3 years ago#48
Quote:Yes they can. Look at Pokemon. Basically the same story for years, and yet it is still among the most popular games for every Nintendo handheld.
@cryptosperidium
Popularity does not automatically mean its a great rpg
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
3 years ago#49
jammies posted...
digidevilwil posted...
Games are all about the gameplay, no matter what genre. I mean,who the hell plays a 50+ hour game for probably 5 hours total of that time spent seeing story?

Agreed. I forget stories to many excellent games, but I don't forget how they play.

Great, you guys basically made this topic the anti story brigade with how freaking stupid that viewpoint is. Good job. I hope you are proud of yourselves hating on a medium much like how old men hated movies back in the 1920's.

"Ba! Citizens Kane! What a piece of crap! Movies should just exist to entertain! Not to cause me to think!"

People who have the Gameplay>Story viewpoint... yeah... considering how video games care more about story per damn year... yeah... you guys are utter fools.
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
3 years ago#50
vashtricham posted...
Quote:Yes they can. Look at Pokemon. Basically the same story for years, and yet it is still among the most popular games for every Nintendo handheld.
@cryptosperidium
Popularity does not automatically mean its a great rpg

Except, Pokemon is a great RPG, Well B/W sucked though
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Can RPGs be great without a good story?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived