This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tomb Raider - the pinnacle of the action-adventure genre

#1BronxstaPosted 3/19/2013 5:41:36 PM(edited)
A long read but it's more of an analysis/review
----
I had never played a Tomb Raider game before. I had heard of the series, seen gameplay and the movie, and was aware of the series' impact of the genre.

Personally Uncharted 2 is still my all-time favorite game ever. But as much as I enjoyed U3, I felt somewhat disappointed in the third game. It just didnt have have same impact as 2 and so many moments were ruined before release. It was fun but wasnt the mind-blowing experience I was expecting

But Tomb Raider? Wow, never has a game hooked me like this one. I wasn't expecting much and hadn't really followed the game. But the game just destroyed any and all expectations I had. Lara's development is powerful and so rare in games, definitely a better example of the lost innocence/becoming a killer trope than Far Cry.

The environments, the graphics, the little details and touches all combine to create such an oppressive yet intriguing atmosphere. I love that you can explore, that there are optional areas to return to, that you gradually become more able and efficient at exploring the world.

The combat is a high point, IMO. Naughty Dog could learn a few things from TR's more open environments, their semi-tactical approach to combat, the visceral feel of every weapon and melee strike. (Seems they have with The Last of Us.) Hopefully the next Uncharted develops some of these features

Now my favorite part: the set pieces. Unlike most gamers it seems, I absolutely love set pieces and scripted moments. Crysis 2, the Uncharted series, Modern Warfare, others...those are games that I replay to experience those awesome moments again. Like I said previously, I felt kind of cheated with Uncharted 3 because basically all the major set pieces had been shown before the release. The cargo plane, the cruise ship, the chases, and there was really no surprises. Tomb Raider, on the other hand....any glimpses of its jaw-dropping moments were only from its first half and they were just that: glimpses. The actual moments were just incredible and rivaled or surpassed anything in Uncharted series. And the connection you have with Lara's character enhances the tension and intensity in ways Uncharted never did

Like I said in the beginning, Uncharted 2 still reigns supreme in some areas but now it's joined by Tomb Raider as the pinnacles, the gold standards of the genre. Now that's something I'd never thought I'd say
#2keybladeXIIIPosted 3/19/2013 5:38:50 PM
Wow, I actually could have written the exact same thing myself. I never played the older Tomb Raider, loved U2, wa disappointed by U3 for the same reasons, etc.

I can't wait for what the Tomb Raider team does next.
---
I hate seeing sigs with PC specs on them.
PSN: tookhster ------ Proud owner of a Wii, PS3, 360, 3DS, Vita, and now a Wii U!
#3The_AkxsionPosted 3/19/2013 5:41:43 PM
ZELDA

Not a fan of wanna be movie cinematic set piece gimmick games. Plus the new Tomb Raider is not Tomb Raider.

I also dislike Lauren Craft very much.

Zelda>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lauren Craft
---
Back by popular demand!
#4ninjakrakenPosted 3/19/2013 5:47:51 PM
I have played all the Tomb Raider games to date (except the mobile TRs), I am a big fan of Tomb Raider and I enjoyed the latest one very much, I liked it even more on my second playthrough.

However I am sick of the comparisons between Tomb Raider and Uncharted. For one, I wouldn't even consider them to be in the same genre, Uncharted is more of a TPS with a few action/adventure elements thrown in for variety. You may like one over the other but both series in general are very good.
---
PSN: lady_mystic
Mind your blasted manners! Uncivil, uncouth, uncultivated! - Lady Smith
#5Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 5:51:02 PM
The_Akxsion posted...
ZELDA

Not a fan of wanna be movie cinematic set piece gimmick games. Plus the new Tomb Raider is not Tomb Raider.

I also dislike Lauren Craft very much.

Zelda>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lauren Craft

In your opinion

But when I say action-adventure, I mean games in the same vein as Tomb Raider or Uncharted. I guess you could even include games like The Saboteur or Assassins Creed or even Arkham City: fast paced action, platforming elements, set pieces, exploration...

Zelda's more of a fantasy action-RPG, right? Never really played any Nintendo series
#6ModernFOXXPosted 3/19/2013 5:54:57 PM(edited)
The combat is it's weak point...
That "cover" system is terrible. Since you can't actually take cover, you just stand behind it, which doesn't always work properly. It was the biggest reason for a lot of my deaths (i played on hard btw) Because sometimes part of your body would stick out. The roll system didn't really help much either...

I also felt some of the upgrades you could get were useless, mainly the animal ones. Because after a certain point, barely see ANY animals. And the axe kill, whats the difference between it and the rock kill?

