This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can RPGs be great without a good story?

#41pariah23Posted 3/19/2013 10:40:34 AM
"Great"? No.
#42peter_888Posted 3/19/2013 10:42:26 AM
yes, along as the gameplay mechanics works very well.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#43jammies(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 6:04:05 AM
pariah23 posted...
"Great"? No.

Interesting.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#44xxxRemmyxxxPosted 3/21/2013 6:09:26 AM
FF X-2 had one of the best battle systems in the series, even if the story was pretty cheesy. Also, It was one of the few rpg's that I went for a 100% because of all the side stuff. I didn't make it all the way, but I came pretty close to 100%
#45CryptosperidiumPosted 3/21/2013 6:46:38 AM
Yes they can. Look at Pokemon. Basically the same story for years, and yet it is still among the most popular games for every Nintendo handheld.
---
Why do I even bother?
#46vashtrichamPosted 3/21/2013 7:08:09 AM
It can be good but not great.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#47VarronPosted 3/21/2013 7:08:40 AM
pokemon
---
PSN: Snippuh
Raptr: Snippuh
#48vashtrichamPosted 3/21/2013 7:09:36 AM
Quote:Yes they can. Look at Pokemon. Basically the same story for years, and yet it is still among the most popular games for every Nintendo handheld.
@cryptosperidium
Popularity does not automatically mean its a great rpg
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#49mtjormitchPosted 3/21/2013 7:34:28 AM(edited)
jammies posted...
digidevilwil posted...
Games are all about the gameplay, no matter what genre. I mean,who the hell plays a 50+ hour game for probably 5 hours total of that time spent seeing story?

Agreed. I forget stories to many excellent games, but I don't forget how they play.

Great, you guys basically made this topic the anti story brigade with how freaking stupid that viewpoint is. Good job. I hope you are proud of yourselves hating on a medium much like how old men hated movies back in the 1920's.

"Ba! Citizens Kane! What a piece of crap! Movies should just exist to entertain! Not to cause me to think!"

People who have the Gameplay>Story viewpoint... yeah... considering how video games care more about story per damn year... yeah... you guys are utter fools.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#50PHEEliNUXPosted 3/21/2013 7:33:32 AM
vashtricham posted...
Quote:Yes they can. Look at Pokemon. Basically the same story for years, and yet it is still among the most popular games for every Nintendo handheld.
@cryptosperidium
Popularity does not automatically mean its a great rpg

Except, Pokemon is a great RPG, Well B/W sucked though
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"