This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why didnt Sony make the PS3 ''FULLY'' backwards compatible (besides profit) ???

#41nihilist212Posted 3/21/2013 11:21:04 AM
Muintir posted...
as recent hacks prove, all ps3 systems are fully backward compatible with ps1&2 games. Sony decided to be greedy and remove the feature so you would be forced to rebuy your games.

They don't "force" anyone to buy anything. You want to play your old games, keep your old console. It's as simple as that.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#42Jinzo 111887Posted 3/21/2013 11:31:11 AM(edited)
They could allow it, but let people know it's an alpha or beta and might be unstable. Of course, this could also help with PS2 classics, since it would allow Sony to find issues with games using gamers to find them rather than having their check every game for errors and fixing them. This might help more PS2 classics get on PSN faster, which has the potential to increase PS2 classic sales.

That's a good idea. Sure, it wouldn't be 100% reliable, but it'd still be worth doing. They provide friggin' Playstation Home as a beta to anyone who wants to use it....and that thing is just embarrassing and freeze / crash-prone. There's no way it could be any worse an idea than that. :)
Cited the wrong person, but I'm glad you like the idea. There is a potential problem with scratched disc/finger prints, but maybe it could be sorted out by having them list the type of problem with them game via a problem tag. Skipping, audio playback, cutscene trouble, etc. If it's something that turns out to be common in one spot in the game for many people, Sony could take the time to look into it, if not, they could just ignore it for the time being.

They don't "force" anyone to buy anything. You want to play your old games, keep your old console. It's as simple as that.
It's more of a backup plan thing. Disc based systems are more susceptible to wear and tear because of moving parts, so keeping those old systems will work, but it's not a real back up plan. Buying preowned systems or trying to repair it might not always be a good option. Preowned systems are sold "As is" meaning if it doesn't work, it's your problem. Repairing it could be rather expensive and may not last long. As for emulators, the problem with them is the copyrighted BIOS are needed for many Playstation emulators as well as the only worthy PS2 emulator. See the problem there?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_kd0Wpq4KE
He runs through walls and waits in halls. It's you he wants to track, the old man covered in black.
#43Kai101xPosted 3/21/2013 11:46:59 AM
FOXSOLID posted...
Because its not needed and I'm happy as could be that PS4 will not have backwards compatibility either.

You wanna play PS1,2 and 3 games? Play them on a PS1, 2 or 3. Simple as that.

I'm not buying a PS4 just so I could play my OLD games, its NEXT Gen. Remember that.

The problem with your argument is that consoles go out. Maybe a lot of people likes BC for this simple fact. Two days after I purchased persona 4, my slim ps2 went out. BC with the slim ps3 I have would have been so nice instead of having to order another ps2.
#44Viet0nePosted 3/21/2013 11:56:42 AM
Ticking_Death posted...
Raven_Cyarm posted...
Because it'd make the PS3 cost more.

The fully functional software emulation says otherwise, but if Sony let us use that, they wouldn't get much in sales on PS2 Classics.

You lost the argument already. The emulator is not fully functional. There are several bugs in dozens of games.
---
Currently Playing: Civ5
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#45nihilist212Posted 3/21/2013 11:59:07 AM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
They could allow it, but let people know it's an alpha or beta and might be unstable. Of course, this could also help with PS2 classics, since it would allow Sony to find issues with games using gamers to find them rather than having their check every game for errors and fixing them. This might help more PS2 classics get on PSN faster, which has the potential to increase PS2 classic sales.

That's a good idea. Sure, it wouldn't be 100% reliable, but it'd still be worth doing. They provide friggin' Playstation Home as a beta to anyone who wants to use it....and that thing is just embarrassing and freeze / crash-prone. There's no way it could be any worse an idea than that. :)
Cited the wrong person, but I'm glad you like the idea. There is a potential problem with scratched disc/finger prints, but maybe it could be sorted out by having them list the type of problem with them game via a problem tag. Skipping, audio playback, cutscene trouble, etc. If it's something that turns out to be common in one spot in the game for many people, Sony could take the time to look into it, if not, they could just ignore it for the time being.

It's more of a backup plan thing. Disc based systems are more susceptible to wear and tear because of moving parts, so keeping those old systems will work, but it's not a real back up plan. Buying preowned systems or trying to repair it might not always be a good option. Preowned systems are sold "As is" meaning if it doesn't work, it's your problem. Repairing it could be rather expensive and may not last long. As for emulators, the problem with them is the copyrighted BIOS are needed for many Playstation emulators as well as the only worthy PS2 emulator. See the problem there?

I agree, consoles break. But more often than not, with the older consoles they last a really long time with good care and so it's not like you'll have to buy a new one every time you want to play an older game. I mean I still have my old PS1, 2, and Gamecube and they run perfectly. I see what you're saying, but someone saying they're forcing people to buy something is just not true.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#46Jon_GodPosted 3/21/2013 1:26:11 PM
Because it would cost more for sony in the long run, and actually lower the sales of their digital games.

Sadly the truth is depressing.

If they went through the trouble of making and maintaining a working PS2 emulator on the PS3, it would need loads of work to make sure all of the PS2 library worked, as there are quite a few games in the PS2 library. Additionally, they would need to make sure as people find bugs they were fixed, and in the end, you are talking about people being paid money to do this.

In addition, why would people buy PS2 classics, if they could get it cheaper elsewhere, and not pay anything to Sony?

So, depressingly so, here we are. I wish my 60gb hadn't died.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#47Jinzo 111887Posted 3/21/2013 1:26:20 PM
Ticking_Death posted...
The fully functional software emulation says otherwise, but if Sony let us use that, they wouldn't get much in sales on PS2 Classics.

You lost the argument already. The emulator is not fully functional. There are several bugs in dozens of games.

Can't lose money on what you're not selling, the PS2 has a huge library, but Sony's only selling a handful of those games on PSN.

As for the emulator, it hasn't been tested throughly, so we don't know what games have bugs and how devastating they are. Some could be small stuff like the static when no monsters are around in Silent Hill PS1 Classic version, while others could be a kick to the crotch or worse. However, by allowing emulation of PS2 games from the disc, this would help with finding problems with PS2 games so they can be investigated and them prepared for PS2 classic release faster.
---
Giygas used the Red Ring of Death to sabotage Slenderman's plan to use Xbox 360s and Halo to brainwash kids.
#48TomoEK9Posted 3/21/2013 2:01:13 PM
I don't understand these people who say they don't want a console that can do more. Having a BC PS3 is nice because I can pop in my PS1/2 games (yes I still play those) or play my PS3.

By their logic, the PS3:

-shouldn't have internet browsing, your computer does that
-play music files, that's what a sound system is for
-play DVDs, that's what a DVD player is for
-play blu-ray movies, that's what your blu-ray player is for (which also can't play DVDs by their logic)
-can't browse pictures from a gallery, you have a camera for that.

And to do all that, you can just hook up all those devices to your TV, I mean it doesn't take up THAT much space, or you can just move them in and out as required, its not that difficult right?

If sony removed all that, the cost of the PS3 would go down significantly, which would mean a cheaper console for you, why wouldn't you want that?

Or how many of your folks have a smart phone? oh wait, I suppose having a multi-purpose device is too much. So you carry around a phone, an MP3 player, a small netbook, and a gaming device with you where ever you go. I mean it's not that much to carry, right?
#49este914Posted 3/21/2013 4:27:51 PM
Some of the posts in this thread .... smh
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#50J-FlyPosted 3/21/2013 4:54:43 PM
I thought the first batch of PS3 were 100% BC. My first PS3 was the Motorstorm bundle and it was BC but not with every game. I remember having issues with Hitman Trilogy. The first Hitman played with no problem but the other two games has jumpy visuals and screen tear.
---
---
PSN: J-Fly