This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Entitled Gamers, Corrupt Media, Greedy Publishers

#1-Damien-Posted 3/21/2013 12:53:40 PM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-21-entitled-gamers-corrupt-press-and-greedy-publishers

Well Said! tis the state of this gaming industry.
#2PhaseSlaethePosted 3/21/2013 12:54:13 PM
Why do people use "entitled" like a bad thing for the people who STARTED this industry?
#3mogar002Posted 3/21/2013 12:54:19 PM
Bad topic posters
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#4LAGswitchLARRYPosted 3/21/2013 1:08:23 PM
win bump
---
I always win online. DEWD RAIDER: aka UNCHARTED: A Tomb Raider wannabe corridor simulator for casuals who can't play platform or explore on their own.
#5The_AkxsionPosted 3/21/2013 1:16:48 PM
Too bad you have to be verified in the game industry to post. Was going to rip him a new one.

So, expecting a Final Fantasy, RE, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, etc. to be like Final Fantasy, RE, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, etc., is being entitled???

It's like them turning Hungry Hungry Hippos into a card game and then telling Hungry Hungry Hippos fans, "**** you, you have to like it!", is ridiculous. And then people on GameFaqs will call you a troll if you don't like the casual watered down changes, such as cinematics, set pieces, QTEs and super linear clausterphobic corridors.

When I play a Final Fantasy game I expect it to be like, well, Final Fantasy, obviously, and I do not even know what the hell genre the XIII series is even trying to be.

Waiting for the VG industry to turn Hungry Hungry Hippos into a military corridor shooter with a cover system. Oh and you have to buy the true canon ending as DLC.
---
BACK IN AKXSION beby! Back by popular demand!
Do you even lift? I lift.
#6jim200Posted 3/21/2013 1:20:00 PM
Attention article, Attention topic.
---
Thinking Is Destructive
PSN: Jemi200 ::: 3DS FC: 5129-0276-3428 Name: Jemi
#7theshovellerPosted 3/21/2013 1:20:25 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
Why do people use "entitled" like a bad thing for the people who STARTED this industry?

What, with the "entitled gamers" bit? I think there's some truth to it, and it's why games like Bioshock Infinite have a budget in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Gamers' expectations have risen along with technology - that's not always a bad thing. However, it's gotten to the point where expectations are actually speeding past what the technology can do.

People complain about a game like Mass Effect where you make so many small choices over the course of three games, but the ending boils down to one of three "big" outcomes. To have a completely customized ending, taking into account every single possible outcome for every single possible event, the technology just isn't there for it quite yet. It'd require a massive amount of time to write the outcomes for every "logic gate" outcome to every situation, every permutation of those outcomes throughout the course of the three-game saga, and then coding and testing every single branching path and permutation of the ending. While the tech - the actual hardware - is able to store that much data, the tech from a creation end simply isn't there, let alone storage size. A game like that would easily take up many, many multiple gigs on a PC, and could have many, many installation discs on a game console.

Just so you can make sure that when you kill "Important NPC of Note X" the story doesn't grind to a halt because the game doesn't know what to do now that it's run out of possible options to give you "Story Mission Y."

That's one example. Another simple example would be "what would happen if a game had literally no voice-over data anywhere in it - battles, text, movies, story sequences, cutscenes, codex entries, etc.?" Sure, smaller indie games get away with that at times, but what's the justification from a gamer's point of view? 9 times out of 10, it's because "Well, they're a small indie studio. Probably wouldn't be good if they tried to do voiceover stuff." Imagine if a big publisher or development house tried that - what would people think if there were no voices at all throughout the entirety of Ni No Kuni, or Dynasty Warriors Gundam, or Halo?

So naturally, gamers have higher expectations today than they did even as short as ten, fifteen years ago. However, those expectations have rapidly overcome what's possible right now.
---
You ever meet one of those Don Quixote types and just wonder "What the hell are they thinking?"