This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Holy ****!!!!!!! Bioshock infinite's budget is 100 million, 200 million with...

#41MegawizardPosted 3/21/2013 2:53:41 PM
DelsinRowe posted...
theshoveller posted...
Sophistication posted...
Nobody buys pc games... they steal 'em.

Yup, just like nobody buys console games because they can steal those, too.

It is easier to pirate on PCs than on consoles. Well maybe not easier, but PC gamers just pirate more.

Consoles have the 2nd-hand market; that's even more taxing.
---
^( ' ' )^
#42ClarkyMalarkyPosted 3/21/2013 2:57:45 PM
Infinite has been selling like hotcakes on PC via preorders. Now, I don't know if bath salts are involved with your thinking, but at least pretend to research before you share your baseless opinions.
---
Your ugly face is starting to piss me off.
#43PHOENIXZEROPosted 3/21/2013 3:00:57 PM(edited)
Wouldn't be surprised at the 100M cost for the game but I highly doubt the 100M cost in marketing. Also having to sell more than the previous two games combined just to break even is a risk no company would be willing to take in this day and age.
---
Search engines are awesome, you can find the answer to the question that's been asked a hundred times before in a manner of seconds, more people should try it.
#44crazyman32Posted 3/21/2013 3:04:26 PM(edited)
ClarkyMalarky posted...
Infinite has been selling like hotcakes on PC via preorders. Now, I don't know if bath salts are involved with your thinking, but at least pretend to research before you share your baseless opinions.

The PC and PS3 preorders of the Premium Editions are sold out on Gamestop.com as well.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I apologize for nothing.
#45the_tic_beginsPosted 3/21/2013 3:26:43 PM
theshoveller posted...
Yeah, looking at stuff like this, it makes me wonder what goes through developer's heads nowadays. Not in a bad way, but I'm honestly, genuinely curious if the developers of today have the same sort of methodology as they did back with the Atari era, where some of them said "Hey, check out what this little guy can do! I had a ton of animation frames for him, simplified the sprite for him, and now it looks real smooth! Let's make a game based around that." And then - boom. Birth of Pitfall.

Pitfall took months of tria l and error to get working and pushed the hardware to its limits.
Game informer had a article in a recent issue. Interesting read.
---
Reviews are god. Except when they review something I like poorly. Then all reviews are paid or hating.
#46PraetorXynPosted 3/21/2013 3:50:12 PM
ClarkyMalarky posted...

Seriously... this. I've pre-ordered it myself on Steam.

FYI, those sites that report game sales don't report digital distribution numbers, because digital distributors don't release public sales figures; probably something close to 90% of PC sales are on Steam.

Also... ever think that hurr durr games sell far more on consoles cause far more people have consoles than gaming PC's, seeing as how consoles cost about 3 times less? -.-

Common sense. It's good to have.
#47Devilman_AmonPosted 3/21/2013 3:51:59 PM
100 million for a FPS?

wtf
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#48L0rdCrump(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 3:53:55 PM
After watching IGN's videos with the beginning to the game, I think I'm going to get it for PC... the graphics look amazing on PC. I don't know how well my FPS will be but what I saw of early streams/videos on the PS3 version, it looked atrocious.
---
|--|o\/o|-|~ Can't let you do that, Star Fox!~~~|
|--\_O/--|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
#49DigablePlanetsPosted 3/21/2013 3:55:48 PM
LAGswitchLARRY posted...
gtaking5
Posted 3/21/2013 12:51:15 PM
message detail

How upset are you kid?

Not at all my little brokitten

100 mill and no multiplayer is ridiculous

Serious waste of greens

pew pew.

You came off as a little incendiary with your seemingly pejorative PAAG comment earlier, but your use of "brokitten" has made me realize that you are, in fact, quite all right.
---
Project Blowed... What's the Code?
#50ValedictorianXDPosted 3/21/2013 3:56:00 PM
PHOENIXZERO posted...
Wouldn't be surprised at the 100M cost for the game but I highly doubt the 100M cost in marketing. Also having to sell more than the previous two games combined just to break even is a risk no company would be willing to take in this day and age.

You'd be surprised. When it comes to funding a game these days, AT LEAST half of the funds go straight to marketing. Whatever is left goes into production costs. That's sad.

JoveHack posted...
megamatics posted...
danny_S_06 posted...
No wonder devs are going out of business with costs this huge.

The cost being Huge is all their own fault. The Eggs can only be in 1 basket until it eventually topples over. Good grounded and cost effective games will always be more sustainable.

Shamus Young wrote that this kind of budget overrun is the result of quadrupling staff to get a 4-year development quality game out in 1 year. It doesn't work that way, for the same reason nine women working together can't produce a baby in one month.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/10240-Where-EA-Went-Wrong

His previous column is also apropos.

The result is wildly uneven quality.

Mass Effect: Massive Interface Fail Part I
http://gamedesignreviews.com/reviews/mass-effect-interface-fail/

While I normally don't give escapist much credit (since it's escapist), Shamus is on the ball for this one. I've been in development groups where the guy in charge would try to speed things up by adding more people to the group. Since then, when I've worked at professional studios or interned at one, I've seen more of the same. In the end, this sort of tactic never works for a variety of reasons.

I find it strangely odd that these publishers try to crank out these multi-million dollar projects in order to get a decent profit when indie developers are doing the same thing on budgets less than a few 100k.
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[ |||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]