This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why didnt Sony make the PS3 ''FULLY'' backwards compatible (besides profit) ???

#1Jx1010Posted 3/21/2013 12:58:03 AM
I would like to play ''any'' PS1 or PS2 game on my PS3...
I wouldnt mind buying it from PSN if I had to .........
But Sony doesnt have ''ALL'' games available.

I know with the current situation, one is better off keeping the old system
but the main reason is:
I just wanna save some space in my room and not have several consoles.
#2Raven_CyarmPosted 3/21/2013 1:01:17 AM
Because it'd make the PS3 cost more.
---
You're not the official anything of any board.
Stop it.
#3WantedOutlawPosted 3/21/2013 1:07:14 AM
Raven_Cyarm posted...

No. That's not why it's not there now and that's not why it was removed. Sony has admitted they removed it because people were using their PS3's as expensive PS2's and not buying new PS3 games because of it. They removed it to push PS3 game sales.

I think at some point they just realized they didn't need to add it back because they knew they could get people to repurchase the games digitally through PSN. If they just let people play their disc based PS2 games then they're not going to make any money from the sales.
#4Ticking_DeathPosted 3/21/2013 1:08:41 AM(edited)
Raven_Cyarm posted...

The fully functional software emulation says otherwise, but if Sony let us use that, they wouldn't get much in sales on PS2 Classics.
---
Using a bow sure has it's drawbacks... DOIHOIHOIHOI
PSN: CliveEnduro
#5killakPosted 3/21/2013 1:09:20 AM

and rumble is incompatible with the new sixaxis controller.

Don't believe everything you're told. They depend on ignorance.
---
When the evil Shredder attacks, These turtle boys don't cut 'em no slack.
#6izza20Posted 3/21/2013 1:33:44 AM
Saying "Why didnt Sony make the PS3 ''FULLY'' backwards compatible (besides profit) ???" is like saying "Why am I hungry (besides not eating for three days)?"

There is one cause and one cause alone.
#7Mass_CarrierPosted 3/21/2013 1:37:11 AM
For the same reason the PS4 won't be natively supporting it. I think it was a Giantbomb podcast episode where they mentioned that, apparently, the PS2 having backwards compatibility was more of a fluke than an intentional design decision, where they basically put a PS1 'into' the PS2 to test some stuff and then figured that "hey, this thing can also run PS1 games", but the same thing didn't happen with the PS3.

http://www.semperthree.com/backwards-compatibility.html also seems educational.
---
Don't just post youtube links. Say what the **** they are.
http://i.imgur.com/WaN8M.png
#8MuintirPosted 3/21/2013 3:02:04 AM(edited)
as recent hacks prove, all ps3 systems are fully backward compatible with ps1&2 games. Sony decided to be greedy and remove the feature so you would be forced to rebuy your games.
#9groz24Posted 3/21/2013 3:04:56 AM
I'm going to go with there is no reason besides profit. You're probably fairly safe assuming that's pretty much the reason any company does anything.
#10este914Posted 3/21/2013 3:29:40 AM
WantedOutlaw posted...
Raven_Cyarm posted...

No. That's not why it's not there now and that's not why it was removed. Sony has admitted they removed it because people were using their PS3's as expensive PS2's and not buying new PS3 games because of it. They removed it to push PS3 game sales.

I think at some point they just realized they didn't need to add it back because they knew they could get people to repurchase the games digitally through PSN. If they just let people play their disc based PS2 games then they're not going to make any money from the sales.

I hear what you're sayin but ... I still shake my head at that. My PS2 library consists of over 80 games. And my PS3 library is probably around the same. Just because I can play older games on my new system doesnt mean I would neglect the current gen games, I dont buy that 1 bit. I am a Sony supporter and have been since the beginning but I think they were wrong on this decision, it's upsetting to the long time fans who wanted ONE system that could do everything.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !