This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people hate jrpg games these days?

#1cheatermasterPosted 3/21/2013 1:39:58 PM
I can't help but notice most people, if not then at the very least some people, don't like jrpg games these days. Why is that people don't like jrpg games anymore? I've played video games all my life and I really enjoy jrpg games. Course I usually see more on the handheld systems but I do see some on the console systems. But I don't get why people don't like jrpg games anymore. Gee, people hate everything these days.
#2nihilist212Posted 3/21/2013 1:41:54 PM
Jesus Christ. Do we really need topics on this same subject EVERY DAY?
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#3monkeypahngPosted 3/21/2013 1:43:22 PM
This is Gamefaqs, we hate every game that we've never played.
---
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang
#4Mattywright77Posted 3/21/2013 1:44:19 PM
nihilist212 posted...
Jesus Christ. Do we really need topics on this same subject EVERY DAY?

How else would we recognize the PS3 board.
---
Now playing : Mass Effect, Bayonetta.
#5kingstagPosted 3/21/2013 1:46:01 PM
I can't answer for everyone but in my experience nearly every JRPG I've played this gen has been a big step backwards from the last gen or at the very least repeating the same old tired cliches I was already getting bored of.

This would be my guess:

Old JRPGers are bored with the genre.

New JRPGers are turned off by the poor new games and don't have the nostalgia for the older games.
#6majin nemesisPosted 3/21/2013 2:00:01 PM
maybe because multiplayer and trophies
multiplayer is not the main focus of an Jrpg so people can't owned other people with their skills or send hate mail when they lose and trophies take to long so they can't win platinums fast enough to brag that they more platinums then everyone
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#7SchoolRumblePosted 3/21/2013 2:09:12 PM
its cause voice acting. nobody wants to be seen playing games with stupidly dressed little girls & unreal highly pitched voices talking like they're idiots.

they need new scripts and they need to ditch the annoyingly overly enthused voices. the stories are good its just how they're played out that's odd.
---
PSN: BlindyTwo
Gamertag: Blindy II
#8PhaseSlaethePosted 3/21/2013 2:31:43 PM
kingstag posted...
I can't answer for everyone but in my experience nearly every JRPG I've played this gen has been a big step backwards from the last gen or at the very least repeating the same old tired cliches I was already getting bored of.

This would be my guess:

Old JRPGers are bored with the genre.

New JRPGers are turned off by the poor new games and don't have the nostalgia for the older games.

This.

The heading for most "J"RPGs these days is comprised of underage girls, unnecessary fan service, lackluster gameplay mechanics, and overall an uninspired piece of GARBAGE, CLOGGING UP THAT BROWN ROAD OF YOUR BUTTHOLE SIDEWAYS~

The same with manga and anime. Japan CAN do better. They just do not.
#9LevittaPosted 3/21/2013 2:32:09 PM
A pattern I've noticed is that there aren't a lot of them being released on home consoles. Most of them are being developed for portables.

This leads to the fact that what is being released on consoles is pretty much being dominated by products released by niche developers (NIS, Idea Factory, Gust). Pretty much all the the titles released by these developers are completely different from conventional JRPGs. Often these niche games pander to otaku or have a focus on over the top humor.

People often look down at the appeal of these niche games and now generalize the genre, because of the prominence of niche games during this console generation.
---
Trails in the Sky for the PSP, has the best writing and setting I've seen in a RPG. Please support it so the sequels can come out.
#10DragoonGriffithPosted 3/21/2013 2:42:03 PM
Because most of the good ones are on handhelds nowadays.

On console there's also a good number of good JRPGs, but the problem lies in that they are all scattered around.

Unlike the PS1/PS2 era, now you must have a Wii, PS3 and a 360 (lost odyssey) to appreciate some of the rare good console JRPGs.

Sadly, I think that ESPECIALLY the PS3 board is full of trolls who hate JRPGs of today, because they only own a PS3.
Not saying all of them are like that, of course.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ugfYWuG.gif