And something small for me, was the blood. I had NO problem with the deaths, i didn't think they were bad like some other babies. But the blood was like Saints Row 2, it was basically just like jelly or jam... it just took away from the gore, and the overall realism.

Then the checkpoints were BROKEN AS CRAP. Sometimes i would die during a fight, then re-spawn at the next checkpoint as if i beat it! That ruins the experience for me, because i didn't get to experience that fight fully...

The game was fun and I enjoyed it, but it was not the pinnacle of the action-adventure genre....
---
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3
#7Retroxgamer0Posted 3/19/2013 5:58:20 PM(edited)
i had the same feeling with ff13-2..got 100 hours out of it. square enix is the best development team in the world they only get hate here because of tough love..everyone knows theyre the best. tomb raider and 13-2 both have se's name on the disc, and theyre the two best games this gen. who cares about halfassed uncharted and all of these crappy fpses with dlc multiplayer maps to soak you for more money. kill die kill die, soo much fun if youre 12. ppl diss 13 who cares what you think that game had a soul, everything written in that game can be its own poetry. the music is a freaking masterpiece and deserves its own monument, and the graphics are unrivaled. what do these same losers have? some crappy cashin game for 60 plus 30 dlc? 60 alone got me two final fantasies and three dlc chapters over 250 hours of final fantasy experience with the best tech specs in the world. whats 80 get these fools? boring already done shooters with no story, no character development, no soul, just cheap cash ins :( tomb raider also has soul. i read every piece of monument i found in that game, it wasnt a cheesy rushed game like god of crap ascensions with goofy ass college humor trophy sets..it was a mature experience..an unrivaled one..
#8Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 5:56:36 PM
ninjakraken posted...
I have played all the Tomb Raider games to date (except the mobile TRs), I am a big fan of Tomb Raider and I enjoyed the latest one very much, I liked it even more on my second playthrough.

However I am sick of the comparisons between Tomb Raider and Uncharted. For one, I wouldn't even consider them to be in the same genre, Uncharted is more of a TPS with a few action/adventure elements thrown in for variety. You may like one over the other but both series in general are very good.

I never compared them or said one was better than the other. In fact I said they're on the same pedestal in terms of execution

The only comparison I stated was that they're in the action-adventure genre. Any negative comments were actually aimed towards Uncharted 3, its substance and marketing, and not contrasting the two series
#9ModernFOXXPosted 3/19/2013 6:05:24 PM(edited)
Retroxgamer0 posted...
i had the same feeling with ff13-2..got 100 hours out of it. square enix is the best development team in the world they only get hate here because of tough love..everyone knows theyre the best. tomb raider and 13-2 both have se's name on the disc, and theyre the two best games this gen. who cares about halfassed uncharted and all of these crappy fpses with dlc multiplayer maps to soak you for more money. kill die kill die, soo much fun if youre 12. ppl diss 13 who cares what you think that game had a soul, everything written in that game can be its own poetry. the music is a freaking masterpiece and deserves its own monument, and the graphics are unrivaled. what do these same losers have? some crappy cashin game for 60 plus 30 dlc? 60 alone got me two final fantasies and three dlc chapters over 250 hours of final fantasy experience with the best tech specs in the world. whats 80 get these fools? boring already done shooters with no story, no character development, no soul, just cheap cash ins :( tomb raider also has soul. i read every piece of monument i found in that game, it wasnt a cheesy rushed game like god of crap ascensions with goofy ass college humor trophy sets..it was a mature experience..an unrivaled one..

insults fps and other shooters for being stale and bland...plays the 13th/14th game in ONE series...great logic. And you're implying everyone buys every piece of dlc for every game they buy...And play RDR, and tell me there's no character development. You are blinded by your fanboyism...and resort to insulting us for liking a different genre..ou came into this topic just to insult this genre, and then edited your post to add more hate to it. Whats the point?
---
Why Albert...why? ~Sincerely, a Cardinals fan...No loyalty at all from what could've been the greatest Card ever, Albert Pujols.-------PSN: ANDR0iD_v3
#10Retroxgamer0Posted 3/19/2013 6:06:46 PM(edited)
youre kidding right? final fantasy is by far the most original series i know. the gameplay was never reused, this is the first time in their entire 25 or so years they actually made a full trilogy using the same gameplay, yet they were extremely successful anyways. they prettymuch invented the rpg. most crap series on the ps3 are already on their fourth or fifth iteration. uncharted got stale after the second one..final fantasy is 14 in, and still going, because they dont reuse the same gameplay over and over.