This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

LA Noire PS3 Noise bad for the system?

#1metroid00700Posted 3/19/2013 7:39:34 PM
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I just got around to borrowing LA Noire and it is constantly accessing my PS3 making this horrid noise. I read this is a common issue but found nothing on whether or not it is bad for the console. I'm asking because I'd prefer to have my PS3 not die early and I could always grab the PC version on sale (and complete!) to play the game. Luckily I'm not far. Also installing isn't an option, if that's even possible.
---
Intel Core i7-3610QM/2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT/12GB DDR3 RAM
SEGA Dreamcast: THE Best Gaming System since 9/9/99
#2u_madPosted 3/19/2013 7:48:20 PM
I think it's a warning sign your thermal paste is drying up, is it a fat ps3? Might want to replace the paste with some arctic silver because if yur paste is dry your ps3 can't cool itself effectively anymore and you can get the ylod easier.
---
"Oh it's not that bad, look, I have my own bucket!"
http://i.imgur.com/LFuql.jpg
#3metroid00700(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 7:51:33 PM
u_mad posted...
I think it's a warning sign your thermal paste is drying up, is it a fat ps3? Might want to replace the paste with some arctic silver because if yur paste is dry your ps3 can't cool itself effectively anymore and you can get the ylod easier.

My PS3 is fine. This is the only game I own (out of 40) that does this and I have a 160GB model from 2011. But yeah, if more of my games did this, I'd be concerned about my console.
---
Intel Core i7-3610QM/2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT/12GB DDR3 RAM
SEGA Dreamcast: THE Best Gaming System since 9/9/99
#4WantedOutlawPosted 3/19/2013 7:58:12 PM
That game does run the PS3 pretty hard. Even my slim was pretty loud playing that game. I remember when it came out reading that a ton of people were having overheating problems with it and it actually killed a lot of old phat PS3's.
#5u_madPosted 3/19/2013 8:02:28 PM
Oh ok since it's a slim it's probably ok
---
"Oh it's not that bad, look, I have my own bucket!"
http://i.imgur.com/LFuql.jpg
#6doraemonllh1989Posted 3/19/2013 8:20:22 PM
i remember this game **** up alot of old models consoles
---
I like good games
#7FullChargeredPosted 3/19/2013 10:17:26 PM
I work at a video game store that deals in used consoles and games. I use what is called the LA Noire test. If the system YLODs after a while we change it to defective and don't sell it. If it lives, we sticker it and sell it. They get loud though, whether they live through the experience or not. That game is just a little intense for PS3 systems.
---
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
#8crazyman32Posted 3/19/2013 10:20:35 PM
I played L.A. Noire on my Slim and you could barely tell it was on when I played it.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I apologize for nothing.
#9656stoogePosted 3/19/2013 10:32:11 PM
i normally don't believe these rumours regarding games bricking consoles, but I was warned in a thread last year that the PS3 version really pushed the console to it's limit. I ignored the warnings and got it on PS3 only to play it for one day, go to turn on my PS3 the next, and have it start blinking lights and shutting down.

I returned the game that day and got the 360 version instead, and my PS3 has been fine ever since, but after all the warnings I got on this forum it struck me as more than a coincidence that my PS3 screwed up almost instantly after playing the game.

Funny thing is i only played a few more missions on my 360 before shelving the game anyway. Really wanted to like the game but it wasn't my cup of tea.
---
Meet the new love of my life--
http://itotd.com/view/80/